The QuadraphonicQuad Automotive & Driving Enthusiast Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my wife's ride as we finished up a garage rehab
We also have a Sprinter van & I'm deep in scheming that as another place to put a surround system

Attachments

• IMG_4162.jpeg
    IMG_4162.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I has a round with a rental 2020 Corolla while mine was in the shop. I did not like it:

- No CD player. No way to use recorded music. Only AM/FM radio and pay satellite radio. But there was a container in the center console to store CDs in. Why?

- I kept having to refer to the book of rules to find out what some control or indicator was.

- The gear selector had P R N D B. What's B? The book of rules said it was an engine braking position. Shades of the 57 Chevy with the Gr position.

- I kept reaching for a brake handle that wasn't there. The parking brake was electric.

- The wiper controls were exactly backward to the ones on my car.

- It had a CV transmission - no winter weather mode. I'm glad it wasn't winter. Those are notorious for choosing the lowest gears and spinning the wheels.

- It had a device that recognized STOP, YIELD, and SPEED LIMIT road signs and displayed the last one it saw. But it did NOT recognize school zone speed signs and speed signs for construction zones.

- It had a backup camera. It looked like objects were farther away on the screen than they really were. The mirrors were inadequate for merging on a freeway and the camera did not work when driving forward.

- It kept giving me warning beeps, but there was no explanation on any display of what they were for. They seemed to be traffic related.

I remember when I could get into a car and easily find all of the controls.

Last edited:
I has a round with a rental 2020 Corolla I did not like while mine was in the shop:

- No CD player. No way to use recorded music. Only AM/FM radio and pay satellite radio. But there was a container in the center console to store CDs in.

- I kept having to refer to the book of rules to find out what some control or indicator was.

- It had a CV transmission - no winter weather mode. I'm glad it wasn't winter. Those are notorious for choosing the lowest gears and spinning the wheels.

- It had a device that recognized STOP, YIELD, and SPEED LIMIT road signs and displayed the last one it saw. But it did NOT recognize school zone speed signs and speed signs for construction zones.

- It had a backup camera. It looked like objects were farther away on the screen than they really were.

- It kept giving me warning beeps, but there was no explanation on any display of what they were for. They seemed to be traffic related.
I had the same experience when I had to use a Sentra rental a few months ago. No CD player is the norm now days. One of the reasons I have held onto my 2012 vehicle. The device that recognizes signs is a camera. When you first start driving the indicator is blank until it encounters the first sign it is programmed to recognize. The beeps you were hearing might have been if you drift left or right in your lane and come too close to line. Don't want you veering into the other lane while you are looking at a text on your smart phone.

Did the rental have the keep the fob in your pocket and start the car with a button? My new car has that and I still try to put a key in the ignition.

Did the rental have the keep the fob in your pocket and start the car with a button? My new car has that and I still try to put a key in the ignition.
Yep, and it feels so unfulfilling when you're used to turning a key.
On the plus side you can't lock your key fob in the car.
:)

I had the same experience when I had to use a Sentra rental a few months ago. No CD player is the norm now days. One of the reasons I have held onto my 2012 vehicle. The device that recognizes signs is a camera. When you first start driving the indicator is blank until it encounters the first sign it is programmed to recognize. The beeps you were hearing might have been if you drift left or right in your lane and come too close to line. Don't want you veering into the other lane while you are looking at a text on your smart phone.
Then maybe it was confused by the construction zone. They left the old lines in place and used barrels to direct where traffic actually goes.

There are also places where the straight-ahead traffic is moved to the right at intersections. Before reaching those points the driver is directly approaching left-turning traffic in the opposite direction.

Mine is a 2012 also.

I guess you could say I'm a car guy because my dad was he had some great rides,he was a tool and die maker for Hyster company.I was able to take my drivers exam in his 63 Chev SS 409 what a sweet car.He traded a 56 Nomad for a 54 Corvette straight across with one of the guys in the tool room at his work.I have owned a 68 Firebird 400 a 73 240Z and couple of Trans Ams one was a turbo model the fun cars went away when the kids came along,they are all grown up now so it's back to fun stuff I tool around in an Eclipse GT ragtop these days,it has a 650w Rockfort Fosgate system with a factory SW and doesn't sound too bad.

Attachments

• 19023474_10212905959108571_327328647431431121_o.jpg
    19023474_10212905959108571_327328647431431121_o.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back