The Doors - 4 New 5.1 SACD re releases from Analogue Productions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetjohnson

Sorry if this isn't new news but it is to me ...according to Analogue Productions (who pop up on my Facebook page) they are now releasing 6 Doors albums in the audiophile 45rpm 200g vinyl format AND Multi Channel Hybrid SACD.

The Doors, Strange Days, Waiting For The Sun, & LA Woman are all being (re) released on SACD. for whatever reason however Soft Parade and Morrison Hotel are not being given the SACD treatment. apparently the SACD's will cost $30 each. (and $50 for the vinyl versions!)

Good news that SACD's have some life left!

Whatever reason? Yea, those two titles are currently available on Audio Fidelity gold CDs as if we're gonna buy those instead. Apparently slow movers too since most of the AF titles go out out print quite promptly but these two Doors titles have been available for about 2 years or so.

Morrison Hotel is my favorite too. Maybe Japan Warners will do that one. I won't miss Soft Parade.

And... I just recently bought The Doors. Woops! And wish I'd had known about that 3 channel mix sooner.

Wow.. didn't notice at first they were multi-channel. I just assumed since it was Analogue Productions they would be only stereo. I hope MFSL notices this and follows along.

Now if we could just get them to replace those 3-channel versions with the 4-channel!

Last edited:
Wow!

Here's the scoop: http://www.thedoors.com/newsimages/102711_doors.jpg

I guess you could look at it two ways. Yeah! More 5.1 SACDs!

However, we have these already. (assuming the 5.1 mixes are the same as previously released)
Some as single inventory releases (L.A. Woman), all as DVD-A's from Perception, and one from Japan on SACD (The Doors)
It gets frustrating in that the same titles keep getting released over and over, yet there are allegedly great titles sitting in vaults of artists that would sell quite well. These titles are 40 years old. Do they need yet another release?

Not sure I'll be popping out the $30 a piece for these guys. But for those into it, I say "go for it!" :)

Actually, there are 4 titles being released in SACD multi, not 6. The ad in the link Jon posted states "this is an anal-tubes process." Evidently, they are targeting the anal retentive market, or people who need to have EVERY pressing ever released of their favorite albums. Very innovative marketing, as this is an untapped market. Although I'm pretty anal, I'll pass on the SACD's. I'll stick with my original copy of Perception with the keyhole.

Linda
Fashionably Lean and Fashionably Late

Sorry if this isn't new news but it is to me ...according to Analogue Productions (who pop up on my Facebook page) they are now releasing 6 Doors albums in the audiophile 45rpm 200g vinyl format AND Multi Channel Hybrid SACD.

The Doors, Strange Days, Waiting For The Sun, & LA Woman are all being (re) released on SACD. for whatever reason however Soft Parade and Morrison Hotel are not being given the SACD treatment. apparently the SACD's will cost $30 each. (and $50 for the vinyl versions!)

Good news that SACD's have some life left!

count me OUT¡¡¡¡¡ What are they thinking???? why not release new titles???, this marketing "strategy" (or whatever it is) is starting to piss me off, cause it lets me see they treat customers like milk cows, it is not fair, im not gonna stop this ship from sinking (musical industry), is a shame. PITIFUL.

Im gonna wait for the remasters of the remasters of the Doors SACD versions instead, ha ha haaaaa,

Sorry, i just can´t keep thinking about this whole situation.

I would like to hear some "more recent" albums (from the 80´s to date) in multichannel, for example, The Cure, Tears for Fears, The Cult, Enya, Sade, Spandau Ballet, Journey, Tracy Chapman, UB40,Phil Collins, Orchestral Manouvres in the Dark, Vangelis, Level 42, Talk Talk, ABC, U2, Oasis, Cranberries, Duran Duran, Inxs, Lenny Kravitz, more Fleetwood Mack stuff, more Queen stuff, some George Michael stuff, Huey Lewis, John Mellencamp, come on, even Billy Idol and Madonna stuff.
Why not release compilations of one hit wonders or less known groups (on blu ray)??? why not follow the blu ray waves????

I don't disagree with any of the comments, but it is good on some level that Analouge Productions are putting out some SACDs in Multi-Channel. It seems as if they have a line into somewhere and there are some interesting Jazz and Nat King Cole titles being put out. I also agree, would like to see some Multi-Channel titles that have not been released before. And if mixing costs are an issue there are TONS of Quad material that should be added to these SACD releases. The Doors "Greatest Hits" with the original Quadraphonic mix would have been nice to buy.

I bought the Perception boxed set when it first came out. It boasted outtakes, video and 5.1 Worth the $130? I thought it would be. I was hoping for LOTS of outtakes, video of their TV and filmed appearances and strong, discrete 5.1. What I got was a half-dozen outtakes spread over 6 discs, 6 videos- most of which are available on Youtube and a pretty weak 5.1. I guess my expectations were too high. Re-releasing them now? Good lord. Somebody raid the vaults at Sony, would ya? Time to liberate some more Quad reels. Needless to say, I still have a very nice Quad conversion of The Best of The Doors as well as the Q8 and CD-4. I sold my Perception Boxed set on eBay a while back. I think I played it...... twice?

I LOVE PERCEPTION! I suppose it could have been better. What could top having a Doors DVD-A? ALL the Doors albums on DVD-A! I've played it several times and am nuts about it. I too covet the Quad Best of Doors on DVD-A/SACD. Quintessential Quad. We had it as both a Q8 and CD-4 demo album in my stores.

Hopefully, the remaining two will be future SACD 5.1 releases. Soft Parade is a truly underrated album! Morrison Hotel has some meaty stuff, too. It's all good.

Linda
Got the Runnin' Blues

As the classic Best Of The Doors demonstrates, tracks from the debut (one of THE best all-time band debut albums) can be mixed well, effectively undercutting the purity of the three track argument. While the first album is probably the most important signature Doors event (1st band with billboard on Sunset Blvd for album, immediate success, etc), I probably like Morrison Hotel as the most fully realized in terms of diverse songwriting. Those are the two that get played most here.

I bought Perception at retail maybe $120 only to see it fall to $60 a year later and it's still in stores. It offers value indeed. The next iteration has to be a Blu Ray compilation of the albums, videos and some more extras at some point.

According to the liner notes for one of the Bright Midnight releases, the Aquarious L.A. shows and some other concerts are mixed in 5.1 (2003?) and just sitting around. Let's have those please!

These releases will have the original stereo mixes in high-res. The stereos on the DVD-As were those head twisiting 40th anniversary mixes.

So the stereo masters of the first album are shot, tanked, gone. I wonder if the Quadraphonic Master of the Best Of Quadradisc is sitting somewhere, untouched for decades, and could be dusted off and used to master a new Analouge Productions SACD.

Now THAT would be something worthy, IMHO.

These releases will have the original stereo mixes in high-res. The stereos on the DVD-As were those head twisiting 40th anniversary mixes.
I'd rather have the new mixes. So does this mean we'll hear Light My Fire in slow motion again? What mix is on the Warners Japan SACD "The Doors"?

Another interesting thing is the holding back of Morrison Hotel and Soft Parade. Obviously because Audio Fidelity has some sort of deal with these two titles.

Quit buying gold CDs and put AF out of business. They're holding back the production and release of SACDs including multi-channel releases.

I've seen an e-mail to AF regarding this. Should be interesting if I hear back from them.

As the classic Best Of The Doors demonstrates, tracks from the debut (one of THE best all-time band debut albums) can be mixed well, effectively undercutting the purity of the three track argument.

What three track argument?

So you're saying that these new Doors' SACD releases will just be in stereo as opposed to 5.1 channels?

:confused:

Back