The Greatest Hits Of Frankie Valli And The Fabulous Four Seasons - Box Set with SQ prefix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q8

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I haven't even listened to this let alone run it through a matrix decoder but I found a copy of The Greatest Hits Of Frankie Valli And The Fabulous Four Seasons 4 record set by the Longines Symphonette Society.

No blatant indication of quad on the records or sleeve, but no indication of stereo either, just "Produced in Living Sound".

The thing that led me to believe it may be quad is the catalog number is SQ-95833.

It is produced by Bob Crewe so maybe it is actul re-recordings done by The Four Seasons?

I know that the LS quad records are usully QS, but whn I saw the SQ catalog number it made me wonder.

What do you think?

Ahh, the old LS set, my brother and I bought that back in 1975 or so...we split it so we each owned 2 records from the set.... Yeah, you can imagine how well that worked!
My strong recollection is that they are simply the original mixes, 99.9% sure they did not get the 4 Seasons back in the studio for a re-do of "Rag Doll" and the rest of the repetoire.
One never knew what kind of advertising LS or Pickwick Records would print on their covers. Quad? No way. John

Bob Crewe and the group apparently had something in their contracts that allowed them to gain control of their masters after a certain time; by 1975, this stuff was up for reissuing through Seasons members Bob Gaudio and Frankie Valli, and then came a Private Stock compilation that charted, many reissue singles, etc....and going on to this day. Someone was smart enough to take care of business, so they can still profit from their music.

This was a crude box set put out by Longines, but it was no longer the 'high quality' Longines Symphonette Society of the '60s, who put out the Herb Alpert, Bert Kaempfert, and other deluxe collections and many others of no distinction whatsoever. This edition of the label put out other dubious compilations for a few years, but sound quality was not a consideration. They just used what tapes they were given; sound Ok at best, but the sound of my vinyl was on the noisy side, though it looked minty.

FYI, many 2-Lp sets through the Cap Record Club had SQBB or some such in the title, but this had nothing to do with quad; just the numbers they used for club pressings, just as outside label pressings (MGM, Dunhill, Reprise, many others) were in the 90000 series, while Cap titles would be T/ST-8-whatever, which didn't mean 8-track, just the number they used to distinguish them fromm the store copies.

Not that 4 Seasons quad would have been that interesting, but, well, maybe more often, in phase, maybe.

ED :)

Back