The Pineapple Thief - Give It Back (5.1 / Dolby Atmos BluRay)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spoke with Bruce at the meet & greet in NYC. He has already mixed the first six TPT albums into surround and atmos. He said they plan to release stand alone blu-rays and hinted at a huge release

View attachment 78565
I had the immense pleasure of play testing Bruce's 5.1 (non Atmos) mixes of the early albums. Knowing the material really well, I also had some input into the spatial positioning on many tracks, which is always great fun. It's was a huge undertaking, as it includes the bonus EPs and a load of un-released stuff too, but Bruce had already done a stellar job with the early mixes so it wasn't a chore; the early material sounds soooooooooooo good in surround. It'll be an Epic, and essential set when it's released!

Listening to this stuff again en masse also made me appreciate all over again just how much of a musical genius Bruce really is. If there was any justice in the music industry TPT would have been huge right from day one.

Me too. I am just a little leery of the title stating CD +DVD. The pictures show blu ray though.
I'm 99.9% certain that there will be a BD.

[Edit] - actually, having looked at the listing, I get your point! I know for sure that there is a BD release. I guess the question is "are Import CDs shipping the BD?" Worth clarification.

For info; the Burning Shed listing doesn't have a CD/DVD version listed:
https://burningshed.com/index.php?r...=the pineapple thief&filter_sub_category=true

Me too. I am just a little leery of the title stating CD +DVD. The pictures show blu ray though.

The description for disc 2 definitely says that it includes the Dolby Atmos mix. Also, the Catalog Number is the same as that on the Burning Shed listing. (Burning Shed now reports it as "sold out.")

16525384576018254490019901575328.jpg

Mine arrived today, deff Blu-ray and CD.

I had the immense pleasure of play testing Bruce's 5.1 (non Atmos) mixes of the early albums. Knowing the material really well, I also had some input into the spatial positioning on many tracks, which is always great fun. It's was a huge undertaking, as it includes the bonus EPs and a load of un-released stuff too, but Bruce had already done a stellar job with the early mixes so it wasn't a chore; the early material sounds soooooooooooo good in surround. It'll be an Epic, and essential set when it's released!

Listening to this stuff again en masse also made me appreciate all over again just how much of a musical genius Bruce really is. If there was any justice in the music industry TPT would have been huge right from day one.
It is already huge news that the early albums are remixed in surround, it makes it even better that the bonus albums and unreleased items will be included as well!

As good as the 5.1 mix sounds, I have to say that the Atmos really does add something extra on this one. Piano throughout "Boxing Day" is almost completely isolated in the heights on my 5.1.2 setup, as are some of the keys in "Wretched Soul" and the opening sound effects to "Dead In The Water". The ending of "137" is nuts, all speakers firing to great effect.

I received it today... finally... after a very slow FedEx trip that got stuck at Paris Charles De Gaulle Airport for one week. Operational Delay, they said, Not Custom clearance that was done in Madrid in few hours.

I have just listen to the whole Atmos mix, and two relevant things:

First, as we have said, the presence of Gavin Harrison's drums brings an extraordinary level to the sound.

Second, Bruce seems to have heard my (and others') complaints about the two side surround channels mix of his vocals on "Nothing But The Truth" leading to a voice inside my head (interesting) but disappearing (sides lateral “cogging”?) when slightly move away from the very narrow sweet spot.

In this Atmos Give It Back album, it hardly makes use of the center channel for vocals, nor of two surround speakers alone. Instead, the voice is spread throughout the whole sound bubble. Don’t worry about the sweet spot. Walking around the room I enjoy the immersive sound and voice all over around. Excelent !

In the US and ordered from Laser's Edge. Ships today for delivery Friday.
Are you sure you ordered the CD + Bluray version. There are apparently two different SKUs. The one on Laser's edge might be CD only.
They seem to have pulled the listing for the CD/Blu-Ray, maybe they sold out of their (likely small) initial run and are waiting for more stock? My copy from them arrived yesterday.
Don’t worry about the sweet spot. Walking around the room I enjoy the immersive sound and voice all over around.
Staying in or near the sweet spot is still key to get the full surround effect on this one, some of the backing vocals are mixed dead center in the rear channels and can lean left/right if you're off to one side.

This will almost certainly be a "10" vote for me - based on sheer value alone, great music, and two excellent surround versions - but I have to say, I'm really torn between the 5.1 and Atmos (presented in 5.1.2 for me). Flipping back-and-forth between the two, there are some really interesting differences (particularly with regard to the center channel).
  • "Wretched Soul" - the synth freakout at 2:45 is mostly in the center channel on the 5.1, but it's in the height speakers on the Atmos
  • "Dead In The Water" - opening SFX are in left rear on 5.1, left height (presumably left rear height if you've got four ceiling speakers) in Atmos
  • "Give It Back" - Bruce's 'I will give it back to you' when the band drops out is completely isolated in the center in 5.1, the Atmos has it spread out a bit mroe
  • "Build A World" - opening in 5.1 has synth strings in rear and marimba upfront, Atmos has synth strings in height and marimba in rear
  • "137" - opening synth in rear center in 5.1, Atmos has it locked to the center speaker and nowhere else. Also, the end synth decays front-to-back in 5.1 and rear to height in Atmos
  • "Boxing Day" - opening piano in fronts on 5.1, Atmos has it almost completely isolated in heights

This will almost certainly be a "10" vote for me - based on sheer value alone, great music, and two excellent surround versions - but I have to say, I'm really torn between the 5.1 and Atmos (presented in 5.1.2 for me). Flipping back-and-forth between the two, there are some really interesting differences (particularly with regard to the center channel).
  • "Wretched Soul" - the synth freakout at 2:45 is mostly in the center channel on the 5.1, but it's in the height speakers on the Atmos
  • "Dead In The Water" - opening SFX are in left rear on 5.1, left height (presumably left rear height if you've got four ceiling speakers) in Atmos
  • "Give It Back" - Bruce's 'I will give it back to you' when the band drops out is completely isolated in the center in 5.1, the Atmos has it spread out a bit mroe
  • "Build A World" - opening in 5.1 has synth strings in rear and marimba upfront, Atmos has synth strings in height and marimba in rear
  • "137" - opening synth in rear center in 5.1, Atmos has it locked to the center speaker and nowhere else. Also, the end synth decays front-to-back in 5.1 and rear to height in Atmos
  • "Boxing Day" - opening piano in fronts on 5.1, Atmos has it almost completely isolated in heights
This is why I never listen to the 5.1 if there's an Atmos mix present. ;) You should try to expand to 5.1.4 for better separation in the heights, or better 7.1.4. I'm surprised on how much is happening in the SB on some mixes.:cool:

I bought mine from amazon for ease of ordering and delivery, just got a small refund of £2.33 because the price came down between pre-order and release day, not much but how many other companies do this?

This is why I never listen to the 5.1 if there's an Atmos mix present. ;) You should try to expand to 5.1.4 for better separation in the heights, or better 7.1.4. I'm surprised on how much is happening in the SB on some mixes.:cool:

Completely agree.

I would like Elliot Scheiner to listen to this and other good Atmos mixes in good rooms setup. He would understand that Atmos music really enhance the 5.1 if the mix is done right. (hopefully).
There are not many "pannings" or "ping-pong" sounds here, or they are done very lightly. This is one of things that Elliot does not want for music (only for films), and he says 5.1 is enough. Luckily others think otherwise and release good Atmos mixes for our enjoyment.

Back