The Doors, "L.A. Woman" 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (Rhino) with Atmos Streaming

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless the consumers reject it with their wallet
Be careful, music consumers have always voted with their wallets for convenience over quality. And so has the music and recording industry.

It’s among the reasons I’m not convinced the industry is going to support real atmos, i.e. surround, music in the long term. Again…

I agree that unfortunately algorithms are cheaper to produce these days than actual surround mixes by a human mixer.

IOW, it's much cheaper to pay a software engineer from India to script an algorithm than pay Elliot Scheiner to produce, what in the industry's mind, is "almost" the same thing and hence "good enough".

Remember, the industry will always prioritize money over quality.

I'm saying that the industry started this with headphone spatial audio and is now going to use it (algorithms) for most of the streaming releases we are going to hear thru our standalone speakers in the future.
OK, I am confused (not that rare of a thing,,, LOL).
Does the algorithm take a stereo mix and make a faux surround or Atmos mix or, does it take an existing surround or atmos mix and make a faux representation in stereo hardware, or both,?
And, if an algorithm is going to be used at all, should it matter whether the source material is a stereo or multi-channel mix, shouldn't the algorithm be able to artificially produce the same faux results?

OK, I am confused (not that rare of a thing,,, LOL).
Does the algorithm take a stereo mix and make a faux surround or Atmos mix or, does it take an existing surround or atmos mix and make a faux representation in stereo hardware, or both,?
And, if an algorithm is going to be used at all, should it matter whether the source material is a stereo or multi-channel mix, shouldn't the algorithm be able to artificially produce the same faux results?

The "algorithm" discussed above takes an existing surround mix and processes it so that while listening through headphones, the sounds appear to come from the different directions they would if you had a real discrete speaker system using "psychoacoustic" modeling or some such. The effect doesn't work very well for me because I have compromised hearing in my right ear.

Be careful, music consumers have always voted with their wallets for convenience over quality. And so has the music and recording industry.

Yes I would agreed with that with a lot of things, lets say like food eaten at restaurants, people seem fine with eating very filler laced sub par food from places
that have yellow arches ect. But for me I choose to enjoy my experience much more then that when it comes to music in particular and if more people would
buy music which is not compressed, raped and butchered, the trend you change and quality would become the product that succeeds.

Yes I would agreed with that with a lot of things, lets say like food eaten at restaurants, people seem fine with eating very filler laced sub par food from places
that have yellow arches ect. But for me I choose to enjoy my experience much more then that when it comes to music in particular and if more people would
buy music which is not compressed, raped and butchered, the trend you change and quality would become the product that succeeds.
That’s great, but to the overwhelming majority of consumers, music is just a commodity - that’s why they almost always choose convenience over quality. And always will.

Back