Music DVD Poll The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V "The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 2 - Poor Mix, Poor Content, Poor Packaging/Graphics

• 1 - Complete waste of plastic

• Total voters
I revisited a few tracks off this one recently, and admittedly I was kind of underwhelmed.

"Seven Bridges Road" is incredible, and it's worth buying the disc for that track alone, but the rest? Most of the music is in the fronts, the vocals and bass guitar are ONLY in the center channel, and the rears are mostly ambience with some light percussion and/or strings. You'd never know this was Scheiner's work, but in all fairness it's one of the first 5.1 mixes he ever did.

"Hotel California" (you can "see" the heavy center usage and that the rears mostly mirror the fronts):

"Seven Bridges Road" (here the rears are fully engaged):

The Farewell I Tour absolutely blows this away, if you ask me. That's a fully-discrete mix with the brass and keyboard isolated in the rears, and I like the setlist a lot more.

Last edited:
...the vocals and bass guitar are ONLY in the center channel...You'd never know this was Scheiner's work, but in all fairness it's one of the first 5.1 mixes he ever did.

Interesting quote from the man himself, from a 1999 article.
I don't put too much of anything in the center channel anymore. I made a mistake with The Eagles, and on one song, I put Henley's voice just in the center speaker. This was the first time I had ever mixed in 5.1 and I didn't think about any of the possible ramifications of putting it in there-as far as people having the ability to really "eyeball" this vocal on the center speaker, just turn everything off and go, "Uh-huh, uh-huh, I can hear a punch there." So I won't ever do that again.

It's funny reading this now that we have all those Steven Wilson mixes with the totally-exposed dry vocals in the center 😆

Last edited:
It's funny reading this now that we have all those Steven Wilson mixes with the totally-exposed dry vocals in the center 😆

I guess like with many things, people have to find their own way. Some can get certain things to work one way while others have to go a different route. It's probably that way also for both of these great masters - Scheiner and Wilson.

It’s a shame this was recorded on video. This is a great concert and deserves a blu-ray upgrade to lossless audio although the audio on the DVD 20bit DTS.

This was always a surround demo disc for me 10 years or so ago, before BD. But now on a big screen the video is substandard.

Interesting quote from the man himself, from a 1999 article.

I'll be the first to admit it has made for fun auditioning with certain channels muted. I've listened to this mix with the center and LFE only, and again with the just center channel disabled for a quasi-karaoke mode. Both (IMHO) are very cool and each a quite interesting take on songs I've know so well.

After seeing and hearing edisonbaggins review i started wondering if i don´t have this disc but haven´t even looked at it. This was true, i have bought it very cheap some time ago. Well now i wanted to see it and the review is right, this is an very good surround video! The reason for me being slow with looking at it is that my big focus on this band is for the two first albums. The less "country" they became the less interested was i. But this was very enjoyable to watch so thanks for putting the spotlight on it! It is definitely worth having in your collection of surround material!
And the music is of course good i should add :)

I like this not as slick as there farewell bluray that is the beauty of this. They looked like they were having fun. The sound and mix are excellent which this was on bluray. Overall a solid concert that is fun to watch and listen to 9

I was listening to this in the car and I have to say, to these old damaged ears, this still has a great surround mix. I was particularly struck by "The Heart of the Matter", so after I heard it from this concert I queued up the track from the DTS CD and it had nowhere near as clean a vocal and track as the live version. Particularly there is a part toward the end when Don is singing lead in mostly the center and the backup voices are in the front left and right and the effect is really nice.

I do like the Farewell HD-DVD audio track, but there are songs like this one, and "New York Minute" that are not on the Farewell disc. I suggest those who haven't spun this in a while who like this stuff give this another spin. It's really good, and you get Don Felder as well!

Back