The Dawn Of Quad Consciousness

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soundfield

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I was having a bit of a clear out today (actually, as usually happens, it mostly ended up with me moving stuff ‘that might come in useful’ from one place to another) and I stumbled across my July 1972 copy of “Electronics Today International” (price 20p!). I vividly recall how it was this particular magazine that introduced me to the very concept of quadrophony:

ETI front lo res.jpg

ETI was a brand new magazine in the UK (this was Vol 1 Issue 4) and as well as being excited by the very idea of quad (as a sixth form student I’d only just persuaded my parents to let me have my first stereo system in my bedroom so it seemed very advanced) I thought the front cover art was really cool (so in homage you may notice I’ve updated my Avatar).

It had articles on the general state of the art and tests specifically on the SQ and CD4 systems. The SQ article wasn’t very complimentary, concluding –

“It is the opinion of all the staff who were asked to comment on the tests that, in general, the effects were not significantly better than could be obtained from stereo records and a synthesizer (such as the Sansui QS1) at about the same order of cost.

It would seem that either the goal is completely faithful reproduction of sound or something which is pleasing for its own sake. If the user wants completely faithful reproduction then the discrete system with its attendant disadvantages and limitations must be used. If it is a pleasing sound which is the goal then it would not appear to matter much whether a synthesizer or SQ decoder is used”

The article doesn’t specifically say what SQ equipment they were testing but there are pictures of the Sony SQD1000 and SQA200 which were probably the worst ‘decoders’ Sony ever made which wouldn’t have helped the cause. Nonetheless, I was hooked on the idea – probably helped by article that showed how to make the Hafler speaker connection (and which would suffice for some years before I could afford any actual equipment!) and by the equally cool back cover art:

ETI back lo res.jpg

This particular Sansui advert appeared in all of the HiFi mags from then on, for what seemed like years. It must have cost Sansui a fortune, but strangely it never seemed to be matched by the actual availability or prominence of Sansui equipment in the UK. Outside of the big HiFi shows of the day I don’t really recall seeing much Sansui stuff on sale, and I never knew anyone who owned any. But in an otherwise rather black and white print advertising world at the time this very colourful and romantic image certainly had real impact (even if the image of a woman languidly holding a cigarette and dropping ash all over the place seems very strange today).

Anyone else recall how they were first seduced by this new fangled four channel reproduction idea?

Is that a joint in her hand?:unsure:
I would have to say no... it looks like it has a tan filter.

But she certainly does LOOK high.

I lost my quad virginity after reading about it in the pages of Stereo Review and Audio. Then I purchased a quad 8 track player for my car after Columbia started a Quad 8-track tape club. The monthly selection was always a Q8, until they stopped automatic shipments due to a lack of releases. I think I got 3 or 4 free and had to buy another 4 or 6 more over the next 2 or 3 years. I never had to actually fulfill my agreement though, because the Q8 division of the club closed down before the deadline. I got a letter stating that due to a lack of new Q8 releases I was free of the agreement. It was certainly a sign of things to come when the last 10 months or so had no new releases in the monthly flyer. Once I saw the releases and equipment offerings drying up, I stopped my efforts to get a quad system for the house.

I would have to say no... it looks like it has a tan filter.

But she certainly does LOOK high.

I lost my quad virginity after reading about it in the pages of Stereo Review and Audio. Then I purchased a quad 8 track player for my car after Columbia started a Quad 8-track tape club. The monthly selection was always a Q8, until they stopped automatic shipments due to a lack of releases. I think I got 3 or 4 free and had to buy another 4 or 6 more over the next 2 or 3 years. I never had to actually fulfill my agreement though, because the Q8 division of the club closed down before the deadline. I got a letter stating that due to a lack of new Q8 releases I was free of the agreement. It was certainly a sign of things to come when the last 10 months or so had no new releases in the monthly flyer. Once I saw the releases and equipment offerings drying up, I stopped my efforts to get a quad system for the house.

Good call on the filter(y)..when I first heard about quad it was more than I could afford...the quad receiver and the speakers...there was a quad radio station about 40 miles from where I lived...by the time I could afford a quad system....the radio station had shut down the quad broadcasts and the format was pretty much over:(

The closest I came to quad, back in the day, was when I was in junior high. Myself and a couple of my buddies would hang out at the mall trying to pick up girls. I always went for the super duper good looking ones that had big.....................well, that’s for another day and I’ll digress. Anyway, there was this stereo shop inside this mall and I’ll never forget, one day I looked over and noticed a window display that said to come inside and experience music in quad depicting 4 loudspeakers. I was quite a bit curious. I loved music so much and I told myself that this experience with 4 speakers has to be better than two. After my short demonstration I found myself thinking it was weird having to sit between 4 speakers and it would never take off because people like to move around.

And, the rest was history!

The closest I came to quad, back in the day, was when I was in junior high. Myself and a couple of my buddies would hang out at the mall trying to pick up girls. I always went for the super duper good looking ones that had big.....................well, that’s for another day and I’ll digress. Anyway, there was this stereo shop inside this mall and I’ll never forget, one day I looked over and noticed a window display that said to come inside and experience music in quad depicting 4 loudspeakers. I was quite a bit curious. I loved music so much and I told myself that this experience with 4 speakers has to be better than two. After my short demonstration I found myself thinking it was weird having to sit between 4 speakers and it would never take off because people like to move around.

And, the rest was history!

Do you write under the name of Ken C. Pohlmann:unsure:

My quad cherry was breached in the Fall of '70. I was then a recently returned VN vet, armed with a Sansui 5000A receiver and 4 Sansui 3-way speakers (can't remember model #, but similar in appearance to the Sansui speakers shown in the advert above), never having hear of Quad. I was then a 1st year law student at St. Mary's Univ (San Antonio), when one evening while waiting for my date (later spouse) in the lobby of the ladies's dorm (Trinity Univ, also in SA), I chanced upon a weekly campus rag that had an article showing the Hafler passive hook-up. Well since I already had 4 speakers, that totally ruined me and so I remain. I have since owned a QS-1, QS-2, QSD-1000, Tate 101, various Fosgates and many others (Electro-Voice, Lafayette, etc.) I now have my fave blasting away: Surround Master.

Cheers from John R

Last edited:
My quad cherry was breached in the Fall of '70. I was then a recently returned VN vet, armed with a Sansui 5000A receiver and 4 Sansui 3-way speakers (can't remember model #, but similar in appearance to the Sansui speakers shown in the advert above), never having hear of Quad. I was then a 1st year law student at St. Mary's Univ (San Antonio), when one evening while waiting for my date (later spouse) in the lobby of the ladies's dorm (Trinity Univ, also in SA), I chanced upon a weekly campus rag that had an article showing the Hafler passive hook-up. Well since I already had 4 speakers, that totally ruined me and so I remain. I have since owned a QS-1, QS-2, QSD-1000, Tate 101, various Fosgates and many others (Electro-Voice, Lafayette, etc.) I now have my fave blasting away: Surround Master.

Cheers from John R

Similarly, my first exposure to QUAD was Hafler's passive thingamajig. My set~up was rudimentary and because I had a marble fireplace in my bedroom and the 'nuisance' of thick plastered walls, my speaker set~up was hardly optimal.

I went through multiple QUAD receivers and was frustrated by their lackluster decoding of SQ, QS and especially CD~4 so I finally invested in a TEAC 4 channel Open Reel deck with a TEAC Dolby b decoder and thus finally experienced QUAD in all it's glory.

Of course my frustration did lie with the paucity of QUAD Open Reel choices [only a few hundred were actually produced] and by then I had given up on QUAD vinyl and since most of my favorite albums were unavailable in QUAD, I concentrated on Stereo Open Reel [even purchased a REVOX A77 Stereo Deck w/Dolby b]l and invested in a Nakamichi cassette deck [rather several] offering Dolby C and Chromium dioxide.

Today we have splendid electronics, the Universal Player, a renaissance of QUAD SACD and of course thousands of BD~V movies, some offering Dolby Atmos but the same dilemma persists. Of the millions of recorded music available, still that paucity of surround titles persists.

And if you want a good chuckle, I just received an email from Elusive Disc today with their bragging rights of offering the LARGEST selection of Stereo Open Reels [all 15 ips] currently on the market. Just look at the prices....from $349 to $599 for a single album: http://audiophile.elusivedisc.com/search?p=Q&lbc=elusivedisc&uid=77233113&ts=custom&w=reel to reel&isort=score&method=and&view=grid&af=cat:reeltoreeltape&utm_source=email&utm_medium=special

Last edited:
Similarly, my first exposure to QUAD was Hafler's passive thingamajig. My set~up was rudimentary and because I had a marble fireplace in my bedroom and the 'nuisance' of thick plastered walls, my speaker set~up was hardly optimal.

I went through multiple QUAD receivers and was frustrated by their lackluster decoding of SQ, QS and especially CD~4 so I finally invested in a TEAC 4 channel Open Reel deck with a TEAC Dolby b decoder and thus finally experienced QUAD in all it's glory.

Of course my frustration did lie with the paucity of QUAD Open Reel choices [only a few hundred were actually produced] and by then I had given up on QUAD vinyl and since most of my favorite albums were unavailable in QUAD, I concentrated on Stereo Open Reel [even purchased a REVOX A77 Stereo Deck w/Dolby b]l and invested in a Nakamichi cassette deck [rather several] offering Dolby C and Chromium dioxide.

Today we have splendid electronics, the Universal Player, a renaissance of QUAD SACD and of course thousands of BD~V movies, some offering Dolby Atmos but the same dilemma persists. Of the millions of recorded music available, still that paucity of surround titles persists.

And if you want a good chuckle, I just received an email from Elusive Disc today with their bragging rights of offering the LARGEST selection of Stereo Open Reels [all 15 ips] currently on the market. Just look at the prices....from $349 to $599 for a single album: http://audiophile.elusivedisc.com/search?p=Q&lbc=elusivedisc&uid=77233113&ts=custom&w=reel to reel&isort=score&method=and&view=grid&af=cat:reeltoreeltape&utm_source=email&utm_medium=special

Ralphie....I laughed when I got that email from elusive disc with the open reels and was going to post about it...just think... we will probably be offered USB sticks with music on them in the near future

I suppose we don't know how lucky we are with D~V's bargain QUAD SACDs. Paying $599 for a single Stereo Open Reel Tape is highway robbery and you need one of those $4K ~ $16K new fangled Open Reel decks to actually enjoy those 15 ips Open Reels at optimum fidelity.

The biggest chuckle were the Jacintha Reels [$599 each] from Groove Note. ImportCD carries the multichannel Groove Note Jacintha SACDs for $16 each! https://www.importcds.com/autumn-leaves/660318100634

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Jacintha...lity-Reel-To-Reel-Tape/productinfo/GRVRR1006/ [NOT eligible for further discount]

BTW, according to the Audiophile Rags, supposedly these reels are the VERY BEST way to enjoy this music.......bar none! But at what price?????????

Last edited:
Back