The OFFICIAL "How many times have you purchased DSOTM" Thread/Poll

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Select the formats that you have purchased DSOTM over the years

• Total voters
1985 CD x 2 (one broke)

1992 20th anniversary cd in cardboard with cards etc (Australia) x 2 (inherited one) - also known as the XX edition, at least around here.

2003 Hybrid SACD

Immersion box set

And recently I picked up the EPIC 8 track stereo edition still with cardboard sleeve at an auction for 10 bucks. Don't have a player yet, but I'm working on it. I'm super keen to listen to surround sound from an 8 track just because I can.

Discogs has over 1000 different editions and releases alone for DSOTM, so we all have a bit of a ways to go.

I'm still aiming to get a couple of the quad vinyl releases, including the 2017 Australian one.

Edit: I do have an SQ vinyl and a stereo vinyl, but I didn't buy those, they were inherited.

Covers: any comments below are not on the quality of the recording unless stated, but rather on the listenability- I warn you that you have to LOVE DSOM to get through many of these.
DSOM purists- please feel free to RUN LIKE HELL from this post!

Many are just ok recordings, but musically it's intriguing to me the variation in musical styles and different feelings that can be conveyed from the same material. Most think of DSOM as a masterpiece work, but to the artists below, it's really just fresh clay...

Dub Side of the Moon- Easy Star All Stars (Reggae- great background jam)

Dubber Side of the Moon- Easy Star All Stars (more of the above- more production than the first outing. Toned down or tuned up, take your pick)

Return to the Dark Side of the Moon- Various Artists

Dark Side of the Moonshine- Poor Man's Whiskey (bluegrass fun)

The Moon Revisited- Various Artist (rock)

The Dark Side of the Mule- Govt Mule

Doom Side of the Moon- Doom Side of the Moon (which just gives me a "Spinal Tap" vibe, in the best way)

VSQ Master Series: Tribute to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon- Vitamin String Quartet (it's instrumental, it's VST, all good- take your vitamins!)

Dark Side of the Moon A Cappella- Dark Side of the Moon A Cappella (Voices on the Dark Side) (my least favorite- it's well done, but just makes me think "High School Musical" every time I hear it. The highlight is them all yelling "wake up" in front of Time - it's a cappella, so no alarm clocks...)

From the Dark Side of the Moon- Mary Fahl (another not a favorite interpretation, but an absolutely amazing recording)

The Not-So-Bright-Side of the Moon- The Squirrels (Vegas lounge rock, with punk asthetics and a Zappa sort of vibe)

and then there is this:
The Dark Side of the Moon-
The Flaming Lips and Stardeath and White Dwarfs with Henry Rollins and Peaches Doing The Dark Side of the Moon (it's exactly what it says it is).

Please let me know any decent ones that I'm missing!

I bought this hybrid SACD from Chesky. As it's jazz, it may not be your cup of tea. ;) Thought I'd mention it, though, as it's a surround release. I still need to check out Mary Fahl's album.

The Immersion BDA Quad mix is my ‘go to’

I had the original LP but didn’t vote for it as it was an NZ pressing (I think. I bought it there). I bought the Immersion, SACD and CD.

Twice first on SACD then in the immersion box set the same with wish you were here, I also ordered the wall immersion set as well and then cancelled it when I found out it was only in stereo.

I bought this hybrid SACD from Chesky. As it's jazz, it may not be your cup of tea. ;) Thought I'd mention it, though, as it's a surround release. I still need to check out Mary Fahl's album.

How did I miss that one? And it is still available new for under $20 on Amazon. Ordered, arrives tomorrow! 💸+ 🚚+💿 ⃤=:phones Thanks for the heads up!

Purchased Pink Floyd's The Dark Side Of The Moon four times: Capitol LP in 1976, Mobile Fidelity LP in 1983, 20th Anniversary CD 1993 & Capitol SACD 2003. The SACD with the 5.1 mix is my go-to version of this classic album.

Didn't realize I had so many DSOTM's lying around the house. My capitol xdr cassette had the sticky tape problem.First time i heard DSOTM was the vinyl edition at a party and everyone was going crazy over it. I like it but never thought it was that good. I like the wall and WYWH better.

Last edited:
This posting thread indicates to me that I am among friends.
I did not keep track of the q8, reel to reel and LP purchases, but there were many.

As my equipment, newly purchased in the 70's, will eventually fail, what would be the best method to transfer and play these on modern equipment?
It turns out I was gifted a Behringer 404 HD and it works well. With Reaper it has handled many tapes and 8-tracks. Now to figure out how to play them in an automobile.

Several (I don't recall how many, but many) Q8's, we used to play it all night long as we slept.....thus wearing out so many....the SACD as well...of course I have Alan's version but I did not pay for it as it wasn't for sale. It was a two week download on a dial-up ISP, and I viewed it as manna from heaven at the time and I still hold it in high regard.
What else. Swapped for the BD if I remember correctly, which crashed and burned after I ripped it. I gave it a proper burial.

Under a handful of times…. If and when it gets an Atmos release then maybe…just not my fav LP of theirs….bring on Amimals/Meddle/Wish & Piper in Atmos

I'm wondering how many here commenting listened to the "old quad" in whatever format when it came out. Not knocking anyone's music choice at all...but I'd be almost willing to bet real ham sammiches that the older crowd values DSOTM more. Yes? No?
Even in the older crowd, our music choices morph over time...I know mine have. 1973 I was still relatively young, I guess, and it's true today I whip out DSOTM only occasionally. But I wouldn't be without it.
When I saw them the one and only time in concert live at Tampa Stadium, I was absolutely blown away....and they did what? I'm thinking only two tunes from dark side, as encores. I confess Animals with the quad PA's set around the stadium thrilled me to hear "dogs" circle the stadium. Great crowd, too. What? It's my memories and I'll keep them right or wrong. lol.

For some reason, my first purchase of this LP wasn't until '79 (still have the two posters). Before that, I had an eight track that someone left in my car. Then I bought the CD, then the Shine On box set, then the Capitol SACD, and then the Immersion box set. I think that's it. I'm pretty sure there's one or two albums that I've bought even more times than this one.

DSOTM does well when I do my occasional outdoor 8 track concert. But what really gets the ladies going is Moody Blues Days of Futures Past. Seems like it was required listening in college when it came out.

Back