The Legacy of Dr Bauer

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The SQ Position Encoder is an SQ encoder, each of the settings for a particular position set the phase and amplitude of the signals so that it would [SQ] decode at the desired position. A unique feature was "diagonal splits" which provided (IIRC) ~8 dB (LF/RB and RF/LB) rather than the ~3 dB of a regular 4 corner [only] input SQ encoder.

(I have a photocopy somewhere that gives the vectors, I worked thru them many years ago on my HP-45 to see what they meant by "diagonal splits")

Kirk Bayne
Loved my HP45. The young guys have been brainwashed by Texas Instruments, RPN is vastly superior!

Last edited:
Yes, RPN forces the user to think what they are doing regarding algebraic hierarchy, IMHO, it's too easy to get lost in a sea of parenthesis (on TI et al. calculators).

The rectangular polar conversion on my HP-45 (it still works!) got a workout working thru some of the matrix encoding/decoding equations.

Kirk Bayne

Yes, RPN forces the user to think what they are doing regarding algebraic hierarchy, IMHO, it's too easy to get lost in a sea of parenthesis (on TI et al. calculators).

The rectangular polar conversion on my HP-45 (it still works!) got a workout working thru some of the matrix encoding/decoding equations.

Kirk Bayne
I have had many HP's the first one was the 45 that I purchased when I was around 15 years old. I have had many since and currently use the 35S and a HP 21 emulator on my phone. I refuse to use anything less and pity the fools who do

No. Those are the vectors that are produced by the 4211 SQ Encoder having been fed phase and amplitude optimised signals from the position encoder.

In fact, that very HFN/RR article of March 75 (written by Bauer) gives further proof that the Position Encoder was not itself an SQ encoder and one or more of them had to be connected to an SQ Encoder to produce a matrix encoded output. He makes this entirely clear in the first part of the article on the previous page where he describes the 4212 Position Encoder as a “convenient accessory” to the 4211 SQ Encoder:
View attachment 68976

Note in particular that he says that it is the 4211 SQ Encoder that "delivers two coded signals, LT and RT" (and he does not say this is of the 'accessory' position encoder).

The differences between the two bits of equipment highlight their different functions. Clearly the Position Encoder (fig.2b) wasn't capable of being used as an SQ encoder in a studio environment as it doesn’t have level meters (and in fact it doesn’t even have an on /off switch – I think it might be entirely passive). Contrast this with the facilities on the actual SQ Encoder, the 4211 (fig2a):
View attachment 68977
Notice the three-position switch under each panpot.

One position is off.
One has a square for going around the edge of the room.
One has an hourglass shape for diagonal splits.

I have had many HP's the first one was the 45 that I purchased when I was around 15 years old. I have had many since and currently use the 35S and a HP 21 emulator on my phone. I refuse to use anything less and pity the fools who do
I standardized myself on the Casio scientific calculators. I can't stand RPN.

You think that was fun. When I did all of my original calculations on matrix, I had nothing but a slide rule, pen, and paper.

Last edited:
Back in the 1970s, I'd show my HP-45 to visiting family members and most would soon say:
"where's the = key?" :)

IIRC, Leonard Feldman (of Stereo-4 matrix fame) mentioned using an HP calculator to figure out what happened when matrix encoded content was played thru the "wrong" decoder.

Kirk Bayne

Back