The Demise of disc formats

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No BluSpec CD and SHM CD DSD
are both above 24bit

You can Buy a DSD Sony 5.1 SACD Miles Davis 1967
it is Hybrid works on any CD player

Soundfield they make these CD able to work on any player

SACD produced from DSD source plays in a regular CD player because it is, exactly as you said, a hybrid disc that has dual layers. BluSpec is NOT a dual layer or hybrid anything. It plays in a CD player because the data is nothing more than 16/44.1 conforming to conventional audio CD standards. There is no such thing as a 24 bit audio CD.

are both above 24bit

Sorry you could not be more wrong. The only reason a hybrid SACD works on a standard CD player is because it also has a conventional (red Book) CD layer as well as the SACD layer. Hence the term hybrid. A conventional CD player ignores the SACD layer and plays the 16 bit CD layer. BLU SPEC is a marketing invention and has nothing to do with SACD (hybrid or otherwise).

SACD produced from DSD source plays in a regular CD player because it is, exactly as you said, a hybrid disc that has dual layers. BluSpec is NOT a dual layer or hybrid anything. It plays in a CD player because the data is nothing more than 16/44.1 conforming to conventional audio CD standards. There is no such thing as a 24 bit audio CD.
You beat me to it Sonik!

are both above 24bit

There is wrong information here, as several others have already pointed out.

And what does "above 24 bit" mean?

WIKI doesn't even have a page for Blu-Spec CD; but this line in their Super Audio CD page:
And odd I can't even find a Sony web page (in English) about Blu Spec CD 🧐
  • Later attempts at higher fidelity that stayed within the CDDA standard: Blu-spec CD, DSD-CD and SHM-CD.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD
Sony Music Entertainment Japan
Blu
-spec CD describes a Red Book Compact Disc manufactured by a proprietary process introduced by Sony Music Entertainment Japan in late 2008. It employs the Phase Transition Mastering, the technology developed for mastering of Blu-ray discs, to further perfect the characteristics of Blu-spec CD.

I also believe it's just a regular CD with slightly refined pits, but ultimately zeros and ones being read off a disc. More attention should be paid to mastering the music better where it really counts. SHM may have a benefit, but it's primarily for data protection IMO.

Someone please find any authoritative web page about Blu Spec CD and I'll read it; but it doesn't change what it is, which is another Sony marketing tool.

At my local Half Price Books (where I find lots of CDs at great prices and also SACDs occassionally ) I found an SHM Single Layer SACD of Wheels of Fire.
This thread made me go back and look at it (I did buy it) to make sure my memory of it as an SACD was correct. I had not previously heard of SHM and didn't know anything about it when I bought this disc. Nor BluSpec :rolleyes: . (The Wheels of Fire album is Single layer stereo SACD/DSD produced by SHM . No hybrid layers nor mch. I gave $20 for it.)

But all this reminds me of something that needs to be mentioned frequently. When I see an SACD of Wheels of Fire (which I STILL have a sealed copy of the LP from 1968, ) the masters in no way have 24 bits of depth. Usually not even the 16 bits that we get on RBCD which is better than most analog tape machines. But I do love having a copy that is close, in quality to the origninal masters. (with acknowledgement to Dr. AIX for repeatedly pointing this out).

It has hit me like bolt of lightning one of the biggest store in NZ called the "Ware House" has virtually pulled all disc formats of the shelves with in a week 4k Blue-ray CD`s. and LP`s. GONE.....
There is still shop`s where you can still buy from who specialized in these items but when a big business does this you can see the writing on the wall of these formats.

Are we heading to a place where you can only get music as a down stream or buy a music file?????? have you notice this happening in your country.
BBQ...

I seriously hope the f*) k not BBQ .

I like buying discs in used stores and smaller boutique music and video stores such as those you can find in mall chain music shops.
They are my preference to buying on line and online I avoid Jeff Bezos monopoly , in favour of places like Burning Shed , DUTTON Vocalion , and Cherry Red/Esoteric .

Hey I need those discs to feed my addiction to physical product . Like those in my collection . Could use a couple more Shelving units though.

¿

Attachments

• 20210622_132737.jpg
    20210622_132737.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 20210622_132743.jpg
    20210622_132743.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 20210622_132815.jpg
    20210622_132815.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 20210622_132750.jpg
    20210622_132750.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 73
BluSpec CD and SHM CD are bother regular CDs. 16/44.1. There's no such thing as “SHM CD DSD”
There's SHM SACD, which are regular SACD's with the more transparent SHM coating.
Yes that's correct. The SHM thing is just a different form of polycarbonate, and of itself can't have any influence on audio fidelity. Might improve archive-ability I suppose, but I guess we won't know for another 50 years or so!

Last edited:
CD - Red Book - Noise shaping - >16bit/44.1kHz Master

IIRC, an article in Stereo Review/Sound and Vision provided a graph that 1 (Sony?) classical music CD had lower noise in the midrange than other CDs because it was made from a noise shaped master recording.

Noise shaped higher bit masters do result in small reductions in noise in CDs, but it's probably very hard to hear outside of a laboratory listening environment.

Kirk Bayne

CD - Red Book - Noise shaping - >16bit/44.1kHz Master

IIRC, an article in Stereo Review/Sound and Vision provided a graph that 1 (Sony?) classical music CD had lower noise in the midrange than other CDs because it was made from a noise shaped master recording.

Noise shaped higher bit masters do result in small reductions in noise in CDs, but it's probably very hard to hear outside of a laboratory listening environment.

Kirk Bayne

It's very real, but I'd say anything above 16-bit resolution is going to be hard to hear. The trade-off in noise shaping, however is always an increase in noise overall. But since the ear is less sensitive to noise in certain frequency bands than others, shifting some noise to one where you can't hear it seems like an enterprising idea. My Roger Waters Amused To Death MasterSound CD has SBM noise shaping. I don't know that I hear one whit a difference from my regular CD version, but the disc itself should last MUCH longer with its gold substrate than that aluminum which can oxidize if the seal breaks and turn cloudy (making it hard to play).

I seriously hope the f*) k not BBQ .

I like buying discs in used stores and smaller boutique music and video stores such as those you can find in mall chain music shops.
They are my preference to buying on line and online I avoid Jeff Bezos monopoly , in favour of places like Burning Shed , DUTTON Vocalion , and Cherry Red/Esoteric .

Hey I need those discs to feed my addiction to physical product . Like those in my collection . Could use a couple more Shelving units though.

¿
Shelving for all physical media has gotten rather difficult to find at a reasonable price. Equipment racking too actually.

Man, I hear you! I had to start on another wall after my discs took over this one four years ago:View attachment 68245

I still see some wall space above the top row of box sets. Let's remedy that Petr. Besides the stretching to reach discs near the ceiling will be good for your flexibility. ;)

I still see some wall space above the top row of box sets. Let's remedy that Petr. Besides the stretching to reach discs near the ceiling will be good for your flexibility. ;)
Ah, actually, they're all coming down soon and being packed up as I'm emigrating to Canada after October (if you-know-what doesn't stop me getting there, or into the country). I might take one final photo with the box sets I've accumulated since 2017 stuck in front on the floor (insurance may dispute I have that many), but I hope to be flexible enough at my age to pack it all away. 🤞

Back