The Music of Japan.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the 80s, there was no bigger J-pop idol bigger than Seiko Matsuda. "The 9th Wave" is my favorite album of hers....

23078281332_21734787a3_w.jpg

Available in multichannel SACD from SONY Japan [a DSD Recording]

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=1953

There is an annual Japanese Festival (cancelled the last two years) that I always attend. Taiko drum performance is always included. I've seen and heard some presentation by Denver Taiko & another group from St Louis keeps coming back. The rythim can be mesmerising, the stage inetrplay of the musicians is good to watch, and THE SOUND! The bass, the impact of sound waves hitting your chest. Now I've got a pretty good audio set up but listening to something live like this I realize I could never come close to replicating this. Jethro Tull: Locomotive Breath like a live performance? Sure. Taiko drums? Never.

AWESOME SAUCE!!!
REALLY ENJOYED THIS!!!!
One of the most original things I have ever seen...LOOOVE those crazy Japanese!!!!
I got a kick out of this one, too. These old dudes can still rock. The bass player is really getting into the groove, isn’t he! He kind of reminds me of Uncle Fester. LOL!!

I got a kick out of this one, too. These old dudes can still rock. The bass player is really getting into the groove, isn’t he! He kind of reminds me of Uncle Fester. LOL!!
Ninjen Isu... again another band I've never heard of. And I thought the same thing about Uncle Fester too when I saw it! I just played it a 2nd time in the Basement & it sounds good enough I should probably find something better then YT for them. Er, ah, dynamic range not so hot....:LOL:

It reminded me of some other rock old timers that at in the earlier years were as loud and nasty as Ninjen Isu. Then as time went on they evolved and over the depth of their career there's got to be something as metal or as ballady as you might ever want. I am, of course, referring to X Japan!

1650315060465.png

My 1st impression of them was KISS wanabees. But they grew on me & offered more than just the crazy visual kei element. And they still be around. I know they played at Coachella in 2019. Their appearance has toned down a bit today but they still look pretty 'friggin intense.

Their song Endless Rain is perhaps their best well known, some consider it up there with other rock masterpieces. Rolling Stone called it "November Rain with out the bullshit". Now I'm also a big big fan of the G N' R song so I will call it a tie. You can make up your own mind.

Last edited:
Pink Lady - UFO

If your like me & first discovered Pink Lady on TV with Jeff.... well that's a shame. I dismissed this as a bizarre concoction to compete with Tony Orlando & Dawn. But PL has a great history. Despite the popularity of Utada in Japan & her expected acceptance in America, she never cracked the Top 40. Who did? Pink Lady!

I about blasted out of my chair when I heard the song UFO. The first time I heard this and before today the only way, was on a Chisato Moritaka BLU-ray release performed Live at the NHK:

1650322570209.png

It seems that PL was a heavy influence on her & I read one of her dreams was to perform live with some of their music. Success!

Technically the video for 1990 is astounding. It was taped in a NHK prototype high def system that was created by using 4 standard def imaging tubes, and individual optical systems for each one. They were both optically & electronically converged into a HD signal (composite? Component?) It blends seamlessly & as crisp & clear as anything done today. Nope I can't find anything from this performance online. The production value is excellent and still available at the usual places.

But back to Pink Lady... Thanks for the post. What a great surprise.

Last edited:
Just putting the finishing touches on this Tokyo Cuban Boys Quad LP conversion from 1971.
- Columbia QB-9002 / 4-Channels QX Master Sonic

- This absolutely SMOKES!!!

View attachment 78050
Oh this reminds me of the "Orquesta del Sol", a bunch of great japanese musicians playing SALSA and singing it phonetically...they were quite big during the late 80s and early 90s but, of course , in SALSA you have to know how to SONEAR (improvise in SPANISH, which , of course , they couldn't, but hey, it was a curious act for a while!)

Just putting the finishing touches on this Tokyo Cuban Boys Quad LP conversion from 1971.
- Columbia QB-9002 / 4-Channels QX Master Sonic

- This absolutely SMOKES!!!

View attachment 78050
More familiar with the name of the band than the music. But spent the last 45 mins on YT checking out the latter. Loved so much and the stereo seems close to Enoch Light extravagance. Put me on your mailing list.

Ninjen Isu... again another band I've never heard of. And I thought the same thing about Uncle Fester too when I saw it! I just played it a 2nd time in the Basement & it sounds good enough I should probably find something better then YT for them. Er, ah, dynamic range not so hot....:LOL:

It reminded me of some other rock old timers that at in the earlier years were as loud and nasty as Ninjen Isu. Then as time went on they evolved and over the depth of their career there's got to be something as metal or as ballady as you might ever want. I am, of course, referring to X Japan!

View attachment 78042

My 1st impression of them was KISS wanabees. But they grew on me & offered more than just the crazy visual kei element. And they still be around. I know they played at Coachella in 2019. Their appearance has toned down a bit today but they still look pretty 'friggin intense.

Their song Endless Rain is perhaps their best well known, some consider it up there with other rock masterpieces. Rolling Stone called it "November Rain with out the bullshit". Now I'm also a big big fan of the G N' R song so I will call it a tie. You can make up your own mind.

X or X JAPAN were a sensation back in the late 80s and 90s. They had plenty of ups and downs. Their sudden break up and Hide‘s tragic death shocked so many here. I still remember that. Sad time. Yoshiki is a regular on TV here, often with Gackt. He is a very quiet, gentle person. I believe he lives in Los Angeles.

If your like me & first discovered Pink Lady on TV with Jeff.... well that's a shame. I dismissed this as a bizarre concoction to compete with Tony Orlando & Dawn. But PL has a great history. Despite the popularity of Utada in Japan & her expected acceptance in America, she never cracked the Top 40. Who did? Pink Lady!

I about blasted out of my chair when I heard the song UFO. The first time I heard this and before today the only way, was on a Chisato Moritaka BLU-ray release performed Live at the NHK:

View attachment 78052

It seems that PL was a heavy influence on her & I read one of her dreams was to perform live with some of their music. Success!

Technically the video for 1990 is astounding. It was taped in a NHK prototype high def system that was created by using 4 standard def imaging tubes, and individual optical systems for each one. They were both optically & electronically converged into a HD signal (composite? Component?) It blends seamlessly & as crisp & clear as anything done today. Nope I can't find anything from this performance online. The production value is excellent and still available at the usual places.

But back to Pink Lady... Thanks for the post. What a great surprise.
Pink Lady have a special place in the hearts of many people here. Every time I go to Karaoke, a couple of women always get up and sing one of their songs. And another Karaoke favorite that I would be remiss not to mentioned are Candies. They are right up their with Pink Lady and much beloved here.

Back