The holy grail of Sansui quad is...?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes & no.
The Holy Grail for Sansui is the QRX-9001
Yes & no. I agree the 9001 is the Holy Grail for Sansui receivers not the 5500. If you want the ultimate in QS decoding the best option is the Involve Surround Master V 2. Match it up to good power amps & the Holy Grail has found you.

Hello & welvome new member Tom! I might point out there is a thread for new members to introduce. And just as good in your member profile to list all the hardware stuff you have. Where are you located?

Last edited:
Um, this is the Holy Grail..................

Brochure Page 1.jpg

I got mine in '77, but it might have appeared in '76. The 999 is just the 9001 in black with dual voltage selection.

You can see a lot of them HERE

OK I thought my friend had one, but that would have been impossible . I briefly owned a Sansui but at same time the big Kenwood with the CD 4 demod built in which I was impressed with. I could only drop ship 200 lbs so I sold the Sansui if memory serves. As it was whoever packed my shit for shipping confiscated a few dozen TDK cassettes of LP rips.

I just love the old Sansui stuff, pity they were acquired by the Grande group of Hong Kong along with Nakamichi, Akai and Emmerson. They proceeded to trash all these great brands by just using them as a name to flog cheapo Chinese shit to the general market. If I was loaded I would buy these brands back and release great stuff again but Naka and Sansui would be my main targets. (We nearly did it in 2007 with this):

https://www.behance.net/gallery/40287/Dragon-Electrostatic-Speaker

1595077694669.png

Brian Ling claimed he designed it but that was bullshit it was Dave the Bitch and my good self and another Aussie Chris Knap (bastard still owes me $3000 but I like him!) Pity the Grande Group had a $600 million loss and it was cancelled after we made 200 of them. I had dinners with the boss of Sansui at the time - such a trashing of a great brand.

OK I am bitter....lost $3Million personally on it, still broke!

I have a QRX 70001 which I bought from a person in NY City who said it was near new - had not been used for years. When it arrived it looked untouched but did not play well. I paid 400 + shipping. So, I took it to "Save On Sound" in Houston. This is a one man shop who happens to be a quad expert! He know everything...what can and cannot be repaired or made right again. He refurbished the 7001 for 450. He told me that he replaced everything old because all had deteriorated from age. He says age is the biggest problem with these machines. He also refurbished 2 Lafayette LR 5000s and a QRX 3500 for me. All these machines perform wonderfully well...... He added that the higher the QRX number, the more complex is the machine and the more difficult to solve performance issues.

I have a QRX 70001 which I bought from a person in NY City who said it was near new - had not been used for years. When it arrived it looked untouched but did not play well. I paid 400 + shipping. So, I took it to "Save On Sound" in Houston. This is a one man shop who happens to be a quad expert! He know everything...what can and cannot be repaired or made right again. He refurbished the 7001 for 450. He told me that he replaced everything old because all had deteriorated from age. He says age is the biggest problem with these machines. He also refurbished 2 Lafayette LR 5000s and a QRX 3500 for me. All these machines perform wonderfully well...... He added that the higher the QRX number, the more complex is the machine and the more difficult to solve performance issues.
Curious. Did you ship it to him? I was planning to send mine to the QRX Store in Oregon

No, he is located about 35 miles from where I live. However, he is not the only repair shop in the Houston area but is the only shop I trust because he, the owner, does all the work by himself. He just really knows quad systems and related equipment. He has worked in the quad field for years. But if you already have someone you can trust and rely on that is very good. So many shops hire techs to do their work but they don't have the experience really needed to know exactly why something happens and its related effects.

I had a QRX 9001, complete with Sansui Speakers, the rears were a 360 degree design.
I much prefer the Poineer 949 I have now, because it has Matrix, and discreet decoding built in.
I did like all the VU meters, knobs and all the switches , the Sansui had though, very impressive to look at

I had a QRX 9001, complete with Sansui Speakers, the rears were a 360 degree design.
I much prefer the Poineer 949 I have now, because it has Matrix, and discreet decoding built in.
I did like all the VU meters, knobs and all the switches , the Sansui had though, very impressive to look at
The Sansui 9001 has the best matrix decoder they made at the time, mainly for QS but also does an excellent job at SQ. It's built in, just like the Pioneer. Unless you have the 949a, the decoder is a little substandard. The "a" had "full logic" SQ which was the best at the time. Both had built in CD-4 demodulators

The Sansui 9001 has the best matrix decoder they made at the time, mainly for QS but also does an excellent job at SQ. It's built in, just like the Pioneer. Unless you have the 949a, the decoder is a little substandard. The "a" had "full logic" SQ which was the best at the time. Both had built in CD-4 demodulators
I have no complaints with the decoders in the Pioneer, it works fine with the records I have, Sq, QS, CD-4.

I am gonna be the odd guy out. I have and enjoy my QRX7001 and it is a reliable workhorse... BUT my fave receiver is my JVC 4VR 5456X. It has front and back EQs and more input flexibility. I just wish my example was more reliable. These 4 channel sets are soooooo heavy to move in and out and hook up. My JVC was the first CD4 demogitator (tm QL) that just worked. I prefer outboard matrix decoders but that is my only pet peeve. That said, we all have preferences and I won't knock the Marantz, Akai, Kenwood, Pioneer and Sylvania, etc. lovers out there. I have a Sylvania that I love too and an Akai as a backup.

Back