The Oppo 103

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is also a firmware unlock hack/upgrade for the 103 out there to allow all the now forbidden formats, SACD-R, DVD ISO, BD ISO, as well as Cinavia ignore, region free, etc. Makes the 103/105 true universal players again.
Pops up now and again on ebay.
That's pretty cool I didn't know about that. Have you or anyone tried it? Does it also make it region free?

There is also a firmware unlock hack/upgrade for the 103 out there to allow all the now forbidden formats, SACD-R, DVD ISO, BD ISO, as well as Cinavia ignore, region free, etc. Makes the 103/105 true universal players again.
Pops up now and again on ebay.
The crack, or the cracked players turn up? I reported on this a while back, but have never found anyone around here that tried it.

Yes, I have a stock 205 and a firmware hacked 103 in my system. The hacked 103 firmware works exactly as advertised and is easy to revert back to stock. Just re-flash. You change regions by changing the language in the setup menu.
This is what it does:
Hack Chart.jpg

I have seen various threads discussing the capabilities of the 103 (and 105) but I am not sure if a definitive answer has ever been posted regarding playing media from the USB port(s). As far as I am concerned it will play any audio or video (1080P or below) file from hard drives attached to it IN ITS ORIGINAL QUALITY. Currently I have 7 x 4TB = 28TB directly attached to it (with a USB 2.0 Hub) with all manner of partition sizes, folders and files. It navigates and plays everything without an issue. No other Oppo (except for the 105 and maybe the 203) is as versatile. In fact there is probably no other player or maybe even server that does this as well. Yes, there are no pretty pictures as it is a list structure but who cares. My Sony X800 4K player can only handle a 4TB drive that has a single partition. If you put 2 partitions on there it gets confused. Two or more drives attached also confuses it.

Here goes for the 103:

Blu-Rays - You can place the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders from the disc you own (after copy protection has been removed) into a AVCHD folder and it will play just like a Blu-Ray with menus etc. So while it won't play ISO's the result is exactly the same as doing that. Alternately you can rip to M2TS or mkv if you don't want the menu structure.
SACD's - Use the 103 to rip SACD's to DSD tracks and put them on the hard drive.
DVD-Audio - Rip to flac files
DVD - Extract VOB files as chapters and put them on the drive. If you don't want the chapters broken up you can make an mkv or MP4 from a DVD.
CD - flac conversion of course

That's it.
I tried plugging my WD 2TB drives (one at at a time), into the front usb input on my Oppo 105D and got nothing - no sign of it even trying to search the drive(s).

These are powered drives. Is there something I’m supposed to do? I did reboot the player and unplug the drive and I switched to HDMI in, and back to USB and nothing.

Maybe I need the files to not be contained in an additional folder titled “music” on the drive titled “Rock A-D” ?

I tried plugging my WD 2TB drives (one at at a time), into the front usb input on my Oppo 105D and got nothing - no sign of it even trying to search the drive(s).

These are powered drives. Is there something I’m supposed to do? I did reboot the player and unplug the drive and I switched to HDMI in, and back to USB and nothing.

Maybe I need the files to not be contained in an additional folder titled “music” on the drive titled “Rock A-D” ?
I doubt its the file structure. Just a guess, but it could be the way they are formatted. Maybe the Oppo only recognizes certain formats. The manual should tell you what it will accept.

I doubt its the file structure. Just a guess, but it could be the way they are formatted. Maybe the Oppo only recognizes certain formats. The manual should tell you what it will accept.
Thanks but no, as my thumb drives work beautifully- and play FLAC, and various other stereo and surround formats perfectly.

I do wonder if I was supposed to sit and wait for 6 or 8 minutes for the player to get a grip on this rather large batch of files? I can now imagine that being an issue rather than my file types too obscure.

Thanks but no, as my thumb drives work beautifully- and play FLAC, and various other stereo and surround formats perfectly.

I do wonder if I was supposed to sit and wait for 6 or 8 minutes for the player to get a grip on this rather large batch of files? I can now imagine that being an issue rather than my file types too obscure.
Just a hunch, but I do believe reading about power limitations on the drives used; so check the specs for your Oppo and the offending drive 🤔

Just a hunch, but I do believe reading about power limitations on the drives used; so check the specs for your Oppo and the offending drive 🤔
Guy Robinson is using large drives - so then I should be able to - it’s not fair damn it.

I did notice something that I think is unrelated. Thumb drives that are USB3 perform better on my Oppo machines than do the USB2 drives. Even being that the Oppos I think are using USB2 connections. At least the 103 and 105 models are (correct me if I’m wrong on that).

Guy Robinson is using large drives - so then I should be able to - it’s not fair damn it.

I did notice something that I think is unrelated. Thumb drives that are USB3 perform better on my Oppo machines than do the USB2 drives. Even being that the Oppos I think are using USB2 connections. At least the 103 and 105 models are (correct me if I’m wrong on that).
Haven’t compared the two; I believe all my SSDs are USB3; but you could be right just due to some kind of modernized internal speed or architecture of the drive.

I don’t know what is going on in your case, but my Oppo 205 manual specifically states that USB drives can be formatted in FAT, FAT32, exFAT (my thumb drives are FAT32), or NTSF. My 1TB and 2TB drives are NTSF formatted and play just fine. Perhaps your large drives aren’t formatted to a system the 103 can read?

I tried plugging in another drive with some other formatting (don’t remember what offhand) and the 205 wouldn’t recognize it.

I think that they are NTSF, the format that handles the bigger files right, more so than FAT32.

I’ll read up on it, but I would rather it just work since my computers and JRiver plays its files just fine.

Just checking if you're using an HDD (the WD 2TB you mentioned) instead of an SSD with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapte...upport+UASP-20cm,+Black&qid=1571860401&sr=8-1
If that's the case maybe just try a different connector. I know it's a lot of work filling up one of these drives, and not having it work would be a major bummer.

Just checking if you're using an HDD (the WD 2TB you mentioned) instead of an SSD with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapte...upport+UASP-20cm,+Black&qid=1571860401&sr=8-1
If that's the case maybe just try a different connector. I know it's a lot of work filling up one of these drives, and not having it work would be a major bummer.
It’s an older Elements WD HDD. And I have a stack of them as backups to the main drive. They all read and write perfectly so it’s not a bummer at all so far as that goes. I would just like to see which files play off of these drives w/ the 105D and which do not.

this is an issue I run across with many different drives across various media players, most persistently in different car stereo media players.

There is definitely something going on that your post indicates. From what I know of computers, it's the "controller" in the adapter, or drive but trying to decipher the specifics is hair pulling as much as the drive or adapter just not working.

I have discerned no repeatable pattern (because I refuse to expend the time it would take to actually do so, that's their job).

Last edited:
I've found that the small (tiny) thumb flash drives work consistently well with the Oppos. It's the large USB drives that are always going to be questionable. I think.

Well the Oppos are a great machine, but they aren't perfect either. Also, seems to me anytime a piece of computer gear is to be hitched to consumer audio equipment it's real iffy at best, or at least a hassle to configure. The newer USB flash drives seem to bridge that gap better these days. And you'd think given all this time the two have been around, they'd have figured it out by now.
*And it's also not always the most expensive hook-ups that works the best. I've had several plastic Optical Toslink connectors break on my Marantz AVR-8500; and after researching the issue, I found some folks claim it's due to using cables that are too pricy and that the cheaper ones work fine without breaking your plastic female connectors. But to me, those Toslink connectors are a poor design anyway.
Anyway @quicksrt, hope you figure out the issue, and please let us know if you do (I'm thinking it's that USB connector to your HDD.)

All mine are USB 3.0 although the Oppo itself is 2.0 I believe. They are all formatted as NTFS GPT. They all work great plugged in at the same time. Takes about 20 seconds for all the partitions and folders etc to appear on the Oppo menu when turned on.

All mine are USB 3.0 although the Oppo itself is 2.0 I believe. They are all formatted as NTFS GPT. They all work great plugged in at the same time. Takes about 20 seconds for all the partitions and folders etc to appear on the Oppo menu when turned on.
I’m curious if a number of SSDs could be used together on a powered USB tree?

Back