BluRay Music Video Poll The Pineapple Thief - WHERE WE STOOD [Blu-Ray]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray of The Pineapple Thief - WHERE WE STOOD

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Finally found the time to open it up after finding it under a pile of new purchases, but ran into a problem.
Put it into my OPPO-83se . It played for 18 secs. and then seized up. Had to shut it down and restart the OPPO to remove the disc.
Repeated the process, and the same thing happened. Looked for a firmware update, but it said I was up to date.
Took the same disc upstairs to my main system, put it in my OPPO 105D, and it works just fine.
Any suggestions?

Finally found the time to open it up after finding it under a pile of new purchases, but ran into a problem.
Put it into my OPPO-83se . It played for 18 secs. and then seized up. Had to shut it down and restart the OPPO to remove the disc.
Repeated the process, and the same thing happened. Looked for a firmware update, but it said I was up to date.
Took the same disc upstairs to my main system, put it in my OPPO 105D, and it works just fine.
Any suggestions?

Be grateful you have a 105D! I recently replaced my 83SE with a 103D and a 205.

This disc blew me away on all counts: content, surround mix, and just sheer bang-for-your-buck. Never heard of the band, but I discovered the Your Wilderness album about two weeks ago and it was love at first listen (I think if you like Porcupine Tree or Steven Wilson, you'll probably dig this). I liked it enough that I probably would've shelled out for the OOP 2CD/DVD-A version just to hear it in surround, but I'm glad I didn't have to.

A live concert, two full studio albums, and some acoustic bonus tracks all in surround on the same disc for under $20 is just outrageous. To say I'm floored with the value and care that went into this release would be an understatement.

My expectations were high for the Your Wilderness 5.1 and I think Bruce Soord killed it - this is the first of his surround mixes I've heard, and I'm really impressed. It's a very adventurous and discrete mix with lots of good stuff in the rear channels (harmony vocals, strings, keys/piano, electric guitar, and even some guitar solos). The lead vocal is isolated in the center SW-style, with some very slight bleed to the corners.

The only part that disappointed me slightly was the ending ramp-up in "No Man's Land". Maybe it's my setup, but the electric guitars sound kinda thin and it doesn't quite have the impact of the stereo version.

Some other notes:
  • My vote for best surround mix is "Fend For Yourself" - it sounds absolutely huge. The backing vocals and clarinet solo are isolated in the rears.
  • The live performance is excellent! Bruce's vocals are strikingly close to the studio cuts at times.
  • The main surround option for the concert is your typical ambient live 5.1, but the "alternate" mix has impressive separation with the backing vocals mostly isolated in the rears.
  • The acoustic bonus tracks are also pretty discrete - harmonies in the rears
  • The content and surround mix on 8 Years Later isn't quite as strong as Your Wilderness (IMO), but it's still quite good and I'm thrilled it was included
If I were only rating the Your Wilderness 5.1 mix, I'd vote a "9", but throw in all the extra surround material and it has to a "10". Every surround fan should have one.

"Take Your Shot" (Your Wilderness 5.1):
Take Your Shot 5.1.jpg

"Take Your Shot" (Live Concert "Alternate" 5.1):
Take Your Shot Live 5.1.png

Well, this has got to be the best value for content ever, for the price everyone on this forum should own a copy, you're getting four 5.1 mixes, a full HD Concert video, two studio albums plus the acoustic stuff and interviews etc...

I agree about the value, if you like their music. I'm a big Gavin fan, and of course Porcupine Tree/SW, but Porcupine Thief's music has never done anything for me. IMHO they should pay me $15 to listen/watch, and supply enough coffee to stay awake. ;)

If anyone is looking for something similar to listen to that's a bit more emotive or musically engaging, try some Anathema or O.R.K. respectively. Or even the latest Opeth.

Seems like this one has disappeared off the face off the earth. At least at a good price has it been out for a long time? After reading this thread, it sounds like a great deal

Just picked up a used copy for 15$. My first introduction to TPT, and....I'm really digging it. And the amount of material is incredible! All in Surround!

Side note: Does anybody else have issues with the menus? Seems to be an authoring bug. When I click on the "Top Menu" button on both of my blu ray players it goes back to the into screen, but then fades to black, and I cannot access any of the tracks anymore. I have to press STOP and then re-play the disc again. A minor fault for such a great disc!

Ive found it a great value cuz alot of content n in 5.1 yeah

Music is ok new band for me...mellow progessive rock/pop...its my before bedtime music

A 9 cuz of its discrete mixes

Absolutely love this release for content, performance, mix, and fidelity. Anyone else feel that the concert low end is a bit lacking? I realize it’s a live show and it’s utterly fantastic otherwise, but it’s downright anemic compared to the LFE on Versions Of Truth, which is massive.

Great release, probably a 9 or a 10. There's so much material packed in this blu-ray disc that I am not ready to vote, but I cannot think it would be lower than a 9.

Perhaps, I am missing something but the 5.1 main mix is definitely the more discrete of the two to my ears. For example, listen to No Man's Land.

Great release, probably a 9 or a 10. There's so much material packed in this blu-ray disc that I am not ready to vote, but I cannot think it would be lower than a 9.

Perhaps, I am missing something but the 5.1 main mix is definitely the more discrete of the two to my ears. For example, listen to No Man's Land.
What I hear is that in the "Concert Film", the main mix is the "natural" one (no option for the alternate mix here). If I select the "Concert Only" option, the main mix is the "discrete" one and the alternate mix is the "natural".
Also, the booklet says that the "Acoustic Album" is only available in stereo, but there is actually a discrete 5.1 mix of the acoustic songs.
The version I have is the 2 discs jewel case (CD + Blu-Ray).
I see that you posted more than a year ago, but I just got this and I am pretty excited with all the options :p.

What I hear is that in the "Concert Film", the main mix is the "natural" one (no option for the alternate mix here). If I select the "Concert Only" option, the main mix is the "discrete" one and the alternate mix is the "natural".
Also, the booklet says that the "Acoustic Album" is only available in stereo, but there is actually a discrete 5.1 mix of the acoustic songs.
The version I have is the 2 discs jewel case (CD + Blu-Ray).
I see that you posted more than a year ago, but I just got this and I am pretty excited with all the options :p.
It’s a great release, Anibal. Hope you enjoy it!

Back