The Pineapple Thief - Give It Back (5.1 / Dolby Atmos BluRay)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am definitely really interested in this but, and it is a big BUT, I did not at all like the vocal mix on the last one (Version Of The Truth) with the lead vocal spread to the rears. If this one has the same kind of mix, I will be dissappointed. Guess I need to wait and see the responses from you guys until I push the Buy button.

The mix on Versiosn Of The Truth was excellent to me, especially the alternative (acoustic) mix which is a reference mix to me.

Last edited:
I wish Bruce Soord would read this forum and would take notice of our disappointments about isolating too much his voice in particular locations outside of the tradicional front.

I really like the Atmos mix in Nothing But The Truth, but the problem, as we have already said, is that the supposed intended effect, kind of binaural inside your head, is only achievable in a very narrow sweet spot and also dependent on the angle location of your surrounds or sides at to your MLP.

I think (or I would prefer) the voice should be spread also in more locations/speakers in order to have a whole bubble of the voice that fills up the room in whatever location you are listening.

The play testing I'm engaged to do is *purely* on the initial "traditional" 5.1 mix, where his typical spatial positioning is lead vocal in the centre (with maybe a touch of bleed), and harmonies in the surrounds (unless they don't "work" there.) I say "initial", because Bruce usually (always?) mixes that before he works on the Atmos mixes, but I'm afraid I don't know who/how he tests the latter.

Is there a more wide ranging discussion on this anywhere you can point me at?

I am definitely really interested in this but, and it is a big BUT, I did not at all like the vocal mix on the last one (Nothing But The Truth) with the lead vocal spread to the rears. If this one has the same kind of mix, I will be dissappointed.

I think the 'vocal in all channels' effect was a one-off for that particular album, since the positions of each band member in the surround mixes basically matches their location on stage in the accompanying video (Gavin upfront, Steve on the right, Jon on the left, George directly behind, and Bruce in the middle). Every other 5.1 mix he's done to date has the vocals in the front and/or center speakers.

I think the 'vocal in all channels' effect was a one-off for that particular album, since the positions of each band member in the surround mixes basically matches their location on stage in the accompanying video (Gavin upfront, Steve on the right, Jon on the left, George directly behind, and Bruce in the middle). Every other 5.1 mix he's done to date has the vocals in the front and/or center speakers.
Correct.

Yes, and a one-off is how I see it as well. At least he's not afraid to experiment. When the new works come out I suspect we'll mostly forget about the vocal positioning as it will be back to "normal".
I have to say from the first listen I kept an open mind and just enjoy the content as presented. It did not upset me, though I don't have any cravings for a repeat of his experiment.

I'll be seeing them May 5 in NYC. Really looking forward to it. I'm hoping the mercy table has the new disc so I can save myself the shipping fees from the UK.
I'm hoping for the same thing, but I doubt it.

May 8th for me in Montréal. It's the last show I saw before the pandemic and it's going to be the first show since then.

I totally forgot about this one....went to preorder...and I've already done that some time ago. If you can't remember...forget it.
I feel like you, but... I write down any order I make in an Excel file, either music albums or whatever.
Had to look for it in the Excel to confirm I did pre-order it also ;)

Mainly Gavin Harrison.
Somebody said Gavin is too cold too robotic, But, for me, he is the most preferred drummer now.
I like some aspects of the re-recording (Bruce's vocal performance in particular stands out), but it's not quite as successful as the new "Give It Back" or the live version of "Build A World" for me. There's a quiet, building intensity to the old version that's sort of obliterated by introducing Gavin's drums at full strength right out of the gate. I also miss that interesting tonal shift between the verses and the choruses where the guitar pattern would change, that first chorus feels kind of empty here by comparison. Perhaps I'm being overly-critical, but Little Man is easily my most listened-to of the Cyclops-era albums.

Oh, for me it's so much better! It's as if someone has pulled off the lid and all this hidden tension and emotion has bubbled out.

The lyrics stand out way more too - and not just because they're on the screen. And how evocative they are of the world today and how so many feel.

Back