The Meitner SACD-1000/DAC Playback System

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
If you want to read about an interesting use of the SACD-1000, check the Hi Rez Highway at www.audioasylum.com/forum...85157.html

Apparently audio designer Ed Meitner has a board that goes into an SACD-1000 and that lets it drive one of Meitner's Pro Quality Multichannel DACs.

The result is said to be reference studio quality sound. Although the reviewer only has run the unit in 2 Channel Mode to date, even though the combo is capable of full 6 channel playback.

This is a product worth watching.

I'd be more comfortable with more direct comparisons to one-piece multichannel SACD players, since the essential difference is the onboard DAC of the one-piece player vs. the outboard DAC that Meitner offers.

Also, aren't we hearing about a similar "propietary" digital output for the Pioneer Swiss-Army Knife Player, fed into a Pioneer Receiver? I'd like to hear that compared to this two piece system.

Nick

Well, the article was written by Philip O'Hanlon - the US rep for the Halcro Hi End Amps. When demonstrating those amps in the past with SACD discs, he has used top of the line SACD players from Sony, Marantz and Accuphase.

Via email, he tells me that the Meitner beats all of the very high end SACD players. If that's the case, I doubt the Pioneer SACD player (or other consumer players) would stand much of a chance in such a comparison.

But then again, the Meitner transport + DAC is designed for recording studio, mastering studio and QC work. Some audiophiles may want SACD playback quality at that level, but I doubt it will appeal to everyone. Still, an interesting SACD playback option to have.

Back