• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

The Columbia "Underground" Quad Reels of the late '70s

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Blood, Sweat & Tears Child is the Father to Man
Bloomfield/Kooper/Stills Supersession
The AF SACDs of these two are new 5.1 mixes by Al Kooper - the quad mixes have not been released digitally (yet).

The BS&T self-titled quad was released by AF, but there are two versions on the robin reel - one sounds like all four channels have been blended together (this matches the officially released SQ LP, Q8, and SACD), and the other is fully discrete. The unreleased version also has the full length edits of "Spinning Wheel" and "You've Made Me So Very Happy".

There’s also two versions of the Laura Nyro album on the robin reels, neither of which matches the AF SACD.

Last edited:

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
If it had been on the list, we (some quad friends) would have ordered it.
Ahhhhhhhhh...THAT WOULD DO IT!!!!
(y)(y)(y)(y)
Thanks for the reminder...now I know why a lot of members said so...well, I thought that , since III was one of those with the gold band SQ LP cover , it would be on that list...
My reasoning is that it has better freq range than any Columbia Q8 (Audiospectrum's conversion of Borboletta is really good but it still isn't as good---I COULD be wrong you know)

Merci, monsieur...

..but now the enigma deepens...

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
So Abraxas apparently was available. What about the first album?
Kinda puzzling, since some tracks showed on very early SQ compilation/demo (Evil Ways) but been released in 1974 and with a decent mix i suspect it was mixed entirely for quad in 1973 to be released along the Greatest Hits, which has several tracks of I.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Ahhhhhhhhh...THAT WOULD DO IT!!!!
(y)(y)(y)(y)
Thanks for the reminder...now I know why a lot of members said so...well, I thought that , since III was one of those with the gold band SQ LP cover , it would be on that list...
My reasoning is that it has better freq range than any Columbia Q8 (Audiospectrum's conversion of Borboletta is really good but it still isn't as good---I COULD be wrong you know)

Merci, monsieur...

..but now the enigma deepens...
CLARIFICATION:
What I wanted to state regarding Audiospectrum's conversion was the FREQUENCY RANGE, the conversion itself is one of the BEST EVER I have heard from Columbia Q8...