The Demise of disc formats

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazon just shut down their disc manufacturing facility, so uh, start sweating.

Are you referring to CD~Rs manufactured on demand that Amazon was licensing from the majors?

Heck, Bezos will probably buy a state of the art pressing plant and dispense with the 'cheesy' CD~R MODs!

The man knows NO limits....nor boundaries!

And to think it all started in Jeff's garage.......

Are you referring to CD~Rs manufactured on demand that Amazon was licensing from the majors?

Heck, Bezos will probably buy a state of the art pressing plant and dispense with the 'cheesy' CD~R MODs!

About 5 years ago, I was going to buy a Rod Stewart CD on Amazon, but it was a CD-Rom version. I passed on that.
But, the service was good for independent artists who wanted to sell a CD without needing to print a run of 500 or 1000 at a time. Plus, less storage of a bunch of titles that may or may not sell at first. So the idea had merit. Would like to know more about it from Mr. Afternoon.

Amazon just shut down their disc manufacturing facility, so uh, start sweating.
I still won't sweat. I am sitting on a mountain of cds, blu-rays, dvds, etc.. If they stopped selling them it would probably be the best thing that could happen to me. I really don't need anymore. I have more than I can listen to now and pretty much everything I should need. At this point buying more product is just feeding an addiction I have had since I was 12 with, in most cases, very diminishing returns. If that's the way the wind is destined to blow then it's fine with me, they can keep their product and I will keep my money.

I wasn't aware that Amazon was manufacturing discs themselves. The main things I'd be interested in would be BD-A and SACD, and I'm pretty sure they weren't making them themselves. I still order from Dutton-Vocalion, and I've never been disappointed with anything I've gotten from them. Downloads are too variable in quality. We've seen records make a comeback; I predict digital disc media will never completely go away. As long as people want 'em, they'll keep making 'em.

I'm surprised it took this long for the demise of physical disks to affect NZ. There hasn't been a true brick and mortar store in my area where I could buy disks for several years. Of course, ironically, you can buy vinyl (and some CDs) in a Cracker Barrel (a US based restaurant chain with attached gift shop).

It seems that today's business model is subscriptions...Get people to pay a monthly stipend for everything rather then offer it piecemeal. That's all great, but no one has been able to come up with a way to make the day longer than 24 hours to such that indulging in a multitude of subscriptions is cost effective.

Over in blu-ray.com there's much discussion about streaming vs. physical media (audio/video content only), with the point being continually made that content on central servers is subject to editing to stay politically correct.

Of course, audio only content is also subject to editing, but so far, I've haven't heard about any editing (of streamed audio only content) to keep it politically correct.

Around here, we have a large F. Y. E. store and several Vintage Stock stores (I've bought a lot of [new/used] CDs/DVDs/Blu-rays and 1 HD-DVD from them).

Kirk Bayne

Kirk, besides FYE & Vin Stock, don't forget about Josey Records in downtown KC, and Vinyl Renaissance in downtown Overland Park. Sure they sell records used & new but also CD's & I've ran across a few good buys in SACD & DVD-A. Oh, & Vinyl Renaissance has their own special section for quad LP's, just like in the olden days. It's also a great place for accessories & both store have small but well chosen inventory of audio gear.

Why would Bezos - or anyone - invest millions of $$ on a new plant to make thousands of $$?

Physical digital media isn’t dead yet, but it’s in assisted living. And folks can try to rationalize it all they want with “people thought vinyl records were dead”, but the only similarity between physical digital media and vinyl records is they are mechanisms for delivering music. Other than that there is no similarity whatsoever.

To paraphrase Hemingway, “When did they stop making CDs and Blurays?”

”Gradually...then suddenly.”

Why would you buy a cd player when you can get a blu-ray that plays all discs for pretty much the same cost? Just wondering.
I no longer have a dedicated cd player. I have 4 blu-ray players (two of which are 4K.

Yeah n ive got 2 oppos a sony ubpx800 n a sony 5 disc sacd/dvd player...used for those "special" discs

I wanted my cdp w 5-6 discs to play on occassional random setting with its OWN internal DAC!

Im not really wanting to use my expensive single disc universal players for stereo cds...thats why!

Yeah n ive got 2 oppos a sony ubpx800 n a sony 5 disc sacd/dvd player...used for those "special" discs

I wanted my cdp w 5-6 discs to play on occassional random setting with its OWN internal DAC!

Im not really wanting to use my expensive single disc universal players for stereo cds...thats why!

I can relate to your wanting a 5 disc player, I miss mine too. What I do now is just copy 5 + discs onto a flash drive and play that on random. It takes a few more minutes than just loading 5 discs but not that much more (if you already have all your RBCDs ripped to a hard drive). As for using an expensive single disc universal player, I got a Sony 4K blu-ray(UBPX800) for $150 and I beat the hell out of that for day to day use. When I want to really get into an audiophile mode, I use one of my two Oppos. When the Sony goes up I throw it out and get a new one.

Gee, what are they gonna do when they can't hide behind cover art or making their CD louder than everyone else's CD? Actually have to offer well mixed and mastered music for download?! Horrors!

Back