The Planets / Also sprach Zarathustra (1971) Quadraphonic Blu-ray Audio from DG

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I'm really peeved Amazon didn't get this in stock on time. This was on my all-time wishlist for a long time and I didn't think we'd see it released - and now I'm not the first one to have it! Such calumny. Looks like I might get it by the weekend at least.

I have to say, I was blown away by this release. It does have discrete elements which are subtle, but clearly there. The performances of both are, IMO, top notch and hopefully, DGG will release more BD~As of this caliber, now that Pentatone has ceased their RQR SACD series of the DGG/Philips QUAD catalogue.

Got mine today from Amazon.de
MAN, Quad in 192????? I personally think 192 is overkill, but nevertheless....I though it was gonna be 96!!!
No reason why not. Classical recordings were always made to much higher standards than pop, and this tape reportedly hasn't been touched since 1971 or so. And there's room on the disc.

I personally would have rather they had made it all of Steinberg's recordings with the Boston Symphony - there's only one other LP, and I secretly hoped they'd add the quad mix of it (also a Thomas Mowrey production) as bonus tracks: https://www.discogs.com/Paul-Hindem...his-Der-Maler-Concert-Music-F/release/3227267

But, more than happy to get this. Now it just needs to arrive :)

Very nice ?
I agree with the description of Big Ambience.

Exceptional fidelity for 47 & 48 year old recordings. I cannot speak to the technical merits of the piece, orchestra, and conductor as I am not really a classical fan; however, even a novice like me can tell this is a well performed and conducted arrangement.

I did need to boost the rears a tad to level all four channels but that isn’t an isolated occurance for my system.

While my ears think there are some subtle discrete placement of instruments in the rears, the booklet states that DG’s 4 channel mixing console was used in the recording with the rears being focused ato capture the reflected sound of the recording space with omnichannel mics. So maybe not really discrete but a trick of sound reflection?

Interestingly - The booklet also offers its own theory as to why quad never lasted as a format. To quote the booklet: “The vinyl LP - the problem child of the quadraphonic concept”.

“the needle technology used during the vinyl era was simply unsuitable for four channels.” o_O:eek: Interesting viewpoints.

Very nice ?
I agree with the description of Big Ambience.

Exceptional fidelity for 47 & 48 year old recordings. I cannot speak to the technical merits of the piece, orchestra, and conductor as I am not really a classical fan; however, even a novice like me can tell this is a well performed and conducted arrangement.

I did need to boost the rears a tad to level all four channels but that isn’t an isolated occurance for my system.

While my ears think there are some subtle discrete placement of instruments in the rears, the booklet states that DG’s 4 channel mixing console was used in the recording with the rears being focused ato capture the reflected sound of the recording space with omnichannel mics. So maybe not really discrete but a trick of sound reflection?

Interestingly - The booklet also offers its own theory as to why quad never lasted as a format. To quote the booklet: “The vinyl LP - the problem child of the quadraphonic concept”.

“the needle technology used during the vinyl era was simply unsuitable for four channels.” o_O:eek: Interesting viewpoints.
The producer of these recordings, Thomas Mowrey, came here and talked about his mixing philosophy. He basically said that he used discrete mixing techniques, but that made him essentially unique at Deutsche Grammophon, where essentially all other quad recordings were ambient: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/discussion-with-thomas-mowrey.20318/

The producer of these recordings, Thomas Mowrey, came here and talked about his mixing philosophy. He basically said that he used discrete mixing techniques, but that made him essentially unique at Deutsche Grammophon, where essentially all other quad recordings were ambient: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/discussion-with-thomas-mowrey.20318/

I did detect some discrete elements in the rears and overall, enjoyed this recording immensely.

I was not aware of Steinberg's other DGG recording with the BSO [Hindemith] but like you, agree it would've made a nice bonus feature on the existing Planets/Zarathustra release as I doubt it would merit a stand alone BD~A release from Universal.

When mine did not arrive yesterday, as Amazon said it would, I was hoping for this afternoon. I did get a message from that tall lady telling me it would now arrive between the 5th and 8th of next month. Even though I have no opportunity to play it until maybe the weekend, still annoying!

Just gave a listen - sounds absolutely fantastic. I agree with the "big ambience" description - it's aggressive use of the ambient channels compared to modern mixes, and often somewhat discrete, but it never gets really noticeable in its use of the surrounds - subtly discrete at most. I'm thrilled this got released and hope it's only the beginning.

The booklet is weird - it talks about how DG used a CD-4 system for releases and the problem was the stylus, but as I understand it DG never actually released quad LPs? And the booklet talks up Steinberg's third LP for DG, the Hindemith record, which just made me further regret they couldn't include it.

Just gave a listen - sounds absolutely fantastic. I agree with the "big ambience" description - it's aggressive use of the ambient channels compared to modern mixes, and often somewhat discrete, but it never gets really noticeable in its use of the surrounds - subtly discrete at most. I'm thrilled this got released and hope it's only the beginning.

The booklet is weird - it talks about how DG used a CD-4 system for releases and the problem was the stylus, but as I understand it DG never actually released quad LPs? And the booklet talks up Steinberg's third LP for DG, the Hindemith record, which just made me further regret they couldn't include it.

Gratified, ubertrout, that you enjoyed this recording as much as I did.

Regarding DGG's release of CD~4: Quadraphonic Discography only lists one CD~4 of Ozawa and the BSO performing Symphonie Fantastique and it was ONLY released in Germany as a TEST PRESSING.

IMO, this might be the perfect companion piece to Steinberg's unreleased Hindesmith QUAD recording with the BSO.*

In contrast, the list of Angel/EMI SQ Quad recordings is staggering and I really wish Warner would release them as 4.0 BD~As as some of the titles are as illustrious, IMO, as any contained within the Philips/DGG QUAD catalogue.

Ironically, Warner Japan IS releasing some of these Angel/EMI titles as single~layered SACDs in Japan: example: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/WPGS-10002?s_ssid=e322245ad81acb7f91

I do own a few of these and they do sound gorgeous and perhaps should try decoding them via DSP on my pre/pro as they were SQ encoded. AFAIK, ALL Angel SQ encoded QUAD LPs were single inventory releases.

*Oops, Pentatone already released this as a QUAD SACD https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=10478

BTW, ubertrout just noticed this tidbit of news right about YOUR comment at HRAudio.net in reference to Steinberg's BD~A. John Proffitt states that Steinberg did a QUAD recording with the BSO of Bruckner's 8th for the BSO Transcription Trust. Ah, a perfect companion piece to the Hindemith, IMO. https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=9535#comments [at very bottom of page...comment #13]

Last edited:
Mine arrived yesterday and I gave it a spin last night:

1. Fidelity is great.
2. Rears are mostly echoes of the hall as has been pointed out so nothing discreet going on behind you. It's good though. Better than nothing and you can always switch to the stereo track if you want.
3. The booklet provides an interesting read.
4. Overall: An enjoyable listen.

Crikey, James Horner definitely drew on Mars for his Aliens score, eh (and about 3 of his other scores which stand out as very Aliens-esque). Not a complaint, just an observation (the Aliens score is awesome and makes the movie even better).

This one is blowing me away! Recorded when? Irrelevant because it’s just that good. Love the BIG AMBIENCE too! The Fidelity is incredible, and the music has mid tone warmth, deep accurate bass and high end sparkle. Pretty perfect. Favorite planets are all of them except Mars. Stand out is Jupiter. Hope they release more like this.

Universal today announced the release of
Leonard Bernstein, Marilyn Horne: Bizet Carmen July 6, 2018 (DG) Released just before the Bernstein Centenary, this seminal 1970s recording comes in a hardback book with libretto, in as-yet-unheard 4-channel surround sound.

George Solti: Wagner: Tannhäuser August 10, 2018 (Decca) Georg Solti’s recordings of Wagner’s great operas are among the most thrilling experiences on record. Solti’s legendary recording of Tannhäuser is now available in 5.1 Surround Sound, mastered at 24-bit/96kHz

They say that the Holst: The Planets/R.Strauss: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Steinberg/BSO) [CD/Blu-Ray Audio Combo] 2018 is back-ordered at the moment.

Universal today announced the release of
Leonard Bernstein, Marilyn Horne: Bizet Carmen July 6, 2018 (DG) Released just before the Bernstein Centenary, this seminal 1970s recording comes in a hardback book with libretto, in as-yet-unheard 4-channel surround sound.

George Solti: Wagner: Tannhäuser August 10, 2018 (Decca) Georg Solti’s recordings of Wagner’s great operas are among the most thrilling experiences on record. Solti’s legendary recording of Tannhäuser is now available in 5.1 Surround Sound, mastered at 24-bit/96kHz

They say that the Holst: The Planets/R.Strauss: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Steinberg/BSO) [CD/Blu-Ray Audio Combo] 2018 is back-ordered at the moment.

Kal, Regarding Bizet's Carmen conducted by Leonard Bernstein: It was released last year as part of Pentatone's RQR remastered series on mch SACD [engineered by Thomas Mowrey]: https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=10435

Back