The Oldie That You Are Listening To Now Might Not Be The Hit That You Remember

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

par4ken

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
This is a topic that rather intrigues me. Two similar but related topics actually. Many of your favourite songs that are commonly played on your favourite oldie or classic rock station might not actually be the version that you were most often listening to in the past. In some cases a record was a hit for more than one group at the same time. Did you even know the difference. Other times a record would reappear at a latter date but by a different artist, sounding so close to the other version that we tend to get them confused.

The “House of the Rising Sun” was a number one hit for The Animals in 1964. For the longest time I had the false memory of it being re-released and becoming a hit again in 1968 but It was actually 1970 and this time a different artist. Frijid Pink distinguished by really fuzzed up guitars. It reached number three in Canada.

My second example is one that I mentioned before "Cecilia" by Simon and Garfunkel, actually shared the same chart position with Sweet Henry. I can find nothing online about Sweet Henry but CKRC played both versions alternately. I seem to remember them saying that the group was from (or perhaps they moved from) Sweden. The group must have had a Canadian connection as they also appeared in the “Canada Top Five” hit list, on the same chart.

"Big Yellow Taxi" was a big hit for Joni Mitchell and that is the version usually remembered but it was also a hit for The Neighborhood. The Neighborhood version appeared on the oddly named compilation LP “20 Chartstoppers Vol 1"(there never was a Vol 2).

"Cinnamon Girl" was a big hit for Neil Young (Crazy Horse) and is the version we all seem to remember but was also a hit for "The Gentrys" . The Gentrys version was featured on the pre K-Tel album "20 Explosive Hits By 20 Original Stars".

Both "Cinnamon Girl" and "Cecilia" are listed in this CKRC "Young at Heart Chart" June 19th to June 26th 1970 at #14 & #21 respectively.

CKRC Cinamon Girl Ceclia.jpg

Likewise everyone is familiar with “Woodstock” by CSNY but the more commonly heard radio hit was by Matthews' Southern Comfort. My own 45 is in terrible shape and I find that no album was released with that track on it. There is a “Best of” on Apple music with the track but I have absolutely no interest in streaming!
It can however be found on the CD "Super Hits Of The '70s - Have A Nice Day, Vol. 4".

A less known hit was "Neanderthal Man" by Hotlegs but there was also a similar version by The Idle Race both share a chart position on CKRC #12 on this chart from Oct 7th to Oct 9th 1971.

CKRC Neaderthal Man #12.jpg

Another real oddity was "Fuddle Duddle" by both Antique Fair and "Do The Fuddle Duddle" by The House Of Commons. They weren't even the same song but shared a chart position on CKRC. Both were a humorous take on an incident in 1971 in the Canadian House of Commons when then PM Trudeau mouthed the words "F*** Off" obviously causing an outrage. In his defence Pierre Trudeau rather lamely claimed that what he actually said was "Fuddle Duddle". The "House of Commons" version contains impersonations of Richard Nixon and Ed Sullivan. Both chart together at #37 on March 19-26 1971.

CKRC FuddleDuddle.jpg

One other oddity from that chart is that Tom Jones "She's a Lady"is shown as Canadian. I guess that is because it was written by Canadian Paul Anka? Chilliwack who are Canadian got missed as being marked as such.

I'm intrigued by songs that have been covered multiple times, and charted by different artists.

"Please Mr. Postman" first charted by The Marvelettes (1961), then The Beatles (1963), then The Carpenters (1975).
"The Loco-Motion" first charted by Little Eva (1962), then Grand Funk (1974), then Kylie Minogue (1988).
Johnny Bond and Charlie Ryan both had hits with "Hot Rod Lincoln" in 1960, then Commander Cody charted it in 1972.

This is a topic that rather intrigues me. Two similar but related topics actually. Many of your favourite songs that are commonly played on your favourite oldie or classic rock station might not actually be the version that you were most often listening to in the past. In some cases a record was a hit for more than one group at the same time. Did you even know the difference. Other times a record would reappear at a latter date but by a different artist, sounding so close to the other version that we tend to get them confused.

The “House of the Rising Sun” was a number one hit for The Animals in 1964. For the longest time I had the false memory of it being re-released and becoming a hit again in 1968 but It was actually 1970 and this time a different artist. Frijid Pink distinguished by really fuzzed up guitars. It reached number three in Canada.

My second example is one that I mentioned before "Cecilia" by Simon and Garfunkel, actually shared the same chart position with Sweet Henry. I can find nothing online about Sweet Henry but CKRC played both versions alternately. I seem to remember them saying that the group was from (or perhaps they moved from) Sweden. The group must have had a Canadian connection as they also appeared in the “Canada Top Five” hit list, on the same chart.

"Big Yellow Taxi" was a big hit for Joni Mitchell and that is the version usually remembered but it was also a hit for The Neighborhood. The Neighborhood version appeared on the oddly named compilation LP “20 Chartstoppers Vol 1"(there never was a Vol 2).

"Cinnamon Girl" was a big hit for Neil Young (Crazy Horse) and is the version we all seem to remember but was also a hit for "The Gentrys" . The Gentrys version was featured on the pre K-Tel album "20 Explosive Hits By 20 Original Stars".

Both "Cinnamon Girl" and "Cecilia" are listed in this CKRC "Young at Heart Chart" June 19th to June 26th 1970 at #14 & #21 respectively.

View attachment 90323

Likewise everyone is familiar with “Woodstock” by CSNY but the more commonly heard radio hit was by Matthews' Southern Comfort. My own 45 is in terrible shape and I find that no album was released with that track on it. There is a “Best of” on Apple music with the track but I have absolutely no interest in streaming!
It can however be found on the CD "Super Hits Of The '70s - Have A Nice Day, Vol. 4".

A less known hit was "Neanderthal Man" by Hotlegs but there was also a similar version by The Idle Race both share a chart position on CKRC #12 on this chart from Oct 7th to Oct 9th 1971.

View attachment 90324

Another real oddity was "Fuddle Duddle" by both Antique Fair and "Do The Fuddle Duddle" by The House Of Commons. They weren't even the same song but shared a chart position on CKRC. Both were a humorous take on an incident in 1971 in the Canadian House of Commons when then PM Trudeau mouthed the words "F*** Off" obviously causing an outrage. In his defence Pierre Trudeau rather lamely claimed that what he actually said was "Fuddle Duddle". The "House of Commons" version contains impersonations of Richard Nixon and Ed Sullivan. Both chart together at #37 on March 19-26 1971.

View attachment 90325
One other oddity from that chart is that Tom Jones "She's a Lady"is shown as Canadian. I guess that is because it was written by Canadian Paul Anka? Chilliwack who are Canadian got missed as being marked as such.

Excellent thread idea!

I believe this was a common occurence in Canada in the 60's and 70's for Canadian aritsts to record close interpretations of hit songs. It happened to two other songs thatI'm aware of.

The first one is Theme from S.W.A.T.

From Wikipedia:

"Theme from S.W.A.T." is an instrumental song written by Barry De Vorzon and performed by American funk group Rhythm Heritage, released on their debut album Disco-Fied. It reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in the United States on the chart date of February 28, 1976 and number one on the RPM pop chart.

In Canada, the THP Orchestra's disco version of the song reached number one on the RPM pop chart the same year as the US version.

I grew up listening to the THP Orchestra's version and was later surprised to discover that it was not the original hit version. I do enjoy both versions tremendously though I have a soft spot for the Canadian cover version. I love the additional rhythm guitar, synthetizers and sound effects.

Last edited:
The second song I know of to receive this treatment was John Paul Young's Love Is In The Air from 1977.

From Wikipedia:

"Love Is in the Air" is a 1977 disco song by Australian singer John Paul Young. It was written by George Young (no relation) and Harry Vanda, and released as the lead single from Young's fourth studio album, Love Is in the Air (1978). The song became a worldwide hit in 1978, peaking at No. 3 on the Australian charts and No. 5 in the UK Singles Chart. In the United States, it peaked at No. 7 on the pop chart and spent two weeks at No. 1 on the Adult Contemporary chart, his only US top 40 hit.

In Canada, Young's recording of "Love Is in the Air" performed significantly more poorly on the charts than in most other countries, due to the existence of a contemporaneous version of the song by Canadian singer Martin Stevens. Stevens had received Young's demo recording, and recorded a version of the song for his 1978 album, before Young's song was released.

Stevens' version debuted on the Canadian charts in July 1978, and had already reached #21 by September 9, the week Young's version debuted. The two versions appear to have cut into each other's chart momentum thereafter, with Stevens' version peaking at #19 a few weeks later before declining on the charts, while Young's peaked at #26 two weeks later. In the year-end RPM charts for 1978, Stevens' version ranked #137 and Young's ranked #195. Stevens' version of the song was a Juno Award nominee for Best Selling Single at the Juno Awards of 1979.

I've only realized this year that Stevens' version was not the original. Both tracks are solid. I've always found a close similarity between this song and the theme from The Love Boat. The chord progression is quite close. I'm also quite fond of that track, which was performed by Jack Jones.

Last edited:
Back