The QuadraphonicQuad Craft Beer/Microbrew thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow...Blackout Friday huh....geeze...I had a lot of those "back in the day"....is that the beer drinkers answer to Black Friday sales?
I put two of my friends down for the count so yeah, guess so. Started them with a taste of Glenmorangie 18 and then moved on to the vertical and some beers we wanted to try. Pizza, Espresso, designated drivers ... good times.

15.2% and a full pint which makes the price a little more acceptable. It ages really well but if you only have the one, no time like the present to try it.
There are plenty of similiar bourbon aged stouts that are much more readily available; not to mention most areas in the US have decent breweries close by.
Weyerbacher from PA make solid stouts.
Founders and Dark Horse from MI.
BrewDog (now from OH), Seventh Son, Hoppin' Frog, Jackie O's (OH).
18th Street Brewery (Indy)
Dogfishhead from DE although I am afraid some of their recent offerings are priced higher than the market will continue to support. $32 for a 4 pack of World Wide Stout when I can buy a like quality ale for almost a third of the price ...
Firestone Walker (CA)
you get the idea, plenty of good beers and yes, I brew and hate IPAs. Mother Nature made bitter a sign not to eat a berry, why drink it?

We get Dogfish here in Central IL. No worries there. I have to say that I've been drinking beer since 1977 and while I love all the IPA's, etc....I am so damn tired of 80% of the brews on the shelf are some sort of mega hoppy, mega citrus........those are so over populated now. I just want a well crafted micro brew, with high quality ingredients....that doesn't have any fruit. I want, a basic brew that has superior ingredients, therefore, tastes better. Where the hell did those go???
Dogfish's brewpub is a few hours away by the beachfront, and I really enjoyed visiting it. I agree that I'm not a fan of overhopped IPAs but they had a nice mix available, including many they don't bottle. They also make a good cheese using their 60 minute IPA, and make a good mac and cheese in turn with it.

I've found I really like a lot that comes from Firestone Walker, especially their Easy Jack IPA. A lot of taste without the intense bitterness of some IPAs. And while I don't generally love fruity beers, I did enjoy the Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin.

Okay, I guess I'll be the first to 'break the seal' on being a cheap bastard beer drinker, but I prefer to pay as little as possible to get what I would consider a good quality decent beer. I've been drinking mostly Yuengling Lager for the last couple of years. I can get it for $1 per pint at my local grocery and convenient stores. 9 pints equals exactly 12 12oz beers, so that's $9 for a standard 12 pack! That's cheaper than most rot-gut garbage beer, but it has a great full bodied good ol' fashion beer flavor. I actually prefer it to a lot of more fancy beers, plus I'm a poor cheap bastard. :)

Yuengling is not bad. I try not to judge for people's tastes in beer, same as music. Also, I saw Dogfish Head mentioned. I love their beer and we get their stuff regularly out here in Oregon. We are spoiled in Portland (nicknamed Beervana) because of the high concentration of amazing craft beer around here. I've traveled all over the country for work and play, and I've found great beer in lots of places, but there's nowhere else like Portland for the sheer quantity of high quality craft beer.

We get Dogfish here in Central IL. No worries there. I have to say that I've been drinking beer since 1977 and while I love all the IPA's, etc....I am so damn tired of 80% of the brews on the shelf are some sort of mega hoppy, mega citrus........those are so over populated now. I just want a well crafted micro brew, with high quality ingredients....that doesn't have any fruit. I want, a basic brew that has superior ingredients, therefore, tastes better. Where the hell did those go???
I'm afraid that the PNW is largely to blame for the mega hoppy trend. It started here. I hate it myself too. I gravitate towards low IBU beers. My suggestion is for you to find breweries around you that focus more on German style beers. They tend to be not hoppy or bitter and also not have the more fruit focused stuff like Belgian styles can have.

Yuengling is not bad. I try not to judge for people's tastes in beer, same as music. Also, I saw Dogfish Head mentioned. I love their beer and we get their stuff regularly out here in Oregon. We are spoiled in Portland (nicknamed Beervana) because of the high concentration of amazing craft beer around here. I've traveled all over the country for work and play, and I've found great beer in lots of places, but there's nowhere else like Portland for the sheer quantity of high quality craft beer.

I'm afraid that the PNW is largely to blame for the mega hoppy trend. It started here. I hate it myself too. I gravitate towards low IBU beers. My suggestion is for you to find breweries around you that focus more on German style beers. They tend to be not hoppy or bitter and also not have the more fruit focused stuff like Belgian styles can have.
Don't get me wrong, I like hoppy beers.....it's just that the market is totally saturated with them. I just want more variety. Not more varieties of IPA.... :)

Ooh boy, the beer thread over at the other place is probably where most of my posts are heheh! I guess I'll have to start cross-posting some of that stuff here.

I really enjoy a lot of different styles but do gravitate towards the hop-bombs these days....can't be too hoppy for me. After that, lately it's been the sours and gose. For years I just never had the taste for really dark malty stuff but now I also enjoy those porters and stouts when the mood hits too.

I'm pretty lucky here where I am - for a city this size we've got dozens of excellent micro-breweries, and even become somewhat of a "beer destination" town. Four years (2013-2016 IIRC) in a row Abq breweries won the national IPA championship and several breweries here have medals from GABF and other major events.

We're also into home-brew - Mrs Doppelbock is the head brewer and I'm the assistant (mostly meaning I clean up when she's done). She's a VP with one of the local clubs and has won couple medals at the local home-brew competitions. Had planned on brewing a stout last weekend as both taps in the kegerator got "used up" recently when we had some extra company over, but bad coughs and colds nixed that idea...will have to wait until later.

Great idea for a thread. I read a board for my favorite college basketball team (UConn Huskies, in case anyone cares) and they have a lot of "Off-Topic" threads, just to keep things interesting, and I keep thinking we should do that here.

I am fortunate enough to live in New England, home of some of the best craft brewers out there. Treehouse, Lawson's, The Alchemist to name a few. New England style IPA is my favorite style and there are literally hundreds of great variations out there.

I'll recommend one for starters:

Haze, by Treehouse.
https://www.treehousebrew.com/haze/

Enjoy!
Treehouse has $1000's of my dollars and I have nothing to show for it except a more pronounced waistline. It's like crack cocaine for beer lovers.

We have a place out here called Total Wine. It’s roughly the size of a small Best Buy Store (is there such a thing?). Half the store is wine and the other half is hard liquor, followed by beer (domestic and import). I get their specials each week via email. About a week before Black Friday, they’re advertising the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout that would be available that day. I thought that it sounded like something I would like to try. So, I go in there and spend about 15 minutes looking all over for this new beer. I couldn’t find it. I even had a vendor helping me. We looked in the new beer release section and it wasn’t there. Don’t tell me they’re sold out?! I kept asking myself. I really wanted to try it and was expecting a six-pack. I go up to customer service and I start telling this lady what I was looking for. I wasn’t halfway finished when she bends over behind the counter, out of sight. I thought to myself, that’s rude...when all of a sudden she pops back up with this one bottle and hands it to me. First question out of my mouth was, is that it?! She tells me that it’s only one per customer. I go to get in line, the whole time thinking, I came over here for this? Saying MF to myself and laughing on the inside. As I was standing there holding that bottle, I thought, this must be some pretty special beer. She rings me up at $12.99, and again, I had that WTF moment. I get outside and into my car, pull out the bottle and start reading it. As I sat there reading the alcohol content on the bottle, I about shit my pants. 15.2%. Needless to say, I’m afraid to open it. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 36914
View attachment 36915

I bought a similar beer (actually 2) of the before mentioned Dogfish and their elusive first edition 120 Minute IPA. It was a few years old, but that aged well, to the point it was about 24% alcohol. Now with the amount of money I spent, I sipped and swished every last drop of that beer! But I will admit it wasn't my favorite. It was too rich, not beer enough, almost like a wine or weak weird flavored liquor. Oh well, live and learn.

A line at Treehouse this past summer. This is not the end of the line...
IMG_6361.JPG

From Wisconsin where we have tons of great microbreweries (and the land of the really really old breweries as well: Leinenkugels, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Miller, etc!) I love trying new stuff from all around and loved recently sipping a Dog Fish Bitches Brew while listening to the Quad version! There is a place in Milwaukee called Lake Front Brewery that every Black Friday makes a limited edition brew that sells out within hours. Here is info on this year's: https://fox6now.com/2018/11/23/we-e...ack-friday-beers-🍺-attract-thousands-of-fans/

Attachments

• Bitches Brew.jpg
    Bitches Brew.jpg
    905.4 KB · Views: 126
From Wisconsin where we have tons of great microbreweries (and the land of the really really old breweries as well: Leinenkugels, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Miller, etc!) I love trying new stuff from all around and loved recently sipping a Dog Fish Bitches Brew while listening to the Quad version! There is a place in Milwaukee called Lake Front Brewery that every Black Friday makes a limited edition brew that sells out within hours. Here is info on this year's: https://fox6now.com/2018/11/23/we-eat-and-come-down-for-the-beer-lakefront-brewerys-black-friday-beers-🍺-attract-thousands-of-fans/

Damn, I want one, but it's probably sold out I take it.

I have heard that Beer companies make so much beer and so many types, that they run out of names. So having a beer with QQ and maybe some notes about Quad can only make more people aware of suround sound. If there's a link where to buy it, they would sell some.

Back