The Police in Surround???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are differences between the DTS-CD, SACD and DVD - see this thread: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ERY-BREATH-YOU-TAKE-(THE-CLASSICS)-SACD/page2 and Adam's (fredblue) post there shows track numbers.

Also discussion on sonics....

I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding here. Fredblue lists the track differences (two extra tracks on the SACD vs the DTS CD and extra video content on the DVD) but didn't mention any mix differences.

Hi Mike please note the 'and' in my quoted post (and missing words relevant to audio differences). I was trying to say that review thread mentions audio differences and fredblue shows track difference.

I own all hi Rez of The Police. After I did a little popping in of discs I recommend this.
The 5.1 DTS Every Breath You Take is inferior to the SHM SACD's in stereo. Sometimes 5.1 is horrible and stereo is great.

I own all hi Rez of The Police. After I did a little popping in of discs I recommend this.
The 5.1 DTS Every Breath You Take is inferior to the SHM SACD's in stereo. Sometimes 5.1 is horrible and stereo is great.

I only have their debut on SACD. Gott DAYUMM, it smokes. Sounds absolutely killer. Sure, I wish it were in surround, but stereo is still an enjoyable artform...

In an new interview with Andy Summers over on SDE, he is asked about 5.1 mixes:

Would you be interested in 5.1 surround sound mixes of the albums? Steven Wilson has been doing excellent versions of those for some of your contemporaries, such as Ultravox and Tears For Fears.

These offers come down the pipe, the record label saying: “We’d like to make it sound like this!” We’ve done some of them. We’ve been remastered at half-speed, or something. It’s very collector-y stuff, and it’s not why I do this. 5.1 surround sound? I couldn’t care less. I’m happy with mono recordings [laughs]. If people want us to do it and the people we trust think it’s a good idea then, sure, send it to me and I’ll see if it works. I’ve noticed the scene has become about vinyl again – double vinyl, super heavy vinyl, half-tracked speed or whatever it’s called. OK, fine. It doesn’t change the music, but I know you collector-y people want this stuff.

There's some other interesting chatter about forthcoming catalog reissues including a 4-disc version of Regatta de Blanc. He also mentions that Robert Fripp has acquired the rights to the two albums that they made together and plans to reissue them in the near future. We know Fripp is surround-friendly, and those two albums could be good candidates for a 5.1 mix. Fingers crossed!

In an new interview with Andy Summers over on SDE, he is asked about 5.1 mixes:

Would you be interested in 5.1 surround sound mixes of the albums? Steven Wilson has been doing excellent versions of those for some of your contemporaries, such as Ultravox and Tears For Fears.

These offers come down the pipe, the record label saying: “We’d like to make it sound like this!” We’ve done some of them. We’ve been remastered at half-speed, or something. It’s very collector-y stuff, and it’s not why I do this. 5.1 surround sound? I couldn’t care less. I’m happy with mono recordings [laughs]. If people want us to do it and the people we trust think it’s a good idea then, sure, send it to me and I’ll see if it works. I’ve noticed the scene has become about vinyl again – double vinyl, super heavy vinyl, half-tracked speed or whatever it’s called. OK, fine. It doesn’t change the music, but I know you collector-y people want this stuff.

There's some other interesting chatter about forthcoming catalog reissues including a 4-disc version of Regatta de Blanc. He also mentions that Robert Fripp has acquired the rights to the two albums that they made together and plans to reissue them in the near future. We know Fripp is surround-friendly, and those two albums could be good candidates for a 5.1 mix. Fingers crossed!

Since SO MANY of Sting's solo projects have been released with MUCH SUCCESS in DVD~A/SACD/DTS 5.1, surprised he doesn't have more sway in the future remixing in surround of the POLICE catalogue!

See the source image

STUNG by the 5.1 BUG 🐝

Last edited:
The Police have been good about surround in the past. They did a great job IMHO with their “Greatest Hits” SACD and DTS release.

In general, it can be awkward looking back at the music one created decades ago. And every format offers a unique way of experiencing music. It would be interesting to know how different musicians experience music now. But these days, home theater gear is more common. As a musician, my advice is to do all the formats available out there, if you care about music. And yes, that includes Mono.

The Police have been good about surround in the past. They did a great job IMHO with their “Greatest Hits” SACD and DTS release.

In general, it can be awkward looking back at the music one created decades ago. And every format offers a unique way of experiencing music. It would be interesting to know how different musicians experience music now. But these days, home theater gear is more common. As a musician, my advice is to do all the formats available out there, if you care about music. And yes, that includes Mono.

TOTALLY AGREE that A&M/Universal's POLICE'S 'GREATEST HITS" on Multi~CH SACD 5.1 PLAYED AT LOUD VOLUME Sounds FANTASTIC. I also have the DTS 5.1 version, but, IMO, if you can still find the SACD ...... GRAB IT! Like the Carpenter's SINGLES collection on 5.1 SACD, Universal nailed it with the Police GH Multi~CH SACD.

The question arises, did the A&M Police MULTI TRACKS survive the Universal Fire in 2007? We know the fate of those Carpenter multis, but have we learned the fate of those Police Multi Tracks? Since they're a British Band, hopefully multi track masters still survive in the UK!

The question arises, did the A&M Police MULTI TRACKS survive the Universal Fire in 2007? We know the fate of those Carpenter multis, but have we learned the fate of those Police Multi Tracks? Since they're a British Band, hopefully multi track masters still survive in the UK!
Didn't it recently come out that Universal lost WAY more masters and multitracks than they were saying? 😧

TOTALLY AGREE that A&M/Universal's POLICE'S 'GREATEST HITS" on Multi~CH SACD 5.1 PLAYED AT LOUD VOLUME Sounds FANTASTIC. I also have the DTS 5.1 version, but, IMO, if you can still find the SACD ...... GRAB IT! Like the Carpenter's SINGLES collection on 5.1 SACD, Universal nailed it with the Police GH Multi~CH SACD.

Do you mean - "Every Breath You Take (The Classics)" SACD?

Ha, I still need to play mine, probably had it for a year+ now :oops:

Didn't it recently come out that Universal lost WAY more masters and multitracks than they were saying? 😧
According to Scott Davies in his FAQ section on the Rubellan Remasters Website, Universal losing a lot of those Multi-tracks in the fire was overblown. I won’t quote him here but I’ll leave a link. He talks about it towards the end of the page.

FAQ | Rubellan Remasters

Every Breath You Take , The Police Classics Videos ...was also made available as a DTS/DD 5.1 DVD.

One unique aspect of the DVD was that it had the original version of "Da Do , DA, DA."

Anyway , just thought I'd mention this for all you fans of "The Police" .

According to SDE, The Police's old home video Around the World is getting reissued in various formats (vinyl, CD, DVD, Blu-ray in various combinations). The video is supposed to have a 5.1 soundtrack. Not holding my breath for a mix that's anything like Hell Freezes Over, but I will happily buy the Blu-ray/CD combo, especially since the CD has a dozen previously unreleased live performances of the band in their prime.

CD track list:

1. Walking On The Moon – Live from Kyoto
  2. Next To You – Live from Kyoto
  3. Deathwish – Live from Kyoto
  4. So Lonely – Live from Kyoto
  5. Can’t Stand Losing You – Live from Kyoto
  6. Truth Hits Everybody – Live from Kyoto
  7. Visions Of The Night – Live from Hammersmith
  8. Roxanne – Live from Hammersmith
  9. Intro
  10. Born In The 50’s – Live from Hong Kong
  11. Message In A Bottle – Live from Hong Kong
  12. Bring On The Night – Live from Hong Kong

blu-ray_spread1200_crop.jpg

According to SDE, The Police's old home video Around the World is getting reissued in various formats (vinyl, CD, DVD, Blu-ray in various combinations). The video is supposed to have a 5.1 soundtrack. Not holding my breath for a mix that's anything like Hell Freezes Over, but I will happily buy the Blu-ray/CD combo, especially since the CD has a dozen previously unreleased live performances of the band in their prime.

CD track list:

1. Walking On The Moon – Live from Kyoto
  2. Next To You – Live from Kyoto
  3. Deathwish – Live from Kyoto
  4. So Lonely – Live from Kyoto
  5. Can’t Stand Losing You – Live from Kyoto
  6. Truth Hits Everybody – Live from Kyoto
  7. Visions Of The Night – Live from Hammersmith
  8. Roxanne – Live from Hammersmith
  9. Intro
  10. Born In The 50’s – Live from Hong Kong
  11. Message In A Bottle – Live from Hong Kong
  12. Bring On The Night – Live from Hong Kong

blu-ray_spread1200_crop.jpg
I just saw this and I am curious. I am not familiar with it (I have only become a fan in the last 10-15 years) but it appears from the description that the video is not a concert video, but instead a documentary - is that correct? Sounds like they went to great pains to restore and upgrade the video quality.

I just saw this and I am curious. I am not familiar with it (I have only become a fan in the last 10-15 years) but it appears from the description that the video is not a concert video, but instead a documentary - is that correct? Sounds like they went to great pains to restore and upgrade the video quality.

Yes, it is a documentary that does include some performance clips. It's been decades since I've seen it. The title refers to the fact they played in some parts of the world where western rock acts typically didn't perform (Egypt, Hong Kong, etc...). Hopefully this is the start of some reissue activity from the band that will eventually lead to some surround mixes.

Back