The Kinks Box Set

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are killing me John....."beyond VHS video" I haven't seen VHS in a post for awhile....a real flashback...indeed...somebody will probably respond to this post saying they still play that format o_O
I still have a player, sitting in a closet with dust on it 😁 - I hate VHS tape even more than Chucky dislikes center channel
One of the little f**kers ate my wedding tape (I almost felt like that gal screaming “The Dingo ate my baby!)

hey, I do like my Kinks SACD of Sleepwalker.

I had one and also a Super VHS machine as well...when I moved I got rid of all those machines...even my sacred Nakamichi cassette tape machine
My first VCR was a hi-fi one (when they were not common) absolutely loved it at the time. I remember 30 years ago wanting a Super VHS machine but at AUD 2000 (at the time) they were way beyond my budget.

I don't believe there is anything to be gained from surround mixes of Kinks albums. Maybe from Phobia, that is somewhat congested, but it was meant to be congested.

My favorite band BTW.
I have played Arthur and Lola vs Powerman through the Surround Master, and had some pretty good results. Kinks are one of my 3 favourite groups (the other two are the Beatles and XTC).

My first VCR was a hi-fi one (when they were not common) absolutely loved it at the time. I remember 30 years ago wanting a Super VHS machine but at AUD 2000 (at the time) they were way beyond my budget.

It's a shame that they screwed up with the software for Super VHS...there really wasn't anything to buy...a few scattered titles and that was it...

I remember the first time I "heard" a hi fi VCR....they were playing "Footloose"...it sounded so good o_O

I don't believe there is anything to be gained from surround mixes of Kinks albums. Maybe from Phobia, that is somewhat congested, but it was meant to be congested.

My favorite band BTW.
The Kinks evolved so much over the decades. I would be very interested to hear some of their big tracks from the 80s In surround. Thinking of the haunting keyboards in “Living on a Thin Line”, the interweaving vocals of “Do It Again”, and the raw punch and extra guitar parts from “Destroyer”. Lots of good stuff there to work with.

And with a killer sound engineer, I think the right treatment of the studio version of “Lola” from 1970 could be eye (ear) opening!

I remember the first time I "heard" a hi fi VCR....they were playing "Footloose"...it sounded so good o_O
they were great for their time, I used to record a lot of 'audio-only' tapes - borrowed cds and FM radio broadcasts.
Agreed. Back when vinyl ruled, a HiFi VCR was the best analog source in my equipment rack. I can remember taping the Barney shows for my son from cable (you know the purple dinosaur guy), and the recorded audio that came off those shows was some of the best I ever heard. I was stunned.

I am not purchasing any of the Kinks box sets without surround sound mixes. Not enough new material to warrant the cost. They have a truly great catalogue, lasting and evolving over a long period - but some of the early albums were never mixed for stereo, and these box sets are only remastered.

I think the deluxe double CD releases in 2014 are sufficient. The one for Lola couples it with the Percy soundtrack and each have multiple bonus tracks. Lola has two extra songs which are just so so besides some alternate versions. Agree about the great catalog.

Jon agree about that lyric. I used to recite it that way too.
If I didn't make it clear above I regard Lola as a great album followed by Muswell Hillbillies which I love and the deluxe version and earlier sacd I believe had some worthy bonus tracks.

If I had had the money back in the day I would have bought a Betamax. It had, arguably, the better technology of the competing formats. After that marketing debacle, I totally avoided HDD and Blu Ray until Blu Ray was considered the winner. And I never spent one red cent on DIVX.

Last edited:
Jon agree about that lyric. I used to recite it that way too.
If I didn't make it clear above I regard Lola as a great album followed by Muswell Hillbillies which I love and the deluxe version and earlier sacd I believe had some worthy bonus tracks.
Don’t forget “Arthur.” And “Village Green.” I mean, what a body of work!

Last edited:
I owned the first gen betamax. It was built beefier than an oppo 😲

If you dropped it on your foot it would remind me of the "Hobble" scene from Misery.

Last edited:
Back