The Oppo 103

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy Robinson

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I have seen various threads discussing the capabilities of the 103 (and 105) but I am not sure if a definitive answer has ever been posted regarding playing media from the USB port(s). As far as I am concerned it will play any audio or video (1080P or below) file from hard drives attached to it IN ITS ORIGINAL QUALITY. Currently I have 7 x 4TB = 28TB directly attached to it (with a USB 2.0 Hub) with all manner of partition sizes, folders and files. It navigates and plays everything without an issue. No other Oppo (except for the 105 and maybe the 203) is as versatile. In fact there is probably no other player or maybe even server that does this as well. Yes, there are no pretty pictures as it is a list structure but who cares. My Sony X800 4K player can only handle a 4TB drive that has a single partition. If you put 2 partitions on there it gets confused. Two or more drives attached also confuses it.

Here goes for the 103:

Blu-Rays - You can place the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders from the disc you own (after copy protection has been removed) into a AVCHD folder and it will play just like a Blu-Ray with menus etc. So while it won't play ISO's the result is exactly the same as doing that. Alternately you can rip to M2TS or mkv if you don't want the menu structure.
SACD's - Use the 103 to rip SACD's to DSD tracks and put them on the hard drive.
DVD-Audio - Rip to flac files
DVD - Extract VOB files as chapters and put them on the drive. If you don't want the chapters broken up you can make an mkv or MP4 from a DVD.
CD - flac conversion of course

That's it.

In fact there is probably no other player or maybe even server that does this as well.
Agreed. the 103 and the 105 are the "Swiss Army Knives" of disc players.

Yes, there are no pretty pictures as it is a list structure but who cares.
I do. Using the Oppo interface for more than one small drive is annoying and, imho, unacceptable. I'd rather use a real music app and play it through the Oppo.

Agreed. the 103 and the 105 are the "Swiss Army Knives" of disc players.

I do. Using the Oppo interface for more than one small drive is annoying and, imho, unacceptable. I'd rather use a real music app and play it through the Oppo.
Try 28TB. But I have no issues with it. It's all in the cataloging.

Agreed! I have a 105 & in addition to what you said it also flawlessly plays 5.1 FLAC. I have 1 3 TB HDD hooked up to it with all manner of folders, sub-folders & no problem navigating.

Yes, there are no pretty pictures as it is a list structure but who cares.

It is a list structure using the native file browser. But I have the oppo app on my Galaxy phone & the list is duplicated there and courtesy of Rhapsody it does give you a pretty picture. Is this what Kal was referring to?

Edit: I also highly value the built in YouTube, Netflix, VUDU, etc browsing capabilty. Keeps me from buying yet another box to hook up. These features were dropped in the newer 4k models.:cautious:

Try 28TB. But I have no issues with it. It's all in the cataloging.
I am but on a single NAS. Your memory and patience must exceed mine.
It is a list structure using the native file browser. But I have the oppo app on my Galaxy phone & the list is duplicated there and courtesy of Rhapsody it does give you a pretty picture. Is this what Kal was referring to?
Nope. I am referring to Jriver. I can use a nested-list structure, if I want to, but I have several other select/sort/display options with/without the pretty pictures.

While I also like accessing my music via directory structures, having 7 drives hooked in through a USB hub is a very clunky solution. But if it works for you then it doesn't matter.
Are those drives hefty size, externally powered, or USB powered, and are they thumb drives? Or a mix of types?

Agreed! I have a 105 & in addition to what you said it also flawlessly plays 5.1 FLAC. I have 1 3 TB HDD hooked up to it with all manner of folders, sub-folders & no problem navigating.

Edit: I also highly value the built in YouTube, Netflix, VUDU, etc browsing capabilty. Keeps me from buying yet another box to hook up. These features were dropped in the newer 4k models.:cautious:
Yeah, I was including the 5.1 flac rips under SACD and DVD-A Rips. I have a ton of these.

I also use the phone app periodically.

I use all those aps (youtube etc) directly on my 4K TV. Haven't used the Oppo for that for quite awhile. It's quite slow on those.

While I also like accessing my music via directory structures, having 7 drives hooked in through a USB hub is a very clunky solution. But if it works for you then it doesn't matter.
Well I have the drives arranged such as Blu-Ray Rock, Blu-Ray Classical, SACD Rock, SACD Classical. Video non-BD. Stuff like that. Then by artist. I find it quite elegant actually.

Are those drives hefty size, externally powered, or USB powered, and are they thumb drives? Or a mix of types?
Five are Western Digital My Book 4TB, powered. One is Seagate Backup Plus Hub 4TB, powered. Seventh is a small non powered Seagate Back-up plus Portable. I should also note that I have the same number of drives offline with a backup of what I have on my active drives in case I have a crash.

I am but on a single NAS. Your memory and patience must exceed mine.
Nope. I am referring to Jriver. I can use a nested-list structure, if I want to, but I have several other select/sort/display options with/without the pretty pictures.
Hey @Kal Rubinson , how does JRiver handle cover art for SACDs? The Oppos don't download any (they would be garbage anyway IMO.) I end up just scanning my own cover art (beautifully I might add) but it is time consuming.

I remember where everything is on it. People that come over are amazed. It takes seconds to access something and also while something is playing you can navigate to the next thing you want to play.
Well, if I had you around to help, I would not need superior player software.

Hey @Kal Rubinson , how does JRiver handle cover art for SACDs? The Oppos don't download any (they would be garbage anyway IMO.) I end up just scanning my own cover art (beautifully I might add) but it is time consuming.
Same as for all formats. It tries to download but I usually do my own search/selection. Scanning is too much work.

I have seen various threads discussing the capabilities of the 103 (and 105) but I am not sure if a definitive answer has ever been posted regarding playing media from the USB port(s). As far as I am concerned it will play any audio or video (1080P or below) file from hard drives attached to it IN ITS ORIGINAL QUALITY. Currently I have 7 x 4TB = 28TB directly attached to it (with a USB 2.0 Hub) with all manner of partition sizes, folders and files. It navigates and plays everything without an issue. No other Oppo (except for the 105 and maybe the 203) is as versatile. In fact there is probably no other player or maybe even server that does this as well. Yes, there are no pretty pictures as it is a list structure but who cares. My Sony X800 4K player can only handle a 4TB drive that has a single partition. If you put 2 partitions on there it gets confused. Two or more drives attached also confuses it.

Here goes for the 103:

Blu-Rays - You can place the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders from the disc you own (after copy protection has been removed) into a AVCHD folder and it will play just like a Blu-Ray with menus etc. So while it won't play ISO's the result is exactly the same as doing that. Alternately you can rip to M2TS or mkv if you don't want the menu structure.
SACD's - Use the 103 to rip SACD's to DSD tracks and put them on the hard drive.
DVD-Audio - Rip to flac files
DVD - Extract VOB files as chapters and put them on the drive. If you don't want the chapters broken up you can make an mkv or MP4 from a DVD.
CD - flac conversion of course

That's it.
Are you saying you’re using the 103 to rip SACDs? That’s the first I’ve heard of that capability.

There is also a firmware unlock hack/upgrade for the 103 out there to allow all the now forbidden formats, SACD-R, DVD ISO, BD ISO, as well as Cinavia ignore, region free, etc. Makes the 103/105 true universal players again.
Pops up now and again on ebay.

Back