The Pineapple Thief - Nothing But The Truth (Dolby Atmos/5.1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first BREXIT experience.

Fedex has asked me to pay 19.8 EUR for customs for the package coming from outside European Union.

I do not think I will have it today :(
Yesterday I had mine…..7,34 € for Time Honoured Ghost bought in Cherry Red Records for 16 € (standard shipping). I am not going to buy anything in the UK again

Got mine on Thursday from Burning Shed and watched it last night. Fantastic disc with great picture quality, nice and slow editing and audio is superb. I opted for the DTS-HD 5.1 as I don't have Atmos and it sounded good. Love how most of the 2nd guitarist's work was in the rears. Vocals a bit low I found but nothing too drastic (for some reason they feature in all 3 front channels).

There are are 2 minor nitpicks for me.

1. There is a ton of colour banding throughout the video. Obviously this is something that can be hard to remove completely due to the blu-ray spec colourspace but a slightly more refined encode would have helped enormously. Thankfully the rest of the picture looks so clean and crisp it's not really a huge distraction.

2. The Drum-cam footage is literally just a picture within picture format, where the drum cam footage is placed over the existing show and is confined to the top left corner only.

For me, it's just too small to be much use and would have preferred it was full screen. It looks to take up approx 6gb on the disc and there is a further 6gb approx spare so could have utilised that, even if it needed to be a lower bitrate overall compared to the main feature.

Audio is superb though, can hear all the subtle things, even Gavin's fingers tapping the snare when playing rim clicks in some of the drum grooves.

"As Atmos is already supported by Apple Music, Tidal and Amazon Music, you no longer need a dedicated listening room to enjoy immersive music, you can use your headphones. That's the real game changer for me. Although obviously a dedicated listening room is still a great way to do it."

Erm, does everyone else here agree with Bruce that Atmos via headphones is a "game changer"? For whom?

For me, "obviously a dedicated listening room is still the only way to do it" would be more accurate. :)

Okay, not literally the only way, and I'm sure you can "enjoy immersive music" using your headphones but appreciating what the immersive mix is? I don't think so. I've never heard surround on headphones when my eyes are closed sounding like surround does in my multichannel room - it always needs a visual or text clue to fool your brain into hearing accurate directionality.

Plus, I'd rather have TrueHD/Atmos than DD+/Atmos.
How can one listen to surround music via headphones? LOL

Also for me.

But I also expect that an increasing "popularity" for the masses of Atmos using headphones would make an increase of Atmos mixes released for the Home Theater listening room.
As long as they are real Atmos mixes, that is great! Viva la surround, excelente.

BTW. Auro 3D now have 11.1 Wav downloads! This has changed my mind on 3D audio, I now think, and WISH all those releases on Apple and Tidal were Auro 3D. Wav files are nice and easy for us to purchase as a DL, and for artists to present them on bandcamp, sites etc.

Got mine on Thursday from Burning Shed and watched it last night. Fantastic disc with great picture quality, nice and slow editing and audio is superb. I opted for the DTS-HD 5.1 as I don't have Atmos and it sounded good. Love how most of the 2nd guitarist's work was in the rears. Vocals a bit low I found but nothing too drastic (for some reason they feature in all 3 front channels).

I've just had my 2nd listen, this time in 5.1 and I'm getting vocals in all 5 speakers, I wouldn't say vocals where mixed low though. Yesterday I listened in Atmos and it seemed (though I didn't put my ear to the speakers) that vocals where from the surrounds (not rears) and I didn't like it, which is why I thought I'd try 5.1 today, still not keen on the vocal mix.
I'm guessing that because Bruce is in the middle with the camera moving round him that his vocal is coming from the middle of the room.

I've just had my 2nd listen, this time in 5.1 and I'm getting vocals in all 5 speakers, I wouldn't say vocals where mixed low though. Yesterday I listened in Atmos and it seemed (though I didn't put my ear to the speakers) that vocals where from the surrounds (not rears) and I didn't like it, which is why I thought I'd try 5.1 today, still not keen on the vocal mix.
I'm guessing that because Bruce is in the middle with the camera moving round him that his vocal is coming from the middle of the room.
I have had the first full listening today.

I like very much that the Bruce vocals is not in front as usual. Yes, it comes from the two (side) surrounds. If your layout is with surrounds at the sides (90º), as mine, you may hear in the sweet spot his voice either “into your head” or coming from the ceiling above, because of some binaural effect. But the vocals do not come from the top speakers in the main film.

Fortunately, the four music videos are mixed in Atmos, and there the main vocals is coming also from the top speakers, enlarging the sound bubble sensation.

It is also good that the backing vocals (mainly from Jon Sykes, bass) are coming from the left surround, making a good separation from the Bruce main vocals.

For me, it is very conservative when the vocals are coming only from the front, and worst only from the Central speaker. Many of us appreciate discrete instruments coming from the surrounds (sides or rears), even if the musician playing an (electric) instrument is located visually in the front. Why not also the main vocals, that are also electric (via the micro/amp)? That allows a more successful sound bubble, and the voice is not muffled by the other instruments as in some other surround mixes.

For people that prefer the vocals coming from the front, there is the alternative of the 5.1 mix (I think it is mixed this way), or even the Stereo, that could be both upmixed with the AVR. So many choices to play and compare.

This Bruce Atmos mix is not as aggressive as Yello-Point with ping-pong sounds, but I find the sound very clear and discrete, to perceive each instrument, and with a good enough sound bubble immersion.

Special mention to Gavin Harrison and his drum set, that looks so clean and brand-new, with the very clean Batter Heads. Just see his long “would like to thank” list in the credits. With the PIP option of Gavin drum-cam, you may no longer have the need of looking for Gavin Youtube videos to see his performance. But sometimes the drum-cam video montage is not as good as I would like, and some details are lost like, for example, when a quick two-feet bass drum occurs and the cameraman loses most of that play.

The vocals are mainly in surrounds, which I too do not like at all.

I thought first track had vocals too low and muddy, after that I can hear ok. If vocals were in fronts instead, with some rear bleed I would give this 8 or 9.

I am very happy with this new disc! Great 'studio live' concept, beautifully captured in terms of video and the audio (I listened to the Atmos mix) is great to my ears. I'm not experiencing a lack of vocal presence in the fronts, although obviously the main vocal is mixed to the surrounds as well. No issue for me and I am one of those who think vocals from the front are the most logical (the storyteller standing in front of you so to say). Overall, what a great offering (again!) from TPT.

As long as they are real Atmos mixes, that is great! Viva la surround, excelente.

BTW. Auro 3D now have 11.1 Wav downloads! This has changed my mind on 3D audio, I now think, and WISH all those releases on Apple and Tidal were Auro 3D. Wav files are nice and easy for us to purchase as a DL, and for artists to present them on bandcamp, sites etc.
Hi
Can you provide a link to these Auro 3D Wav downloads?
Cheers

I haven't bought my copy yet (waiting for my local shop), but with all I'm reading, I'm wondering if Bruce tried something different to represent sonically the layout of filming stage (Bruce in the center and everyone around him).

The Drum-cam footage is literally just a picture within picture format, where the drum cam footage is placed over the existing show and is confined to the top left corner only.
My copy arrived yesterday, no listen yet, but wanted to read what you guys have to say. I will be doing an Atmos listen.
The drum cam video on Prince's last release was horrible. Maybe the directors will eventually not have drum cam footage but rather a 4K video shoot with good camera's from above?

Back