The Fixx: 1011 Woodland--Perhaps Silverline is Getting It, But . . .

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Satullo

I just listened to this for the first time yesterday. It sounded quite impressive, at least from first blush. And, it is Silverline.

But . . . I see that the recording was made in 1998, which included remakes of some earlier material from the band, though newly done. Yet nowhere in the credits do I see anything beyond that, such as a surround remix. I know that Stuart Robinson metioned some trick that Silverline used with older titles to present a simulated surround (and those are the ones that made me swear never to purchase Silverline again), but this sounds several cuts above . . I wonder if there was any surround remix, or they just got lucky.

The fidelity of the disc is top-shelf, and so is its bass response. There are very aggressive surrounds, but I didn't really get the chance to listen too critically to determine just exactly what's coming from them. It's definitely worth several return visits.

Nick

Nick,

Silverline titles fall into two categories. There are the historical releases based on two-channel master tapes or releases that stem from the original multi-track sources.

Those discs that fall into the first category are processed via TC Unwrap, a proprietary suite of software applications that attempt to create a surround soundfield. I’m not a fan of TC Unwrap and feel they’d probably get far superior results using a Logic 7 matrix (I think the 960L has a suitable mode these days) or even Pro Logic II come to think of it!

The mix found on the discs in the second category depends on the skill of the mixing engineer and his artistic intent – plus the intent of the artist if he’s on-hand. There are actually a lot of recent recordings owned by 5.1 Entertainment that fall into this group. My latest find is Geoff Tate’s first solo title, (gratuitous plug alert) reviewed at:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/reviews/review.asp?reviewnumber=12460196

You might also want to take a look at Sanjay Durani’s article about 5.1 Entertainment, also at the same site. Amazing how much interesting information can be found there.

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/features/5point1.asp

I can confirm the silverline-problem: Many titles are stereo plus reverberation or a pseudo-mix. For surround-connoisseurs real a disappointment by listening and bad investment. At the Funkausstellung in Berlin there was seen many pictures of coming titles by solverline. But which will be true surround? Especially those announcements, which have the subtitle "from the front row" seems again only stereo plus hall. Among the silverlines are only a few, which will sound well or real in surround - for example the DVD-A "New Age" with additional nice music.

Also a curious mix will have the Chesky DVD-A "Swing Live" with true 4 quadraphonic music-channels. The sound will be around, but it is hard to find a real channel separation. The instruments will sound from different speakers - so everywhere and together nowhere exactly. Let's hope for a rerealization of the many Enoch Light's - from the orignal 4.0 master-tapes. Dietrich

High Fidelity Review said:
Nick,

Silverline titles fall into two categories. There are the historical releases based on two-channel master tapes or releases that stem from the original multi-track sources.

Those discs that fall into the first category are processed via TC Unwrap, a proprietary suite of software applications that attempt to create a surround soundfield. I’m not a fan of TC Unwrap and feel they’d probably get far superior results using a Logic 7 matrix (I think the 960L has a suitable mode these days) or even Pro Logic II come to think of it!

The mix found on the discs in the second category depends on the skill of the mixing engineer and his artistic intent – plus the intent of the artist if he’s on-hand. There are actually a lot of recent recordings owned by 5.1 Entertainment that fall into this group. My latest find is Geoff Tate’s first solo title, (gratuitous plug alert) reviewed at:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/reviews/review.asp? reviewnumber=12460196

You might also want to take a look at Sanjay Durani’s article about 5.1 Entertainment, also at the same site. Amazing how much interesting information can be found there.

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/features/5point1.asp

"I reminded Dean that using source material from the ‘70s and ‘80s may give critics another invitation to complain about the sonic quality of some of their DVD-A titles. “Sure, new recordings would have had better fidelity, but this is an opportunity to experience these artists at the peak of their talent. The emotions in these performances outweigh the technical limitations of the material” said Dean, quickly adding “of course we’re going to work from the highest quality, original multi-track master we can find.”

I thought this line was good:
"this is an opportunity to experience these artists at the peak of their talent. The emotions in these performances outweigh the technical limitations of the material”
And that's why I buy a Hi-Res format like DVD-A? Don't think so!

Scottmoose said:
Silverline getting the idea. Hope so. I really hope so; it'd be to everyone's benefit if they did.
I'll believe it when I hear it.
Scott

I thought Silverline's treament of Motorhead's "Ace of Spades" came out pretty good, so I went out and bought the more recently released DVD-A of Motorhead's "Overkill".

Not as good. :( Sounds like they took the easy way out by not doing a proper surround mix.

Silverline's inconsistency rears its' ugly head!

Should I put this title in the polls? Is it legit? There's an interview with Cy Curnin in the latest Sound & Vision about this DVD-A. That interview states there is a 1999 mix and then a 2002 mix, although it doesn't elaborate. Very strange.

Jon, This is one of the better Silverline releases. Discreet and some really catchy and rockin songs. The bass comes out solid and real. Well worth getting. I would give it 8.

At the bottom of the cover it states " Copyright 1999 CMC International Records. A division of Sanctuary Group. Copyright 2002 5.1 Label Group L.L.C. Product of Silverline".
Liner notes state that it was recorded at Woodland Studio's in 1998. Hope this helps.

Just got this and have been playing it more often than expected. I'm really enjoying the acoustic presentation. The surround could be described as nicely enveloping. Just now at "7: Wish".

I finally purchased this as a DualDisc and it arrived today. I will take it for a spin this weekend. I've always liked the Fixx. I'm kind of surprised there wasn't a rate this Disc Thread created yet. Unless, I missed it.

Last night, I listened to this disc and really liked the new versions of many of their songs. Besides the music, the best thing is the commentary on each track. Well worth the less than $9.00 I spent acquiring it but I would have paid twice that amount. It's nice to see music in surround for around $15.00 but no more than $20.00. I like hi-res music but have a hard time paying $20-$25 for only two channels of sound unless it's an artist I really need to have and can't live without like Paul McCartney.

Thank you dr8track for bumping this thread. For the same price I just picked up the dualdisc on Amazon. The good reviews here and on amazon helped......
Another reason to belong to this valuable forum I am finding some cheap surround here!

If you like The Fixx, you'll definitely like this disc.

I'm only familiar with some of their hits, which I do like. But given the positive feedback and considering the price of $1.84, I'd buy blindly without ever having heard anything by them. :)

Back