The Kinks "The Journey Part 1" 2CD compilation (3/24/2023-BMG)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5.1 4 Life

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Info from BMG-
The Kinks are one of the greatest ever British bands, and one of the most influential rock groups of all time, without whom many of the big rock acts that followed would not have existed. Their multi-award-winning, legendary front man Sir Ray Davies is one of the greatest all-time British songwriters.

Celebrating The Kinks 60th anniversary and compiled by The Kinks, this is a new, high-profile, worldwide release combining the Pye, RCA and Arista catalogues properly for the first time. It is the first new Kinks ‘best of’ for many years. This is a key part of BMG’s high-profile, worldwide Kinks 60th anniversary campaign, 2023-24, featuring a host of Kinks media events, comprehensive marketing and BMG audio/audio-visual releases.

The Journey is a collection of tracks chosen by The Kinks’ Ray Davies, Dave Davies and Mick Avory that reflect the trials and tribulations of their journey through life together as a band since 1963. Contains: Hits, key album tracks, singles, band favorites and B-sides. All recordings remastered from original master sources. Features 8 Top 20 Hits (of which 5 were top 3) including: “Waterloo Sunset,” “You Really Got Me,” “Celluloid Heroes,” “Supersonic Rocket Ship,” “Dead End Street,” “Death Of A Clown” and “All Day And All Of The Night.”

Tracks are taken from all the classic original Kinks albums, including: Kinda Kinks, Face To Face, Something Else and the recently remastered 50th anniversary editions of Village Green Preservation Society, Lola, Muswell Hillbillies and Everybody’s In Show-Biz.

Booklet includes band photos and personal track by track notes from Ray Davies, Dave Davies & Mick Avory.

Tracklist
[CD1]
1. You Really Got Me
2. All Day And All Of The Night
3. It's All Right
4. Who'll Be The Next In Line
5. Tired Of Waiting For You
6. Dandy
7. She's Got Everything
8. Just Can't Go To Sleep
9. Stop Your Sobbing
10. Wait Till The Summer Comes Along
11. So Long
12. I'm Not Like Everybody Else
13. Dead End Street
14. Wonderboy
15. Schooldays
16. The Hard Way
17. Mindless Child Of Motherhood
18. Supersonic Rocket Ship
19. I'm In Disgrace
20. Do You Remember Walter?

[CD2]
1. Too Much On My Mind
2. Nothin' In The World Can Stop Me Worryin' 'Bout That Girl
3. Days
4. Last Of The Steam-Powered Trains
5. Where Have All The Good Times Gone
6. Strangers
7. It's Too Late
8. Sitting In The Midday Sun
9. Waterloo Sunset
10. Australia
11. No More Looking Back
12. Death Of A Clown - Dave Davies
13. Celluloid Heroes
14. Act Nice And Gentle
15. This Is Where I Belong
16. Shangri-La

1675895496635.png

Pre-order at Amazon USA-
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTXVYDNF/?tag=imwan-20

Info from BMG-
The Kinks are one of the greatest ever British bands, and one of the most influential rock groups of all time, without whom many of the big rock acts that followed would not have existed. Their multi-award-winning, legendary front man Sir Ray Davies is one of the greatest all-time British songwriters.

Celebrating The Kinks 60th anniversary and compiled by The Kinks, this is a new, high-profile, worldwide release combining the Pye, RCA and Arista catalogues properly for the first time. It is the first new Kinks ‘best of’ for many years. This is a key part of BMG’s high-profile, worldwide Kinks 60th anniversary campaign, 2023-24, featuring a host of Kinks media events, comprehensive marketing and BMG audio/audio-visual releases.

The Journey is a collection of tracks chosen by The Kinks’ Ray Davies, Dave Davies and Mick Avory that reflect the trials and tribulations of their journey through life together as a band since 1963. Contains: Hits, key album tracks, singles, band favorites and B-sides. All recordings remastered from original master sources. Features 8 Top 20 Hits (of which 5 were top 3) including: “Waterloo Sunset,” “You Really Got Me,” “Celluloid Heroes,” “Supersonic Rocket Ship,” “Dead End Street,” “Death Of A Clown” and “All Day And All Of The Night.”

Tracks are taken from all the classic original Kinks albums, including: Kinda Kinks, Face To Face, Something Else and the recently remastered 50th anniversary editions of Village Green Preservation Society, Lola, Muswell Hillbillies and Everybody’s In Show-Biz.

Booklet includes band photos and personal track by track notes from Ray Davies, Dave Davies & Mick Avory.

Tracklist
[CD1]
1. You Really Got Me
2. All Day And All Of The Night
3. It's All Right
4. Who'll Be The Next In Line
5. Tired Of Waiting For You
6. Dandy
7. She's Got Everything
8. Just Can't Go To Sleep
9. Stop Your Sobbing
10. Wait Till The Summer Comes Along
11. So Long
12. I'm Not Like Everybody Else
13. Dead End Street
14. Wonderboy
15. Schooldays
16. The Hard Way
17. Mindless Child Of Motherhood
18. Supersonic Rocket Ship
19. I'm In Disgrace
20. Do You Remember Walter?

[CD2]
1. Too Much On My Mind
2. Nothin' In The World Can Stop Me Worryin' 'Bout That Girl
3. Days
4. Last Of The Steam-Powered Trains
5. Where Have All The Good Times Gone
6. Strangers
7. It's Too Late
8. Sitting In The Midday Sun
9. Waterloo Sunset
10. Australia
11. No More Looking Back
12. Death Of A Clown - Dave Davies
13. Celluloid Heroes
14. Act Nice And Gentle
15. This Is Where I Belong
16. Shangri-La

View attachment 88378

Pre-order at Amazon USA-
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTXVYDNF/?tag=imwan-20
Bizarre track order and listing. And what about MCA and Columbia?

Bizarre track order and listing. And what about MCA and Columbia?
According to this article from SuperDeluxeEdition.com; The Kinks went for a thematic (instead of a chronological) approach for the contents of The Journey Part 1.

• SONGS ABOUT BECOMING A MAN, THE SEARCH FOR ADVENTURE, FINDING AN IDENTITY AND A GIRL:​

1. YOU REALLY GOT ME (UK#1, 1964)
    2. ALL DAY AND ALL OF THE NIGHT (UK#2, 1964)
    3. IT’S ALL RIGHT (1964)
    4. WHO’LL BE THE NEXT IN LINE (1965)
    5. TIRED OF WAITING FOR YOU (UK#1, 1965)
    6. DANDY (GERMANY#1, 1966)
    7. SHE’S GOT EVERYTHING (1968)
    8. JUST CAN’T GO TO SLEEP (1964)
    9. STOP YOUR SOBBING (1964)
    10. WAIT TILL THE SUMMER COMES ALONG (1965)
    11. SO LONG (1965)
    12. I’M NOT LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE (1966)
    13. SONGS OF AMBITION ACHIEVED, BITTER TASTE OF SUCCESS, LOSS OF FRIENDS, THE PAST COMES BACK AND BITES YOU IN THE BACK-SIDE:
    1. DEAD END STREET (UK#5, 1966)
    2. WONDERBOY (1968)
    3. SCHOOLDAYS (1975)
    4. THE HARD WAY (1975)
    5. MINDLESS CHILD OF MOTHERHOOD (1969)
    6. SUPERSONIC ROCKET SHIP (UK#2, 1972)
    7. I’M IN DISGRACE (1975)
    8. DO YOU REMEMBER WALTER? (1968)
  • CD 2

DAYS AND NIGHTS OF A LOST SOUL, SONGS OF REGRET AND REFLECTION OF HAPPIER TIMES:​

1. TOO MUCH ON MY MIND (1966)
    2. NOTHIN’ IN THE WORLD CAN STOP ME WORRYIN’ ‘BOUT THAT GIRL (1965)
    3. DAYS (UK#2, 1968)
    4. LAST OF THE STEAM-POWERED TRAINS (1968)
    5. WHERE HAVE ALL THE GOOD TIMES GONE (1965)
    6. STRANGERS (1970)
    7. IT’S TOO LATE (1965)
    8. SITTING IN THE MIDDAY SUN (1973)
    9. A NEW START, A NEW LOVE, BUT HAVE YOU REALLY CHANGED? STILL HAUNTED BY THE QUEST AND THE GIRL:
    1. WATERLOO SUNSET (UK#2, 1967)
    2. AUSTRALIA (1969)
    3. NO MORE LOOKING BACK (1975)
    4. DEATH OF A CLOWN (UK#3, 1967)
    5. CELLULOID HEROES (1972)
    6. ACT NICE AND GENTLE (1967)
    7. THIS IS WHERE I BELONG (1967)
    8. SHANGRI-LA (1969)
And yes, there nothing from The Kinks' stints at MCA or Columbia on this set (maybe they're saving them for future installments of The Journey).

So they say they are including songs from Lola, but then don't include Lola? Strange!

I'm using the Marantz SA11S3 SACD Player through separate components and they sound just fine on my system, JJ.
No reason one can't enjoy poorly mastered discs! I have quite a few that are still worth listening thanks to their musical content, the Kinks' Celluloid Heroes and Come Dancing SACD compilations among them.

I wonder who is mastering/cutting the vinyl - and what sources will be used? I think lot of recent Kinks vinyl has been done by Kevin Grey and the few I have are mostly well done.

Back