The OFFICIAL "How many times have you purchased DSOTM" Thread/Poll

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Select the formats that you have purchased DSOTM over the years

• Total voters
Original vinyl when released. Cassette after that. Half-speed mastered version on LP. Then the first CD release, then the annivesary releases, then the box set, then the 5.1, most recently the SACD edition.

And, like with King Crimson's Court of the Crimson King, I will buy it yet again for the 50th anniversary edition.

When I played the 5.1 BluRay version for an old friend, he said we should listen to the Alan Parsons Quad mix, as it was "angrier". More aggressive, more immediate. So we did, and he was right.

Later when AP was touring in New Jersey, I mentioned this to Alan and asked him why he thought that was the case. He laughed and said "becuase the label told me I had to have a Quad mix ready in two days!"

I think (and have always thought) that DSOTM is a perfect album, start to finish. There aren't many records in my collection that I can say that about.

Anyone else come across Dub Side of the Moon by the Reggae Allstars? Only stereo but it's good.

Yes, I remember approaching it with cynicism, but it's great! I seem to recall they were on the bill at some festival I was at one time too, and were fab then as well.

Original vinyl, US
Cassette
Remastered vinyl with poster, stickers, etc
CD, US
SACD
Immersion box

If we are really talking about the love of this album, we have to mention bootlegs and covers too:

Bootlegs:
Brain Damage- The Screaming Abdabs (there are so many more, but this is the one to hold a candle too)

Covers: any comments below are not on the quality of the recording unless stated, but rather on the listenability- I warn you that you have to LOVE DSOM to get through many of these.
DSOM purists- please feel free to RUN LIKE HELL from this post!

Many are just ok recordings, but musically it's intriguing to me the variation in musical styles and different feelings that can be conveyed from the same material. Most think of DSOM as a masterpiece work, but to the artists below, it's really just fresh clay...

Dub Side of the Moon- Easy Star All Stars (Reggae- great background jam)

Dubber Side of the Moon- Easy Star All Stars (more of the above- more production than the first outing. Toned down or tuned up, take your pick)

Return to the Dark Side of the Moon- Various Artists

Dark Side of the Moonshine- Poor Man's Whiskey (bluegrass fun)

The Moon Revisited- Various Artist (rock)

The Dark Side of the Mule- Govt Mule

Doom Side of the Moon- Doom Side of the Moon (which just gives me a "Spinal Tap" vibe, in the best way)

VSQ Master Series: Tribute to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon- Vitamin String Quartet (it's instrumental, it's VST, all good- take your vitamins!)

Dark Side of the Moon A Cappella- Dark Side of the Moon A Cappella (Voices on the Dark Side) (my least favorite- it's well done, but just makes me think "High School Musical" every time I hear it. The highlight is them all yelling "wake up" in front of Time - it's a cappella, so no alarm clocks...)

From the Dark Side of the Moon- Mary Fahl (another not a favorite interpretation, but an absolutely amazing recording)

The Not-So-Bright-Side of the Moon- The Squirrels (Vegas lounge rock, with punk asthetics and a Zappa sort of vibe)

and then there is this:
The Dark Side of the Moon-
The Flaming Lips and Stardeath and White Dwarfs with Henry Rollins and Peaches Doing The Dark Side of the Moon (it's exactly what it says it is).

Please let me know any decent ones that I'm missing!

Get them all, make a massive playlist, but move a genre each song, playing them in album order. Play it at your next get together or neighborhood BBQ and see how long it is before your guests or your spouse yells that it's the same album- I got away with almost 2h! Someone please beat my record!

Need to go- the Wizard of Oz is about to start and I need to make sure I hit play at the correct time, so the audio matches. 😂

Good list!

In addition to Jazz Side of the Moon on Chesky (spearheaded by organist Sam Yahel), which @Glenshoreham mentioned, there's also French guitarist Nguyên Lê's Celebrating the Dark Side of the Moon on ACT, with Mike Gibbs conducting the NDR Big Band. (More info here.) Yahel's album features a fairly immersive surround mix--for a Chesky production, anyway. Lê's CD sounds like a genuine Atmos mix when it's run through my AVR's Dolby Surround Upmixer DSP. I think these are both interesting takes on the original that also work well on their own. (And for the record: I think Mary Fahl's album is absolutely stunning!)

As for the poll itself: I've got a late 70s repress of the US vinyl and the 2003 Capitol SACD. At least those are the ones I bought and paid for. . . .

Last edited:
( Thanks for the likes and concern...we were 15yo and from a small town in Tasmania ( where Taz, The Tasmanian Devil comes from) and nothing ever happened like this in that place and time)
Anyway, before I fell down that rabbit hole I had meant to say I had the original EMI quad Lp ( which I sold later on and replaced with the same quad 5 years ago), a cd version, the 20th anniversary, the SACD, the Immersion set ( for the quad) and a copy in the Shine On box set.

Back