The Pineapple Thief - Give It Back (5.1 / Dolby Atmos BluRay)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alansanchez86

701 Club - QQ All-Star

Link to purchase: Give It Back

Tracklist:
1 Wretched Soul (Rewired) [05:26]
2 Dead In The Water (Rewired) [04:43]
3 Give It Back (Rewired) [06:20]
4 Build A World (Rewired) [03:42]
5 Start Your Descent (Rewired) [04:23]
6 137 (Rewired) [05:06]
7 Shoot First (Rewired) [03:43]
8 Boxing Day (Rewired) [03:25]
9 Warm Seas (Rewired) [03:59]
10 Someone Pull Me Out (Rewired) [04:00]
11 Last Man Standing (Rewired) [05:15]
12 Little Man (Rewired) [03:51]

The Pineapple Thief’s Give It Back - a superb collection that showcases the evolution of the band - features 12 re-recorded and re-worked TPT classics now featuring Gavin Harrison

Including songs from the albums Little Man, All The Wars, Tightly Unwound and more, with new vocals and guitars from Bruce Soord, Gavin Harrison drum parts, new mixing by Soord and Harrison and mastering by Steve Kitch.

Gavin Harrison explains, “When I first started working with The Pineapple Thief I had only played on the album Your Wilderness, so when the time came to play live I obviously had to approach quite a few songs I didn’t know and hadn’t played before. Having spent some years in King Crimson (where this challenge was often presented to me), Robert Fripp suggested that you should approach every song as if it were new regardless of when it was written. So with the blessing of The Pineapple Thief, I developed my own take on some of the earlier material. As the tours went by I got curious about their huge back catalogue and found myself listening through and applying the ‘old song/new song' process and imagining how I could (sometimes radically) rework them. Initially just for the purposes of finding other songs to play live. However, Bruce encouraged me to go as far out as I wanted (including writing whole new sections) - after all, the original already existed - so why not breathe new life into these earlier songs? This isn’t a compilation album or any kind of selected ‘best of’ record - but rather the tunes that gave me inspiration to rearrange, rework, rewire.’

CD/Blu-Ray in digipak with artwork by Carl Glover. Includes hi-res stereo and DTS-HD MA 5.1/Dolby Atmos.

1 Wretched Soul (Rewired) [05:26]
2 Dead In The Water (Rewired) [04:43]
3 Give It Back (Rewired) [06:20]
4 Build A World (Rewired) [03:42]
5 Start Your Descent (Rewired) [04:23]
6 137 (Rewired) [05:06]
7 Shoot First (Rewired) [03:43]
8 Boxing Day (Rewired) [03:25]
9 Warm Seas (Rewired) [03:59]
10 Someone Pull Me Out (Rewired) [04:00]
11 Last Man Standing (Rewired) [05:15]
12 Little Man (Rewired) [03:51]

Audio - Hi-res Stereo/DTS-HD MA 5.1/Dolby Atmos

1645547974100.png

click to enlarge

Last edited:
I thought the live reworked versions of "Build A World" and "Someone Pull Me Out" on Nothing But The Truth were better than the originals, so this is a great news! "Dead In The Water" and "Boxing Day" from the Little Man album are among my favorite tracks from the Cyclops era.

If this does well, I wonder if they'll consider doing a 'volume 2' of reworked older songs? I'd love to hear what some of the longer-form, proggier tracks like "Private Paradise," "Remember Us," or "We Love You" would sound with Gavin.

I'm going to get this, being a huge TPT fan. I wonder if the recordings of Someone Pull Me Out, Shoot First, Warm Seas and 137 are the ones from Uncovering The Tracks or if they are new recordings. I'm happy that these songs are released in this format because they were only released on vinyl and not in digital format (I still bought the vinyl). It's released a week after the Montréal show, so it's unlilkely I'll be able to buy it directly at the show.

I have 4 of the tracks from the very limited RSD release Discogs link, I got into them on Tightly Unwound and have everything now. Bruce is a very clever guy and I like it that he’s not precious about his back catalogue and confident to let Gavin re-invent . If you haven’t heard Mr Harrisons 5.1 re-imagining of their Versions of the truth album, you need to, it’s soo good . For me I’d like Bruce to atmos his back catalogue

Bruce is a very clever guy and I like it that he’s not precious about his back catalogue and confident to let Gavin re-invent.
I agree entirely. I discovered them around "Tightly Unwound", too, and they've been one of my favourite bands ever since. I went to a lot of early gigs and did quite a bit of photography for them, which is how I got to know Bruce. (The surround stuff came much later!)

I've been re-listening to their back catalogue a lot recently, too, and it's no exaggeration to say that Bruce is a musical genius. Many of his creative ideas and song writing, even in the very early albums are truly superb. I think the fact that Gavin is very happy to play/record with them stands testament to that.

Bruce is also insanely creative; all that "bonus" material he's produced over the years, like "Eight Days" and Eight Days Later" during the "Variations" and "Ten/Twelve Stories" sessions. And not a bad song on them! ...in fact The Snail Song on Eight Days Later is one of my favourite songs of his!

It's a travesty that they didn't get much bigger, much earlier. Even now they should be bigger than they are, but at least they have a good sized fan base these days.

Finally got the preorder in. Burning Shed + PayPal always give me a hassle. Just lucky like that.

Wow just realized we have to wait until May. Looks like a lot of back catalogue listening in the near future. I can deal with that.

I have 4 of the tracks from the very limited RSD release Discogs link, I got into them on Tightly Unwound and have everything now. Bruce is a very clever guy and I like it that he’s not precious about his back catalogue and confident to let Gavin re-invent . If you haven’t heard Mr Harrisons 5.1 re-imagining of their Versions of the truth album, you need to, it’s soo good . For me I’d like Bruce to atmos his back catalogue
Gavin was part of the original releas. What is the rework of Versions you referred to? I can’t find anything about it.

I agree entirely. I discovered them around "Tightly Unwound", too, and they've been one of my favourite bands ever since. I went to a lot of early gigs and did quite a bit of photography for them, which is how I got to know Bruce. (The surround stuff came much later!)

I've been re-listening to their back catalogue a lot recently, too, and it's no exaggeration to say that Bruce is a musical genius. Many of his creative ideas and song writing, even in the very early albums are truly superb. I think the fact that Gavin is very happy to play/record with them stands testament to that.

Bruce is also insanely creative; all that "bonus" material he's produced over the years, like "Eight Days" and Eight Days Later" during the "Variations" and "Ten/Twelve Stories" sessions. And not a bad song on them! ...in fact The Snail Song on Eight Days Later is one of my favourite songs of his!

It's a travesty that they didn't get much bigger, much earlier. Even now they should be bigger than they are, but at least they have a good sized fan base these days.
I got into TPT because of Where We Stood: there was so much stuff on the Blu-ray I couldn't pass and figured it was an occasion do discover them and I got hooked. I bought everything after and started getting into the back catalogue. I managed to find Variations On A Dream and 3000 Days on an obscure online record shop (along with the 2CD version of Up The Downstair from PT). My local record shop has most discs (they even carry The Soord Sessions which I thought I could never get because of shipping cost), but the 2CD version of 10 Stories Down is quite hard to find.

I got into TPT because of Where We Stood: there was so much stuff on the Blu-ray I couldn't pass and figured it was an occasion do discover them and I got hooked. I bought everything after and started getting into the back catalogue. I managed to find Variations On A Dream and 3000 Days on an obscure online record shop (along with the 2CD version of Up The Downstair from PT). My local record shop has most discs (they even carry The Soord Sessions which I thought I could never get because of shipping cost), but the 2CD version of 10 Stories Down is quite hard to find.
I started getting into TPT after hearing Soord's collaboration with Renkse "Wisdom of Crowds" around 2015. That led me to Magnolia and their Live 2014 release. I've bought their subsequent releases, and I've started streaming their back catalogue on Apple music, beginning with Abducted at Birth. I have to say it's really good stuff, somewhat reminiscent of Porcupine Tree, but also different. I look forward to this new release.

Back