The Lies Are Still Out There

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it could have been a poor mastering job on the LP in the first place that was being more fully revealed by the shibata. either way, the more musical result came from the plane jane stylus on at least this LP. i would love to have been able to compare other records but my main job was to get a usable turntable so i could dub/digitize this particular album.

Does a Shibata stylus require a particular cartridge?

what carts do you have already?
there may be a Shibata that fits.

edit: also, i guess it kinda depends on the application? if it's for CD-4 you'll want a cartridge body and stylus combination that can handle all the high frequency stuff, has the necessary separation, etc.

either way, setup becomes even more critical with Shibata's and all the Line Contact, MircoLine, etc exotic types of.. styliiiii..!

what carts do you have already?
there may be a Shibata that fits.

edit: also, i guess it kinda depends on the application? if it's for CD-4 you'll want a cartridge body and stylus combination that can handle all the high frequency stuff, has the necessary separation, etc.

either way, setup becomes even more critical with Shibata's and all the Line Contact, MircoLine, etc exotic types of.. styliiiii..!
I can't see getting in to CD-4 unless I stumble across a full rig (TT and decoder) pretty cheap!
Just interested in the possibility of making munched records sound better, at this point.

I can't see getting in to CD-4 unless I stumble across a full rig (TT and decoder) pretty cheap!
Just interested in the possibility of making munched records sound better, at this point.

your turntable might well be upto snuff for CD-4, which make & model is it?

a CD-4 demodulator is pretty straightforward, JVC 4DD-5's come up regularly on eBay quite reasonably priced, preferably one that's been used rather than NOS that's been sitting in styrofoam for decades.

i found the most influential things are getting records that are clean and in good nick and that the better the stylus is at resolving detail the more it shows up shitty dirty old records.

https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/cartridges/line-series/at-vm95-series
https://www.audioappraisal.com/audio-technica-at-vm95-detailed-review-measurements/
Although CD-4 is mentioned, the reviewer didn't test the AT-VM95SH for CD-4 performance.

I'm considering this phono cartridge - the AT-VM95SH - to replace my Shure V-15 type 3, I don't know if the AT Microline stylus bridges groove damage like a Shibata stylus does though, I recommend a Shibata stylus.

Kirk Bayne

looks cool! 😎 i'll try one of these when my current AT15's and 440ML's go belly up

This wasn't the first record with a short life problem.

The V-discs during World War II were made of Vitrolac (vinyl) and lasted only a few plays with a standard 78 cartridge.

They continued making these printed on cereal boxes into the 1950s.

In basic terms, no, particular cartridges aren't required for using a Shibata or like stylus. They are just different profiles but can be used in any cartridge which will accept them, physically and electrically/magnetically.

And I will repeat, CD-4 records do NOT necessarily have a short life span. That whole argument is ridiculous.

Doug

Well just my 2 cents.

I had Shibata for my CD-4 records (JVC 4MD 20X) and it was OK, but when I switched to a non shibata namely the Shure M 24 H , the difference was amazing .

I would think that, once the RCA AES CD-4 vinyl paper was published in late 1974, stylus designers would make it a priority to design stylus shapes that primarily contact the upper undamaged half of the record groove which would bring audible benefits when playing all types of vinyl (and styrene 45s).

I don't recall cartridge makers emphasizing the bridging the groove damage benefit of line contact designs though.

Kirk Bayne

your turntable might well be upto snuff for CD-4, which make & model is it?
PXL_20220327_020937534~2.jpg

If your tonearm doesn't have anti-skate and full adjustment over all axis, you're not dialing ANY cartridge in even remotely close to spec, let alone critically! That would devolve into "DJ turntable" territory pretty quickly. Or what some people would refer to as a "lathe".

I'm a scavenger with vinyl gear. Never had a constant stream of 5 figures to play with this as a proper hobby. I scavenged up decent enough stuff to more or less hear some of these copies of recordings in a decently serious way.

I know my Bens Micro MC-3 is supposed to have a smaller tip that rides lower in the grooves. That can lead to playing pristine real estate just underneath some previous damage across the surface. (Looks scratched to hell. Plays magically silent.)

Alright, so you guys are trying to do the opposite here! Find undamaged area ABOVE someone else's previous damage deeper down. I thought the cheaper cartridges always had larger tip stylus? But this is a unique system and it looks like you have one correct product to choose from. Perhaps this is one of those annoying examples where someone with a more audiophile smaller cartridge has to know about this system ahead of time or they risk destroying it with the very thing they thought they had the "good expensive" version of.

Back