SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for classical stuff in Atmos I noticed this, which seems to be an official list: Dolby Atmos - Best of by Deutsche Grammophon (DG) Some intereresting stuff there like the Barenboim/Paris recordings of Saint-Saens, which I didn't know had been done in MCH. Also looks like a lot of Rostropovich and Karajan's Grieg, alongside a lot of new stuff and SACD releases.

Looking for classical stuff in Atmos I noticed this, which seems to be an official list: Dolby Atmos - Best of by Deutsche Grammophon (DG) Some intereresting stuff there like the Barenboim/Paris recordings of Saint-Saens, which I didn't know had been done in MCH. Also looks like a lot of Rostropovich and Karajan's Grieg, alongside a lot of new stuff and SACD releases.

That's a nice list. Most--maybe all?--new DG releases have also been getting Atmos mixes. Plus, they've been remixing a lot of stuff from the Warner Classics vault.

Last edited:
Classical - Surround Sound - Ambience:

I only have classical music from demo albums (Quad, DS, Living Stereo etc.), I don't have much experience listening to classical music in surround sound.

I was wondering if the recording of the venue ambience makes or breaks a surround sound classical recording (I don't know if the goal is to record the ambience in such a way as to transport the listener "to" the venue, or just to give a generic sort of surround effect)?

Kirk Bayne

One thing that blew me away in surround was the church organ on Wakeman's six wives of Henry VIII. The room ambience really gave you a sense of the enormity of sound, and the space. I have always thought recorded pipe organs sounded kind of flat in stereo, due to the amount of natural reverb and the distant miking.

Does anyone know of other surround pipe organ recordings?

Thx

One thing that blew me away in surround was the church organ on Wakeman's six wives of Henry VIII. The room ambience really gave you a sense of the enormity of sound, and the space. I have always thought recorded pipe organs sounded kind of flat in stereo, due to the amount of natural reverb and the distant miking.

Thx

Ths is an absolute MUST...Holst's The Planets transcribed for organ. The sound is HUGE

61JKGZyRBrL._SL1213_.jpg

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=7536#reviews

Thx
There's so many. This is a nice set, for instance.

AE10761-Bach-Johann-Sebastian-Complete-Organ-Works_imagelarge570.png

Thanks!

Blowing my own horn here: I used a lot of orchestral instruments on this soundtrack I recently mixed into surround; if you like classical music I suspect you will enjoy it. Although it also has a bunch of Moog & other stuff thrown in.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...game-soundtrack-discrete-quad-lossless.31599/
Track 7 was somewhat inspired by the moodyness of Rachmaninoff's "isle of the dead" and that famous painting he was inspired by. Although I am certainly no Rachmaninoff!

Requesting recommendations for MCH versions. I’m reminiscing back to my high-school band days, with fond memories of playing these. All formats OK (SACD, BR, DVD-A, download, streaming).

• Dvořák Symphony No. 9. ‘From the New World’ - I presently own an SACD from the Budapest Festival Orchestra / Iván Fischer. An excellent performance and recording to my ears.
  • Borodin Symphony No. 1. - Searching for a multichannel version, or recommendation for the best quality stereo recording.

Requesting recommendations for MCH versions. I’m reminiscing back to my high-school band days, with fond memories of playing these. All formats OK (SACD, BR, DVD-A, download, streaming).

• Dvořák Symphony No. 9. ‘From the New World’ - I presently own an SACD from the Budapest Festival Orchestra / Iván Fischer. An excellent performance and recording to my ears.
  • Borodin Symphony No. 1. - Searching for a multichannel version, or recommendation for the best quality stereo recording.
Re Borodin, I'm listening to this one and liking it. (I don't see a MCH version)
https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.572786

There's a lot of good options for the Dvorak. It might be rarer, but Harnoncourt is good on DVD-Audio. The Fischer is probably the first choice and you already have it, which helps. All the options (includes lots of Japanese stereo reissues) - HRAudio.net - Recordings

Not aware of any Borodin symphonies in MCH. A shame.

There's a lot of good options for the Dvorak. It might be rarer, but Harnoncourt is good on DVD-Audio. The Fischer is probably the first choice and you already have it, which helps. All the options (includes lots of Japanese stereo reissues) - HRAudio.net - Recordings

This is from the quad era, looks like the only one of Borodin's symphonies done in MCH, no digital version available: Borodin / Balakirev / Rimsky-Korsakov, Anshel Brusilow, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra – Symphony No 2 / Russia / Skazka (1976, Vinyl)

Thanks everyone for suggestions. I’ve ordered a used copy of the Harnoncourt DVD-audio (Dvorak’s 9th). Unfortunate there’s no digital MCH of the Borodin, but I can be happy with good ol’ stereo :)

Back