HiRez Poll The Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band - THE TRAVELER [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band - THE TRAVELER

• Total voters
I was interested in knowing the difference in the 5.1 and Atmos mixes. I ripped each into a FLAC file. Here are the channel waveforms in Audition.Inexact, I know, but a very slight boost in surrounds on the 5.1, otherwise really similar first 6 channels. FWIW. I would expect them to sound really similar.

View attachment 43179

View attachment 43180

Yes, but it does have the extra audio coming from the height channels that may fill in the overall sound when actually listening in full Atmos, is that not correct?
I believe we need more folks here that have full Atmos capable systems to get to know this title well and chime in. I may sound critical on some aspects of this, but that is only from a 5.1 aspect; and it is an overall very fine album with much to like, and besides everyone's system is different.

Yes, but it does have the extra audio coming from the height channels that may fill in the overall sound when actually listening in full Atmos, is that not correct?
I believe we need more folks here that have full Atmos capable systems to get to know this title well and chime in. I may sound critical on some aspects of this, but that is only from a 5.1 aspect; and it is an overall very fine album with much to like, and besides everyone's system is different.
The difference in the Atmos mix is a much richer sound even my son noticed how much better he can hear the bass kick drum.

The other thing to watch out for when comparing the Atmos to the 5.1 is the overall average volume. Even if the heights were putting out something identical to the other channels it may increase the overall volume level in the listening room. And the louder rendition will always sound better

So far I have to agree with much of what has already been said. The 5.1 rear levels are too low and indeed benefit from a 3-4 dB boost. Once that's done, the side soundstages blossom nicely and it all becomes a pretty decent surround mix. Fidelity is very good, but not great. Definitely sounds better when cranked loudly, more so than most other releases.

Except for the first track, I wouldn't call it "country". I need to listen more, but its 9 territory.

Thatā€™s the TrueHD 7.1 core track not Atmos in those waveforms posted. You canā€™t convert Atmos objects to conventional channels. You can only decode Atmos via an AVR.

FLAC only support 8 channels anyway.
Its the only disc I recall offering a 7.1 mix. I assume the 7.1 tracks are what is used to decode the Atmos information... yes?

Thatā€™s the TrueHD 7.1 core track not Atmos in those waveforms posted. You canā€™t convert Atmos objects to conventional channels. You can only decode Atmos via an AVR.

FLAC only support 8 channels anyway.
Ahhh ... that explains a lot. Thanks Homer, for the education. Have not made the Atmos plunge. But I like the comments I'm hearing.

So I guess I'm confused (no big surprise there).

The booklet lists audio formats as follows:

2.0 LCPM stereo 24bit/48kHz
5.1 DTSHD MA 24bit/48kHz
Dolby Atmos Headphone Mix

no mention of a 7.1 mix...

and is a Dolby headphone mix even meant to be played on loudspeakers?

Not ready to cast my vote yet only listened to the DTS score so still have the Dolby True HD to hear (donā€™t have an Atmos set up so will have to forgo that option) but I already know the score will be high...just think if only they had added 4 CDā€™s of forgettable outtakes and a 30 page hard cover book they could have charged Ā£140 instead of Ā£14šŸ¤”...this deserves to be a success and other labels should take note!!

Dynamic Range from Loudness Database:

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band / The Traveler
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
DR12      -4.18 dB   -21.64 dB      4:22 1/10-Woman Like You
DR12      -4.97 dB   -21.41 dB      4:11 2/10-Long Time Running
DR13      -4.72 dB   -21.46 dB      6:29 3/10-I Want You
DR11      -4.77 dB   -21.15 dB      4:02 4/10-Tailwind
DR11      -4.46 dB   -21.58 dB      3:43 5/10-Gravity
DR12      -3.10 dB   -21.04 dB      5:31 6/10-We All Alright
DR11      -4.26 dB   -20.80 dB      4:36 7/10-Take It on Home
DR12      -4.17 dB   -19.79 dB      3:47 8/10-Mr. Soul
DR12      -3.88 dB   -21.61 dB      3:55 9/10-Better With Time
DR11      -4.16 dB   -21.03 dB      5:47 10/10-Turn to Stone

Number of tracks:  10
Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate:        48000 Hz
Channels:          8
Bitrate:           3779 kbps
Codec:             TRUEHD
================================================================================

Dynamic Range from Loudness Database:

Code:
Analyzed: Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band / The Traveler

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
DR12      -4.18 dB   -21.64 dB      4:22 1/10-Woman Like You
DR12      -4.97 dB   -21.41 dB      4:11 2/10-Long Time Running
DR13      -4.72 dB   -21.46 dB      6:29 3/10-I Want You
DR11      -4.77 dB   -21.15 dB      4:02 4/10-Tailwind
DR11      -4.46 dB   -21.58 dB      3:43 5/10-Gravity
DR12      -3.10 dB   -21.04 dB      5:31 6/10-We All Alright
DR11      -4.26 dB   -20.80 dB      4:36 7/10-Take It on Home
DR12      -4.17 dB   -19.79 dB      3:47 8/10-Mr. Soul
DR12      -3.88 dB   -21.61 dB      3:55 9/10-Better With Time
DR11      -4.16 dB   -21.03 dB      5:47 10/10-Turn to Stone

Number of tracks:  10
Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate:        48000 Hz
Channels:          8
Bitrate:           3779 kbps
Codec:             TRUEHD
================================================================================
What does this mean?.

It means that the average dynamic range (the difference between the loudest point and the quietest point) of this album rates 12 on a scale of 0 to 14+, which is very good. Albums with heavy dynamic range compression can become fatiguing to listen to.
Gotcha thanks it does sound really good just listening again the sounds from the rear 2 speakers are incredible

Back