The Lies Are Still Out There

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Puzzling indeed, I don't see how that would happen, unless a badly worn Shibata stylus was the stylus in a phono cartridge with poor tracking ability, which would cause damage to the upper half of the record groove.

Kirk Bayne
I can think of one way.

A cheapo record player with a 2-mil "compromise" 78/LP stylus played the record, damaging the upper part of the groove. I keep wondering what stylus is in those cheapo 3-speeds they sell today.

In my cheapo childhood days, the stylus flipped over for 33/45 or 78.

we chucked away so many 78's when me dear ol' Grandad went into a home, i remember taking them out to the tip they weighed a bloody ton and they only had something like 3 minutes of music on each side! we're so spoilt now with all the music in great quality we have at our fingertips, its good to be reminded of how much progress has been made in audio/Hi-Fi, all those shitty old 78s of his were "only" from the 30s-50s, the last 50 years has been incredible for lovers of recorded music!

You threw them away?

There is one 78 that is worth $30,000 if you find it intact.

What is it about most people that they value the music from when they were young, and think that all other music is worth throwing out?

Last edited:
You threw them away?

There is one 78 that is worth $30,000 if you find it intact.

What is it about most people that they value the music from when they were young, and think that all other music is worth throwing out?

Grandad moved into a residential care home over 20 years ago, i wager those 78s weren't worth a fart in a phonebox then and if they were then it wouldn't be the first time i flushed a fortune down the pan! :LOL:

i don't know, i can't speak for anyone else but i'm an inveterate hoarder and kept a number of 45s and LPs of Grandad's going back to the 50s and 60s which i still have to this day, it was just the 78s and their sound quality and content and the sheer space they took up that didn't do it for me at the time. 20+ years ago my Grandad didn't want any of the records at all, he wanted to downsize and simplify his life in his 80s and was happy to offload them all, nobody else in the immediate family wanted the 78s either and storing them wasn't an option so off they went to the great gramophone in the sky.

Grandad moved into a residential care home over 20 years ago, i wager those 78s weren't worth a fart in a phonebox then and if they were then it wouldn't be the first time i flushed a fortune down the pan! :LOL:

i don't know, i can't speak for anyone else but i'm an inveterate hoarder and kept a number of 45s and LPs of Grandad's going back to the 50s and 60s which i still have to this day, it was just the 78s and their sound quality and content and the sheer space they took up that didn't do it for me at the time. 20+ years ago my Grandad didn't want any of the records at all, he wanted to downsize and simplify his life in his 80s and was happy to offload them all, nobody else in the immediate family wanted the 78s either and storing them wasn't an option so off they went to the great gramophone in the sky.
When my parents down sized my Dad asked me to look after his LPs & 78s as he didn't want them thrown away (talk about role reversals!) over 20 years on I still have them ........... and can't chuck them out

Hey all these posts are off topic.

From the thread title I thought this was a discussion of the 2020 election results and the false russian collusion hoax
I'm confused.........:unsure:
As I dive behind my desk to avoid flying projectiles.....

A false hoax? That means it wasn't a hoax.

And if that's the first 'scandal' you can think of, I can tell what media you consume.

We knew what he meant.

And now, of course, this thread has drifted far afield from my original subject, that of all the lies spread about CD-4 back in the day and the continued belief in some of them, to this day.

Doug

Last edited:
We knew what he meant.

And now, of course, this thread has drifted far afield from my original subject, that of all the lies spread about CD-4 back in the day and the continued belief in some of them, to this day.

Doug

FWIW I had a couple of bad CD-4 pressings back in the day ,but not from wear and tear.

But if I were to recommend someone to get in to CD-4 albums.......probably not . But if they must then never ever buy used Quadradiscs.
Buy from someone who looked after them ,like someone dumping a collection. Or better yet still sealed cutouts .

http://pspatialaudio.com/snow_plough.htm
One unusual advantage of a true Shibata stylus (Louis Dorren used this technique to clean a [RCA supplied] CD-4 disc played 500 times by a ~5g conical stylus and make it playable in CD-4).

I don't know if there are any SEM images of an ultrasonically cleaned worn CD-4 disc, but ultrasonic cleaning should restore a worn CD-4 disc to look like the worn CD-4 discs in the RCA AES paper.

Kirk Bayne

My 2 used CD-4 discs from:
https://vinylren.com/grading-policy/and
Home | Mills Record Company (noticed an employee hand cleaning LPs [device similar to a Discwasher], I asked if they used ultrasonic cleaning, they said no)

Both of these CD-4 discs sound good in stereo, but too noisy/distorted in quad (I'm convinced that if I ultrasonically cleaned them and used a proper CD-4 cart, they would sound good in quad).

Kirk Bayne

Back