The Music of Japan.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While others elsewhere venting why they hate the Grammy's so much, I have different take on it. Firstly I don't have much caring who is/isn't nominated or who does/doesn't win something. Since I seem to be caught mostly in a loop of J Pop & niche surround sound stuff, this show is like an annual Readers Digest to me, a Cliff Note review of what happened in the music world that I probably missed.

We had a family get together last night so I missed the show. I was delighted to see this at breakfast:

https://japantoday.com/category/ent...cian-Takumi-wins-Grammy-for-best-global-album
Something that even Utada failed to do. A new artist to me, not J Pop but YATTA! I have fallen in love with what I've heard so far!

That's a little more upbeat than the title song Sakura from the Grammy winning album:

And last but not least making of that is pretty interesting:

I'm going to be diving deep into this artist. Now off to do some more research & shopping!

While others elsewhere venting why they hate the Grammy's so much, I have different take on it. Firstly I don't have much caring who is/isn't nominated or who does/doesn't win something. Since I seem to be caught mostly in a loop of J Pop & niche surround sound stuff, this show is like an annual Readers Digest to me, a Cliff Note review of what happened in the music world that I probably missed.

We had a family get together last night so I missed the show. I was delighted to see this at breakfast:

https://japantoday.com/category/ent...cian-Takumi-wins-Grammy-for-best-global-album
Something that even Utada failed to do. A new artist to me, not J Pop but YATTA! I have fallen in love with what I've heard so far!

That's a little more upbeat than the title song Sakura from the Grammy winning album:

I'm going to be diving deep into this artist. Now off to do some more research & shopping!

Totally love it also S-dubya!!! :love: You've really found a winner.

A nice lesson from our very own- Master of "The Geezers Paradox"

I liked it so I went looking to buy the album, only found mp3 files for sale on amazon! Not even on Far Side Music (UK Japanese Importer) or CD Japan

I liked it so I went looking to buy the album, only found mp3 files for sale on amazon! Not even on Far Side Music (UK Japanese Importer) or CD Japan
I didn't check Amazon but I did HD Tracks, no go. And Discogs says it's only available digital and they don't deal with that. Does someone here have Tidal or elsewhere they can check? I can download 720P MP3 from YouTube but I'd rather have something better. On the other hand I can stream YT from Oppo that will be higher quality. I'm giving that try tonight.

I noticed he was Grammy nominated earlier for doing work with Sly and Robbie for best reggae album. Go figure!

You know Apple Music - Spatial Audio has a whole section for J-Pop. I need to start going through that on my Apple 4K TV!

Thanks for the post & the chance to sample quite a bit. When Pandora & iTunes were at their peak I was not interested because I knew they wouldn't have what I was interested in. It looks like it has changed for the better. How does Spatial Audio sound through a Surround Master?

Oh, and can you search for Masa Takumi on Apple music?

Thanks for the post & the chance to sample quite a bit. When Pandora & iTunes were at their peak I was not interested because I knew they wouldn't have what I was interested in. It looks like it has changed for the better. How does Spatial Audio sound through a Surround Master?

Oh, and can you search for Masa Takumi on Apple music?
yup

I happen to enjoy Sumo which can be watched on NHK World Japan. Some years ago (not sure if they still air it) they had some filler pieces during the day called Blends. It was traditional instruments playing songs like Stairway To Heaven, Welcome to the Jungle, September, and this one by Jeff Beck.

Otherwise my Japanese music listening is more in the traditional vein. This is the first one I bought many years ago and still one I enjoy.

600x600bb.jpg

Disclaimer: When Disco reared its ugly head I hated everything about it. The music, the culture, the Gloria Vanderbilt sequined jeans. Well time & senility has mellowed me I guess as in the last several years I've grown to appreciate Donna Summer and so much more.

Now there's some TV commercial that uses Lipps Inc Funky Town, just a bit of it, and had me lusting for more. Much to my surprise high up in google results was something I never heard of before, a song by Namie Amuro:

Knee jerk reaction was, there oughtta be a law! But on 2nd & 3rd watch it's pretty damn good. Might have to seek out more of her stuff.

Disclaimer: When Disco reared its ugly head I hated everything about it. The music, the culture, the Gloria Vanderbilt sequined jeans. Well time & senility has mellowed me I guess as in the last several years I've grown to appreciate Donna Summer and so much more.

Now there's some TV commercial that uses Lipps Inc Funky Town, just a bit of it, and had me lusting for more. Much to my surprise high up in google results was something I never heard of before, a song by Namie Amuro:

Knee jerk reaction was, there oughtta be a law! But on 2nd & 3rd watch it's pretty damn good. Might have to seek out more of her stuff.

Yes, we can celebrate Namie Amuro, the ‘kogao’ girl from Okinawa who went on to become the J-pop Queen of the 90s.

Last edited:
Yes, we can celebrate Namie Amuro, the ‘kogao’ girl from Okinawa who went on to become the J-pop Queen of the 90s.

Thanks!!
I am quite familiar with her name. I've ran across it many times but never checked out her music. I'm under the impression she took over where Moritaka left off.

So much J Pop seems centered on kawaiiness and her music & video certainly rises above that.

The Yukihiro Takahashi 2021-2022 remasters are THE WORST remasters I have ever heard...all the dynamic range has been SUCKED OUT!
Anyway, here's a link to the song that prompted that comment. (Couldn't find an official link to the original mix, but there's unofficial uploads on YT.)

Thanks!!
I am quite familiar with her name. I've ran across it many times but never checked out her music. I'm under the impression she took over where Moritaka left off.

So much J Pop seems centered on kawaiiness and her music & video certainly rises above that.
Amuro-chan was incredibly popular in the 90s and to this day is revered as the Queen of J-pop by many in Japan. “Can You Celebrate” is another Karaoke favorite that I heard so often sung at parties. Her retIrement a couple of years ago was a big surprise and big news here.

Namie’s ex-husband, Sam (Masaharu Maruyama), was in another popular 90s band TRF.

90s J-pop had many wonderful bands. Another 90s popular diva is Miwa Yoshida from the band Dreams Come True.

Back