The DVD-A Workshop forum

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
DVD-A is the HiRez format that has become "computer friendly"! There are programs that allow you to play them, and programs that allow you to create them!

Creative Labs Audigy cards come with a DVD-Audio player, and users of WinDVD can add a DVD-A patch to allow playing the audio AND video portion of DVD-A discs. Users with experience using these players can assist others here with any problems they may be experiencing.

This is also a section where folks who own discWelder Bronze, Steel or Chrome, and/or WaveLab 5 (and any other program that creates DVD-A discs) can communicate with other users of these software programs, and for those interested into getting into this hobby can get answers to their questions.

Creating DVD-A discs is very different than creating a DTS CD. There are many things to consider before you start. Since we are getting fewer released DVD-A's shipped to our local stores, many of us have taken to making our own using the old quadraphonic source material that we already own.

I myself have just purchased a car with a DVD-A player that is factory installed. I have made a few discs from my quad reels, and it is SUCH a pleasure to hear them in the car, I feel like sitting in there all night! :D

We have some members who do this for a living, and it would be great if they could share their knowledge and experience with those of us who "putter"! :mad:@:

I think that this will become a very popular hobby with quad collectors. Let's see what we can get started here.

DISCLAIMER
As usual, I must insist that this not become a place where members become bootleggers. There will be absolutely NO SELLING of "home made" DVD-A's of copyrighted material. Any posts seeking discs or offering discs will be immediatly deleted. We cannot control what you do off of QQ, but please do not use this (or any area of QQ) for the SELLING of any illegal material.

Thanks again for your support!

Nice idea Jon!
I guess I'll be dropping in here on a regular basis.
For people who don't know me, I run a DVD-Audio production company using discWelder Chrome & SurCode MLP so I am more than happy to try & answer any questions.
I currently do not have WaveLab 5, but have a copy on order so will be up to speed on that one very soon.

I am so happy to see this format beginning to "arrive" as it were, and apps like Bronze, Steel & WaveLab 5 can only help out.
It is users of these apps and this forum who are now carrying the torch for DVD-A as it is finally available in an affordable manner to everyone with a reasonably spec'd PC and a DVD burner.

Welcome to one & All.

tcdriver said:
jon,

Does your car with a DVD-A player that is factory installed also play DTS multi-channel discs?

tcdriver
Sure does! It's an Acura TL. It has the Elliot Scheiner designed ELS system from Panasonic installed. I have been playing only DVD-As right now, but there is a big DTS logo on the dash. Fellow forum member Bob Romano also just purchased this car, and he has been playing DTS CDs with no problem.

When I have time, I will do a more in-depth look and review of this car's sound system (in the mobile forum).

:-jon

One thing is definitely worth remembering...
DTS Audio is NOT part of the DVD-Audio specs, but an optional format for Audio in DVD-Video.
Therefore, a pure DVD-A player is not necessarily - indeed probably won't - play DTS discs. IF there is a built in DTS Decoder, it may play a DTS CD, but again probably not in Surround. It will alldepend on just what amplifier is connected.

Just thought I should mention it.

The Acura TL sound system does indeed play DTS encoded discs (and in surround) as well as DVD-A discs. This is the best car I have ever had!!

Bob Romano said:
The Acura TL sound system does indeed play DTS encoded discs (and in surround) as well as DVD-A discs. This is the best car I have ever had!!
I agree with Bob. If you have some free time, interested parties should go down to their Acura dealers and test drive one of these cars - even if you have no intention of buying a car, or if you cannot afford this car! Just go for the test drive, you will be very impressed with the car. The sound system just puts it WAY over the top. I have owned 2 other TLs (99,02), and this model blows those others away - car wise. Also, the XM satellite is pretty cool too! Too bad it's not in surround!!!

We now return to the DVD-A Workshop..............................:smokin

JonUrban said:
I agree with Bob. If you have some free time, interested parties should go down to their Acura dealers and test drive one of these cars - even if you have no intention of buying a car, or if you cannot afford this car! Just go for the test drive, you will be very impressed with the car. The sound system just puts it WAY over the top. I have owned 2 other TLs (99,02), and this model blows those others away - car wise. Also, the XM satellite is pretty cool too! Too bad it's not in surround!!!

We now return to the DVD-A Workshop..............................:smokin
For those who generally don't prefer Acura, do any other cars have a similar system? I've always bought Audis and VWs in the past, although don't intend to buy either brand in the future due to poor service, so I am sort of flexible.

:banana: I hope someone can help me.
This may be silly but I'm trying to record my LP's to my computer using the SB audigy2
I am recoeding at 24/192 and also 24/96 stero on both using ceative player/recorder.
I wanted to add these tracks to discwelder bronze but it says that it only supports wave or aiff files
My recordinds are 24/96 and 24/192 wave files.
Am I missing something?

Can you please send me one of these files?
Bronze does indeed happily support both WAV & AIFF audio files, so there must be something amiss somewhere.
Not familiar with the Creative Player/Recorder, so not sure exactly what.
You can mail me a file direct, if possible. Just a single track wil do and I'll check it in my copy of Chrome. That way I can find out if the files are correct, or if you are doing something wrong.

What equipment do I need to make DVD-A at home. I am looking to burn DVD DTS track to DVD-A for my car (2004 Acura TL)and I am looking to convert my (unplayable DTS cd's) into DVD-A for the car. Any help would be apreciated. Also I would like to hear about you projects and experiences. :smokin

Last edited by a moderator:
Blackbird.
You have got some crossed wires, sir.
DTS in DVD is part of the DVD-Video spec, not DVD-Audio. DTS is not, and never has been, part of DVD-Audio. The confusion comes from DVD-Audio discs released by DTS Entertainments, and the appalling mislabelling and bad advertising on some online sellers who insist on including DTS-CD in DVD-Audio.
DTS-CD is yet another format.
Please post fully in the main forum with your questions, and I will do my best to help out. This part is just the "Welcome to the workshop" thread.

blackbirdr said:
What equipment do I need to make DVD-A at home. I am looking to burn DVD DTS track to DVD-A for my car (2004 Acura TL)and I am looking to convert my (unplayable DTS cd's) into DVD-A for the car. Any help would be apreciated. Also I would like to hear about you projects and experiences. :smokin

AFAIK the Acura player should be able to play dts cd... did i remember that wrong?

blackbirdr said:
If you are looking to take a DTS stream from a DVD and burn it to a DVD-A for use in the car, it can be done... but.... it is kind of a pain in the ass to do. There are many steps involved and it takes quite a while to complete (maybe about 2 hours to complete). The same can be done to your DTS cds but once again, it takes a while and you have to have a bunch of software to do it (all free but you need it none the less). Then you need a program, either Wavelab 5.01a or Discwelder (Bronze or Chrome will do nicely) to create the DVD-A from the extracted wavs. Once again, it is a time-consuming process.

check out this link:
http://www.app.demon.nl/DTSguide.htm

Nice link, Bob.
Can you do me a favour and make a new thread on this one - and put it as a sticky in the main DVD-A workshop forum, so it can be seen easily by members?

Much appreciated.

blackbirdr said:
I am looking to burn DVD DTS track to DVD-A for my car (2004 Acura TL)and I am looking to convert my (unplayable DTS cd's) into DVD-A for the car.

When I walked out of Costco last Friday night, parked in front was a 2005 Acura with a DVD-A setup promoting Costco's Car Referral program. I don't know if it was a TL or not. A kewl car with a sticker price of $35K. Yes.....I'm envious, blackbirdr, Jon Urban and Bob Romano!:eek:

Ed

I'm interested in this too. Dunno if I want to make a DVD-A or not. I do have SureCode MLP for compressing 24 bit 192 files but was thinking of just making a 24 bit 96 kHz DVD. That way I can skip making them DVD-A. I bought the SureCode by mistake thinking this is what I needed for DVD-A.

I'm only talking about needle drops and in stereo.

thanks in advance if you have a link or can shed a light on this process.

http://www.cirlinca.com

dvd-a solo, 35$.
You don't need MLP encoder for stereo at 96k, so this is ok for dvd-a.

No idea for DVD-V with 96k.

I know it's doable. I'm just not finding the info on it. Maybe it's nothing more than a regular DVD. Dunno.

Here's a link to dozens for sale in this format. If this isn't allowed, will the mods please delete it?

http://store.acousticsounds.com/category.cfm?id=25

Thanks for the link on the software. It looks like I can have the best of both worlds at an affordable cost.

Whelp....back to square one. The software installs but won't start. I get an error messge with a popup to send the error to Cirlinca.

Back