The Monkees Revisit "Headquarters" With 55th Anniversary Box Set

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5.1 4 Life

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Info from The SecondDisc.com-
55 years ago, The Monkees took part in what TV Guide deemed to be "the Great Revolt of '67." Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, Michael Nesmith, and Peter Tork demanded creative control from impresario Don Kirshner - and won it. The group might have been brought together as actors portraying a band, but they were ready to build upon their phenomenal success and become that band in reality, too. The Headquarters album, The Monkees' third, was the startling result. It became their third consecutive No. 1 album in less than one year, and within two months of release had earned a Platinum sales certification in the U.S. for sales of more than two million copies. Now, that seminal album displaying The Monkees' hard-won creative freedom is being reissued as a deluxe 4CD/1-7" single box set from Rhino Records.

The November 18 release, exclusively through Monkees.com, serves as a teaser for Micky Dolenz's upcoming solo tour. Rhino's 55th anniversary box set boasts a whopping 101 tracks, of which 69 are previously unreleased. The never-before-heard material includes an all-new remix of the album from the original multitrack tapes as well as the debut of backing tracks made for the abortive Don Kirshner version of the album, early demos, and even some recordings which wouldn't be completed until the release of The Monkees' final studio album, Good Times!, in 2016. The box is limited to just 4,000 copies worldwide.

Read full article (including track listings) here-

https://theseconddisc.com/2022/11/0...VXHQSHlbFyO-3SvCZw-IX8jxQaG7weuE6zbllg29lLg2g

“The never-before-heard material includes the original multitrack tapes provided so that listeners can produce their own “fan” surround remixes”

Or something like that is what I got out of it…….

Interesting.

4 years ago, I bought a 10 CD set with all of the 9 Monkees albums and a CD with their singles that never were on an album.

I also have 6 LPs and some 45s.

There was a 45 with "The Girl that I knew Somewhere" and "A Little Bit Me, a Little Bit You" my cousin had.

Have you noticed how many Neil Diamond songs they did?

Teeny-bopper is our newborn queen, uh-huh!

Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 10.48.19 AM.png

Mickey "Nesmith" at Monterey Pop '67

Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 10.49.19 AM.png

For various off topic reasons starting with a chipmunk my brain has been locked in a Monkees-Nesmith-Monkees loop for the last couple of weeks. One of the reasons is re-discovering what I think is a quite good Monkees documentary several years old. I really enjoyed watching it a second time. Much is said about the music & development of the Headquarters album. It's worth checking out & if your undecided about getting the new collection this should have you racing to order by the time it's done. I know it did me.

Many thanks @5.1 4 Life for the post!

Well, at least I have “Elephanr Parts” on laserdisc.
Indeed! I have Elephant Parts on LD & DVD. They look identical no doubt sourced from the same interlaced composite video. I also have Dr Duck's Super Secret All Purpose Sauce & Live at the Britt Festival on LD only. Some of my most cherished media. Ripped to my PC, of course.

Interesting article with Micky Dolenz about keeping the spirit of The Monkees alive:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/micky-dolenz-monkees-on-keeping-the-music-alive/

Headquarters is probably my favorite Monkees album. Other than Mickey's somewhat elementary drumming (not a criticism, just noting the place he was at during this time) it was quite nice. Listened to it more than all their other stuff combined. It was a strange place for me to be in as it wasn't cool at the time to like the Monkees. The fact that they were covering material from so many very good writers made it hard to dismiss them. AND Nesmith's stuff was excellent.

Back