The Planets / Also sprach Zarathustra (1971) Quadraphonic Blu-ray Audio from DG

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Universal today announced the release of
Leonard Bernstein, Marilyn Horne: Bizet Carmen July 6, 2018 (DG) Released just before the Bernstein Centenary, this seminal 1970s recording comes in a hardback book with libretto, in as-yet-unheard 4-channel surround sound.

George Solti: Wagner: Tannhäuser August 10, 2018 (Decca) Georg Solti’s recordings of Wagner’s great operas are among the most thrilling experiences on record. Solti’s legendary recording of Tannhäuser is now available in 5.1 Surround Sound, mastered at 24-bit/96kHz

They say that the Holst: The Planets/R.Strauss: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Steinberg/BSO) [CD/Blu-Ray Audio Combo] 2018 is back-ordered at the moment.
Really! Interesting-ish about the Solti Wagner. I'll keep an eye out for it.

I've been trying to only buy opera on BD-V, because the visual element is so important, but I might make an exception here. Has Universal been including libretti onscreen with these discs, or would that be too obvious?

I've been trying to only buy opera on BD-V, because the visual element is so important, but I might make an exception here.
My preference is to not watch the video or just buy audio-only releases. I find that the visual aspects distract me from total attention to the music and, if I buy BD-V, I turn off the video after the first play.

Has Universal been including libretti onscreen with these discs, or would that be too obvious?
Dunno yet. Won't have them until next week.

My preference is to not watch the video or just buy audio-only releases. I find that the visual aspects distract me from total attention to the music and, if I buy BD-V, I turn off the video after the first play.
Totally agree, splits my already limited attention and brain power ☺

ooooohh....
gottafindajob
gottafindajob
gottafindajob
gottafindajob
gottafindajob

Hopefully. it will be the first of many!

EDIT: Steinberg's Beethoven Box Set recorded on Magnetic Film (Command Records) was one of my early introductions to Ludwig's ouvre !!!! AND I still have the LPs!!!
Someone liked my post here and it reminded me of this thread. DG finally reissued Steinberg's Beethoven cycle recorded for Command on CD: Steinberg & Pittsburgh’s Classic Beethoven Symphonies - Classics Today

Someone liked my post here and it reminded me of this thread. DG finally reissued Steinberg's Beethoven cycle recorded for Command on CD: Steinberg & Pittsburgh’s Classic Beethoven Symphonies - Classics Today

Sound wise, sounds like a VERY mixed bag even though they were recorded at the time on 35mm magnetic film. Especially distressing is the portion of the 9th transferred from a needledrop of an LP due to missing masters.

Still a landmark recording and I wonder if DGG will eventually release it on LOSSLESS BD~A?

Steinberg2

Sound wise, sounds like a VERY mixed bag even though they were recorded at the time on 35mm magnetic film. Especially distressing is the portion of the 9th transferred from a needledrop of an LP due to missing masters.

Still a landmark recording and I wonder if DGG will eventually release it on LOSSLESS BD~A?

Steinberg2
Would be nice, but I'd rather they got to his Brahms and other recordings for Command.

Still, I'd buy it anyway. And if they released a Complete William Steinberg on DG set that included the Command recordings and the 3 Boston Albums, including the Planets / Zarathustra in Quad and adding the Hindemith in Quad? I'd pay a premium for that one.

Back