The OFFICIAL "How many times have you purchased DSOTM" Thread/Poll

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Select the formats that you have purchased DSOTM over the years

• Total voters
4. CDP 7 46001 2 Harvest (Blackface) Matrix: CP35-3017 12A1 (upper half of inner ring) CDP 7 46001 2 (lower half of inner ring) non-TO pressing, made in Japan for Europe

One of the very first CDs I ever bought! Listen closely to the final fadeout and you can hear how they got rid of the elevator music version of "Ticket to Ride" that's on some pressings, e.g., the Mobile Fidelity CD I forgot to list.

Also note that it has pre-emphasis but is only flagged in one of the two places, so not all software catches it.

Wow, I’ve only bought this 3 times... twice on cd, once blu-ray... one of the cds was the “Shine On” box... I love the way the spines of the cds combine on my shelf to show the cover of DSOTM! (Looks great next to my blinking “Pulse” light (got to change the battery every now and then, though!))

LP, 1992 special edition CD, Shine on CD, SACD and immersion edition (including the dead Blu-ray). I used to have it on cassette too, but I discarded it long ago.
Can we count all the bootlegs from different periods?

Now there's a stand alone reissue 5.1 SACD from Analog Productions coming (along with WYWH) so people now have a chance to get another physical version. (These were announced but have yet to emerge)

Well....... "I know I'm mad."

Lotz and lotz over thee years.

Chronological,

Canadian Capitol cassette , week of release .

and then went bingeworthy after that experience.

UK SQ QUAD LP (2)
Capitol Canada Q8
U.S.CD (might be SQ)
MOFI cassette
2nd CDN cassette
Electrola Cassette (German)
Works CDN CD , for the 2 SQ quad dsotm tracks
20th anniversary cd, UK
2003 SACD Capitol U.S. 5.1
DVDA Quad boot *
2003 SACD EMI UK 5.1
2003 SACD re-issue from Warner Bros. U.S. 5.1 (yes indeed a 5.1 SACD from Warner Bros.)

*this was the much reviewed copy which includes review from legit audio magazines-on line though.

I have seen a Microcassette version on eBay.
Obviously unofficial but it looked well done!

I considered upping my list but after looking at it decided I would not leave a digital trail for the wife to find. I am glad that I have been using Discogs for cataloging my collection........Oh.....wait a minute.........

Now I am in trouble but oh well, won't be the first time

CD, Album
Capitol Records - CDP 7 46001 2

CD, Album, Limited Edition, Remastered+
EMI - 0777 7 81479 2 3

CD, Album, Reissue, Remastered
Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab - UDCD 517, Harvest - UDCD 517

16xCD, Album, Reissue, Remastered+
EMI - 50999 511267 2 8, EMI - 511 2672

Album, LP, Reissue
Harvest - SMAS-11163

Album, LP, Reissue
Harvest - SMAS 11163, Harvest - SMAS-11163

Album, LP, Reissue
Capitol Records - SMAS-11163

Album, LP, Limited Edition, Reissue, Remastered
Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab - MFSL 1-017, Harvest - MFSL 1-017

Album, LP, Limited Edition, Reissue, Remastered
Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab - MFSL 1-017, Harvest - MFSL 1-017

Album, LP
Harvest - 2C 064-05249

Album, LP
Harvest - 2C 064-05249

Album, LP, Reissue
Harvest - EMLF-97002

Capitol Records - SEAX-11902, EMI - SEAX-11902

Album, LP, Quadraphonic
Harvest - SHVLQ 804

Album, LP, Quadraphonic
Harvest - Q4SHVL 804

Album, LP, Limited Edition, Quadraphonic, Reissue
Harvest - Q4 SHVLA.804

Box Set, Compilation, Remastered+
Columbia - CXK 53180

Box Set, Limited Edition+
EMI - 5 0999 029431 2 1

hmm
Random LP back in early '80's ( no longer own)
Random cd 1st issue
cd reissue
MFSl LP
30 anniversary LP
1st expanded 2 cd edition
SACD
yet another vinyl reissue
Immersion Box

Original LP (with posters and stickers)
Stereo 8-track
Original CD
MSFL CD
Shine On Box
SACD
original SACD developed a small crack int he center, bought another to make sure I'd have a good copy if the original failed.
Immersion Box

This posting thread indicates to me that I am among friends.
I did not keep track of the q8, reel to reel and LP purchases, but there were many.

As my equipment, newly purchased in the 70's, will eventually fail, what would be the best method to transfer and play these on modern equipment?

Original vinyl, US
Cassette
Remastered vinyl with poster, stickers, etc
CD, US
SACD
Immersion box

If we are really talking about the love of this album, we have to mention bootlegs and covers too:

Bootlegs:
Brain Damage- The Screaming Abdabs (there are so many more, but this is the one to hold a candle too)

Covers: any comments below are not on the quality of the recording unless stated, but rather on the listenability- I warn you that you have to LOVE DSOM to get through many of these.
DSOM purists- please feel free to RUN LIKE HELL from this post!

Many are just ok recordings, but musically it's intriguing to me the variation in musical styles and different feelings that can be conveyed from the same material. Most think of DSOM as a masterpiece work, but to the artists below, it's really just fresh clay...

Dub Side of the Moon- Easy Star All Stars (Reggae- great background jam)

Dubber Side of the Moon- Easy Star All Stars (more of the above- more production than the first outing. Toned down or tuned up, take your pick)

Return to the Dark Side of the Moon- Various Artists

Dark Side of the Moonshine- Poor Man's Whiskey (bluegrass fun)

The Moon Revisited- Various Artist (rock)

The Dark Side of the Mule- Govt Mule

Doom Side of the Moon- Doom Side of the Moon (which just gives me a "Spinal Tap" vibe, in the best way)

VSQ Master Series: Tribute to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon- Vitamin String Quartet (it's instrumental, it's VST, all good- take your vitamins!)

Dark Side of the Moon A Cappella- Dark Side of the Moon A Cappella (Voices on the Dark Side) (my least favorite- it's well done, but just makes me think "High School Musical" every time I hear it. The highlight is them all yelling "wake up" in front of Time - it's a cappella, so no alarm clocks...)

From the Dark Side of the Moon- Mary Fahl (another not a favorite interpretation, but an absolutely amazing recording)

The Not-So-Bright-Side of the Moon- The Squirrels (Vegas lounge rock, with punk asthetics and a Zappa sort of vibe)

and then there is this:
The Dark Side of the Moon-
The Flaming Lips and Stardeath and White Dwarfs with Henry Rollins and Peaches Doing The Dark Side of the Moon (it's exactly what it says it is).

Please let me know any decent ones that I'm missing!

Get them all, make a massive playlist, but move a genre each song, playing them in album order. Play it at your next get together or neighborhood BBQ and see how long it is before your guests or your spouse yells that it's the same album- I got away with almost 2h! Someone please beat my record!

Need to go- the Wizard of Oz is about to start and I need to make sure I hit play at the correct time, so the audio matches. 😂

One of my all time favorite albums so:

US stereo LP

Harvest Japan CD black label

MFSL Ultradisc CD

20th anniversary CD box

Capitol SACD

Immersion box

Last edited:
Back