The Music of Japan.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of tunes from

Sayuri Ishikawa:

Amagi-goe
(
Walk Over Amagi Pass)

Tsugaru Kaikyō Fuyugeshiki
(Tsugaru Strait - Winter Scene)

I'm having a blast with this thread. I've at least sampled and watched most of the music videos all the way through. As you are living in Japan I am always curious to see what you will share next.

Lately I've been following a talent named Maria Suzuki. Now there's already a well known performer by that name doing anime voice over & solo artist after leaving AKB 48. Not her. This Maria Suzuki:

1649551105770.png

She seems to be an accomplished studio musician and up coming stage performer. I don't think any CD's or solo performances yet. But I've seen her on stage doing lead guitar and I think she is amazing. Enjoy her speed & dexterity doing some Van Halen:

Probably folks on the forum that are musicians will appreciate this even more than me.

So if you run across any news or releases from her I would sure like to know.

Domo!

I'm having a blast with this thread. I've at least sampled and watched most of the music videos all the way through. As you are living in Japan I am always curious to see what you will share next.

She seems to be an accomplished studio musician and up coming stage performer. I don't think any CD's or solo performances yet. But I've seen her on stage doing lead guitar and I think she is amazing. Enjoy her speed & dexterity doing some Van Halen:

Probably folks on the forum that are musicians will appreciate this even more than me.

So if you run across any news or releases from her I would sure like to know.

Domo!

I did a quick search and on her Twitter account it says she is having some concerts in Aichi and Kyoto. But actually, there isn’t a lot of current information online, perhaps because live concerts have been scaled back here these past couple of years. I‘ll let you know if something interesting comes up.

Last edited:
I have a video of Miku doing the run in The Wizard of Speed and Time.

Holy Moly Mr. Midi
I found it:

What big fun for a Sunday morning. Thanks for the tip.

For those unfamiliar with Mike Jittlov's feature film, The Wizard of Speed and Time here's the clip that inspired Miku to run so fast:

The quality is not great & a bit dark but it shows a great example of low tech creativity.

Holy Moly Mr. Midi
I found it:

What big fun for a Sunday morning. Thanks for the tip.

For those unfamiliar with Mike Jittlov's feature film, The Wizard of Speed and Time here's the clip that inspired Miku to run so fast:

The quality is not great & a bit dark but it shows a great example of low tech creativity.

Haha, I thought MidiMagic was just yanking your chain, but they actually did it! That was awesome!!

Hilarious!

Arrived today from CDJapan and all I can say is WOW ...... WOW! 3 hybrid Stereo SACDs, superbly recorded and 2 BD~Vs [Stereo only]
Over 6 hours of sheer delight with NO FILLER. The Jeff Beck of Japan? ... you be the judge!

SACD 1: The Rainbow Goblins
SACD 2: The White Goblin
SACD 3: LIVE at Budokan
BD~V 1: The Rainbow Goblins Story [52 minutes]
BD~V 2: Tour '97 [over 2 hours]

Arrived today from CDJapan and all I can say is WOW ...... WOW! 3 hybrid Stereo SACDs, superbly recorded and 2 BD~Vs [Stereo only]
Over 6 hours of sheer delight with NO FILLER. The Jeff Beck of Japan? ... you be the judge!
Got mine yesterday too! Haven’t been able to dive in yet, but what a beautiful package. It didn’t exist on Discogs, so I remedied that, if it’s of help:

https://www.discogs.com/release/228...w-Goblins-Box-40th-Anniversary-Deluxe-Edition

Jiro Inagaki & Soul Media - Funky Stuff

Funky and jazzy... always a good combination. I had never heard of Jiro Inagaki before it seems he was very prolific, the 70's being his highest output. There's a bunch of his music on YT worth listening to.

The Japanese it seems have a special appreciation for jazz. I grew around friends of my parents such as Jay McShann, Step Buddy Anderson & Claude "Fiddler" Williams. Even this local talent was loved in Japan & they toured there multiple times.

It's worth remembering the JVC Jazz Festival. JVC was the major sponsor & I'm not sure if it ever occurred in Japan but was best known as happening in Newport RI. I'm also not sure if it had much in the way of Japanese musicians but the occasional album release's I've heard of featured some astonishing collection of Western talent.

So even tho JVC dropped sponsorship quite a long time ago, they also continued it for a very long time. Just another example of Japan's passion for jazz & why so much good jazzy/funky music has come from that country.

Back