The Demise of disc formats

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems like the record companies are underestimating demand and are pressing too few copies, afraid of being stuck with many copies in the warehouse. The Bruno Walter equivalent of the George Szell box is still in print and priced as it was on the first day.

As more stereo recordings are going PD in Europe, this is their last chance to cash in on many of these recordings.
They may be pressing too few copies, but they’re not underestimating demand.

They may be pressing too few copies, but they’re not underestimating demand.
I just got the Ormandy mono box from Amazon Spain. The price was right, but no-one else seemed to have it in stock. It came out less than six months ago. That one might be a special case, since some 4/5 of it was never issued on CD officially.

I suspect they're having trouble calibrating supply/demand. The Bruno Walter box (https://www.amazon.com/Bruno-Walter-Complete-Album-Collection/dp/B07MWXGCWL) is a treasure, but a lot of people already had most of that box, which is why it's still available. I probably had about a quarter of it, but I was able to flip what I had and more or less cover the cost of the box. But of course most of what was in the Szell box was previously available too and it flew off the shelves.

The Walmart down the road has a small music section. Very small. Varied new vinyl. CDs mostly greatest hits comps.
No CD player in new car. Not cool. You can choose an XM channel. It will repeat same content almost same time of day.
I use all my brain to try to figure out a fraction of what my devices will do. Although my devices know everything I do.
Is it any wonder why I cherish alone time with the 8-tracks?

Hey I need those discs to feed my addiction to physical product
Man, I hear you! I had to start on another wall after my discs took over this one four years ago:
My lord, I hope you guys have reinforced those floors. LOL
Y'all disc collection would fill my whole house.
Had to convert all my discs to files before I could move to FL after retirement.
Well worth the trade. ;)

No CD player in new car. Not cool. You can choose an XM channel. It will repeat same content almost same time of day.
If nothing else proves it, this is the biggest indication that discs are going away.

I mentioned the trend of new cars not having a disc player available in their entertainment system 3 or 4 years ago. I got blasted by a guy who told me I was nuts and was spreading lies. Of course he failed to mention at first that he was driving a 4+ year old vehicle. For him nothing had changed.

Its a rarity now to have a vehicle with a CD player. It has been for a few years with some brands. You cant even install an aftermarket deck because of all the other functions the factory head units are responsible for now. I have a 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My wife has a 2021 Dodge Charger. Both use Chrysler's U-connect system. Neither came with a disk player. I can get an outboard CD deck for the Jeep ($600) that outputs sound over USB. It plugs into the factory sound system and is mounted in a console cubby where the USB ports are. This isn't offered for the Charger, hence no possibility of playing disks in that vehicle at all. Fortunately, they upgraded Uconnect a while back to allow it to play FLAC. Even Hi-Res FLAC is accepted, though I assume it down samples. My system boasts itself as Alpine branded. It actually has a surround mode, but its only a synth mode for stereo tracks. The system sounds decent. The fake surround sounds like crap. It also seems they haven't figured out how to make music tracks play gapless.

Its all about how well your phone integrates with the vehicle now. Who cares if it sounds like crap.

Its all about how well your phone integrates with the vehicle now. Who cares if it sounds like crap.
Well that would be a problem for me, I still use a flip phone.
But I drive a 2006 RAM pickup and it's CD plays great, plus with a input jack on the front, I can plugin my ScanDisc Clip + and play back my Flac's with no problem.
I love my truck.
IMG_1774.JPG

Well that would be a problem for me, I still use a flip phone.
But I drive a 2006 RAM pickup and it's CD plays great, plus with a input jack on the front, I can plugin my ScanDisc Clip + and play back my Flac's with no problem.
I love my truck.
A lot has changed in the last 16 years since that truck was new. Did you know back then you could still buy CDs in a Best Buy? :ROFLMAO:

I use a ScanDisc Clip on my boat. It works OK, but the file navigation controls are on the clip itself. That makes it a distraction for me to drive with. On the boat I don't even try to choose tracks. I just put it in shuffle mode and sail along ... I cant remember, but I think mine will only do WAV and MP3. Or maybe it does do FLAC but only standard res FLAC.

I just got the Ormandy mono box from Amazon Spain. The price was right, but no-one else seemed to have it in stock. It came out less than six months ago. That one might be a special case, since some 4/5 of it was never issued on CD officially.

I suspect they're having trouble calibrating supply/demand. The Bruno Walter box (https://www.amazon.com/Bruno-Walter-Complete-Album-Collection/dp/B07MWXGCWL) is a treasure, but a lot of people already had most of that box, which is why it's still available. I probably had about a quarter of it, but I was able to flip what I had and more or less cover the cost of the box. But of course most of what was in the Szell box was previously available too and it flew off the shelves.
As I wrote before, they’re not having trouble calibrating supply or demand.

They (or rather the distributors who play a much larger role now) are just managing inventory much differently and tighter now.

A lot has changed in the last 16 years since that truck was new. Did you know back then you could still buy CDs in a Best Buy? :ROFLMAO:

I use a ScanDisc Clip on my boat. It works OK, but the file navigation controls are on the clip itself. That makes it a distraction for me to drive with. On the boat I don't even try to choose tracks. I just put it in shuffle mode and sail along ... I cant remember, but I think mine will only do WAV and MP3. Or maybe it does do FLAC but only standard res FLAC.
Oh yea they'll do 16 bit 44k flac but to tell you the truth I mainly make some nice ogg files for the clip. Background noise, etc in cars/trucks never was worth the space of RB to me, can't hear the difference.
I've had a number of Clip models over the years, I love them, and if anything happens to them another $40 gets you a new one. They aren't perfect but what is, tiny screen &buttons, etc. On the flip side you can clip the little bugger anywhere and forget about it. SQ is just perfect if you don't use it as a source for a $50k Hi Fi :p

I just use 256kbps AAC in my Forester on a big USB stick in the arm rest. It's perfectly fine at that rate. I've got large random play directories for a commercial free radio experience and loads of full albums to boot.

I just use 256kbps AAC in my Forester on a big USB stick in the arm rest. It's perfectly fine at that rate. I've got large random play directories for a commercial free radio experience and loads of full albums to boot.

Same here. The only hiccup was finding out the hard way that my car audio system won't play ALAC (or WAV or AIFF.) So I had to convert everything in the stick to 256 AAC.

I am a lot more optimistic about the future in this area. A close relative got a new car; the first time I have had exposure to with Android Auto (and I understand there is an Apple version, but I am too prejudiced to entertain that idea). A small amount of research led me to try to Rocket music player on the phone.

So I connected it up to the car with a normal charging cable and bang; there it is... the phone directing the action rather than the car. What a great idea - removing the liability of the car software limitations and having the phone leading the action. Yet interact the phone using the car touchscreen so no getting dragged off by our friends in blue.

Suffice to say, this is great. Playing FLAC, artwork (always named folder.jpg in my system) showing instantly. Easy access to songs/albums/artists and random functionality.

So far, marvelous. Until phone manufacturers stop letting us have micro-sd cards in our phone; then stuffed again. For now I can put up to a 512GB stick in (I have a 256GB now) and you know, that will do short of access to the entire collection.

Nope! I ain't gonna waste my time managing and manipulating sound files on a computer appliance. Nope! You will pry my optical disks from my cold dead hands!

I dumped 350+ CDs in one weekend clear back in 2007 and never looked back (saved as ALAC and then I converted a batch to AAC to keep for the car and phone, etc.)

You hard core Apple guys crack me up. :bowing:

Well, I did use an Apple server (i.e. Oddly a used 2002 PowerPC Digital Audio tower upgraded to a single 1.8 GHz processor from dual 400MHz ones with dual 2TB hard drives with a Sata card adapter and maxed out ram over a gigabit network) and iTunes, but what I had in mind was whole house audio whereby I could play any of my music in at least 4 rooms (later 6 rooms) of the house using 1st Gen AppleTV units and Airport Express units and control it with the then brand new iPod Touch using Apple's "Remote" app. I actually had an AppleTV for a couple of years that wasn't connected to a TV in the living room just to use for audio (ironically the 1st Gen was 16/44.1 accurate while later generation AppleTVs were limited by iOS's 16/48 limitation and had to upmix the sample rate, which meant DTS music CDs no longer played back (they did on the 1st Gen AppleTV units without any support from Apple other than ALAC was lossless and it was bit-accurate output to 16/44.1).

For 2007, I thought this system was basically ahead of its time and worked great. From iTunes, you could even output whole house audio to all speakers at the same time and they were time-aligned. I could walk around the house with say Christmas music playing and it would just be everywhere I went. Now with iOS versus older Airport Express and ATV 4K, they seem to somehow get slightly out of sync due to HDMI timing difference and the like (ATV Gen one had optical output available). The old system worked better.... But I rarely used the whole house sync thing anyway (I tend to listen in one room).

From there, I started renting 720p HD movies for my 720p projector. Over time, resolutions went up on the newer models and I eventually got a newer projector (still only 1080p at the moment; it downscales 4K with a little scaler box I bought). But I went through and converted all my VHS tapes (using a pretty nice Pro VCR setup), scanned all my 35mm prints (and negatives with a slide scanner when possible) and removed all the artifacts and discolorations, etc. while I was at it (talk about spending some winter weekends with Photoshop) and first all my DVDs and then eventually Blu-Rays and now UHD Blu-Rays and 3D Blu-Rays as well. I'm using a quad-core i7 Mac Mini now instead with 10TB of storage and 16GB of RAM as the server and I use KODI or Xidoo instead of the Apple players most of the time, but it's still basically the same concept.

I no longer need an Apple server, though. I can boot into Windows 10 on the same computer (Boot Camp) even and it can serve the same stuff to the KODI/XIDOO players around the house or even iTunes using Windows version of iTunes. The only trick was to buy a software package that could read the Mac drives in Windows and the same for Windows drives on the Mac side to make drives to directly connect to the Xidoo (3D and UHD don't go so well over WiFi here just yet; a direct hard drive works more reliably). So, I don't need Apple anymore. All the players can play ALAC, AAC, etc. now regardless and the contents of the Mac formatted drives can be copied to any format drive (Linux, Windows, etc.)

I'm still driving a 2002 Mini Cooper S I bought brand new, it has 70K miles on the clock. The default head unit was cassette, with the paid for options being to upgrade it to CD (which I chose) or MiniDisc(!). When I asked about an option to have DAB as well as FM on the radio they looked at me blankly, they'd never heard of it. At the time DAB seemed important with much talk of FM switch off being only a decade away, but it's now been deferred for so long that sales of new petrol and diesel cars will likely be banned in the UK in 2030 while FM is still broadcasting.

When I asked about an option to have DAB as well as FM on the radio they looked at me blankly, they'd never heard of it. At the time DAB seemed important with much talk of FM switch off being only a decade away, but it's now been deferre
DAB just never took off with the public, most people have no ideal with it is or was.
Both my Marantz AV7701 & 7703 Pre-Pro had it built in but a couple generations back they dropped it. Now latest 7706 has completely dropped the AM/FM tuner. :eek:

Back