The Quadcast - a youtube channel about quadraphonic and 5.1 sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyOfQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
My two big hobbies are quadraphonic sound, and internet broadcasting, and so for a while I've been thinking about combining the two somehow. Well, when it was announced that Universal was claiming the Six Wives of Henry VIII dvd-a used the master tape, and it was very obviously to me that wasn't the case, that kind of inspired me to finally do this idea, in the form of a youtube channel, which would allow me to gather my sources, do some comparison to easily prove just what's on the dvd-a, and also do a little bit of comparison of the various sources of this album to determine what's the best way to listen to this, and also kind of do a review of the dvd-a release as well.

This actually was a little more difficult than I was expecting. I normally do live internet streaming, but pre-recording a show with a specific idea in mind and wanting to cover a topic in an organized manner, and make it flow nicely, was much more difficult than I thought....I'm not sure the episode came out as i was expecting, but like many things, I'm sure this will get better as I get into more of a flow with more episodes.

I'm not sure how frequent these will be. I've got a lot of other things going on, between converting and 3 other internet shows, there's so little time...but I've been wanting to cut back on the other shows, and am hoping to wrap up one of them at least, and cut down on the other, to have more time to devote to this. Maybe for now it'll be once a month, or every other week...we'll see, I still have to come up with an idea for episode 2.

I'm also open to suggestions for future episodes of this show. I'm not planning to do in depth analysis of various versions of the same album every episode, anything relating to quad and surround sound is fair game, album reviews, discussion about equipment, converting techniques.....so throw out your suggestions, if you want to see it covered, I can try to plan an episode about it.

Anyways, here's the first episode, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1OA81R41_0

What an awesome video AoQ....

Great to see the 4 (surround) versions of the album analyzed.

As a suggestion, I'd love to see a Surround Master decode compared to SQ/II and a Tate decode. :eek:

Let us know when you post your next episode... (y)

Jonathan,

It looks great! You did a great job and explained it all well. Hopefully, Universal checks it out! :)

Nice job! It's quite striking to hear the degree of separation in the CD4 and Q8 versions. I'm sure I would have much better enjoyed the mix had the DVD-A been sourced from one of them. Thanks for the detailed analysis!

You now have a New Subscriber....................Snood :banana:

Will be watching these at work when Snood should be working, but not :rolleyes:

You now have a New Subscriber....................Snood :banana:

Will be watching these at work when Snood should be working, but not :rolleyes:

Guys make sure ya thumbs up this if ya like it :banana:

Thank You Army :smokin

It is discreet the whole tape. Maybe it didn't seem that way since the first song was the only one I really demonstrated the difference by isolating the front by itself and the rear by itself.

Very informative and enjoyable! Dark Side Of The Moon seems ripe for the same treatment, and might well attract more viewers to your channel and to quad. There are multiple versions with a variety of technical and mixing differences. Make sure you include the unofficial HiRez 4.0 version.

Convinced me not to buy that release due to the questionable quad - Thank You

Convinced me not to buy that release due to the questionable quad - Thank You
Now imagine they issue a second batch with the CD-4 version.

I'd guess this release has sold well just for the stereo/HiRes remaster, so one can dream.

I'm a bit curious about how people are listening to this, because I've found a possibility, and have concerns, and want to see how beneficial it would be. Upon investigation, I've found out that youtube does actually support 5.1 surround playback, so I can make these episodes contain surround sound. It would seem a bit foolish to have a youtube channel discussing surround sound without utilizing these capabilities. But, on the other hand, I want to make sure that the episodes stay stereo friendly, since I figure only a small minority are watching them on a 5.1 setup, if any. But, it seems that the 5.1 playback options are increasing with things like smart TVs and newer equipment having the ability to playback online materials without having to actually use a computer.

And then I have the concern of, just how do I create a 5.1 episode, and keep it stereo friendly? I suppose if instead of routing the fronts to the left and backs to the right when demonstrating things, I focus more on just isolating the fronts or the backs to point out things, that would be stereo and 5.1 friendly. But then, how do I actually create the 5.1 soundtrack? My board can do 5.1, but I'd have to move around a bunch of wires and change a bunch of settings, and then change them all back when doing my normal streaming, so that would complicate things.

Anyways, what I'm leaning towards at this point is to continue recording the episodes in stereo, but then when editing the episodes I put in samples of the things I'm discussing in 5.1 to allow a little bit of preview in 5.1. Which, might be weird to hear a sample in surround, and then it goes to me discussing things and the sound is stereo....but I think it works, and is the best compromise.

But, I still am curious, how many people out there will benefit from my doing this, how many out there are watching youtube clips on their 5.1 system?

I watched in stereo - but I can (and will) watch at home in surround via my PC hooked up to my receiver. (y)

I guess its a personal thing, as much of preference as it is circumstance?

Personally I can view YT vids on my Mac Mini (which is hooked up to my AVR) in 5.1.. but due to a combination of laptop problems and me being on the go a lot the sheer convenience of mobile means I do most stuff on my phone and tablet these days.. for instance I watched your superb YT broadcast in stereo late the other night in bed via headphones - and the way you utilised L & R stereo for Front & Back stereo worked perfectly.. so to sum up I guess I'd be very happy if you continued to produce your podcasts of Quad comparisons etc in stereo, if it makes life easier for you its easier for me than the 5.1 playback route! Please do keep it up, it was the most worthwhile 1/2 hour I've spent on YT that I can remember! :)

Most of SNoods You tubeing is on PC or on phone at work when Snood should be working, but isn't :banana:

Back