The QuadraphonicQuad Craft Beer/Microbrew thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strilo

Staff member
In this thread we can discuss our favorite craft beers or review/describe craft beers we have recently tried, or beers that are on our radar. Wishlists are also welcome discussion. So anytime you have tried a new beer, please share your thoughts on it, post photos of it. This is a place where all of the beer geeks can share notes, recommendations, Untappd handles, and so on.... Prost!

To start, I will say this past weekend was the Holiday Ale Festival in Portland OR, my all time favorite beer festival. Walking in the door on Thursday evening, I wound up with 32 beers on my list of beers to try. I think that's a record for me. Tons of great stouts, dark ales, Belgians, etc. I went Thursday, Friday all day (family/friends tradition) and Sunday. Sadly I missed trying like 5 beers, as they were out by the time I got to them on Sunday.

Two beers of note, an ongoing favorite is Lord of Misrule (Imperial Milk Stout) from McMenamins. Also, Double Stack from Great Notion was incredible. It was a dark, rich and sweet American Imperial Stout. Fantastic.

Goose Island (now AB-InBev) from Chicago. That is their Thanksgiving release. The Stout is pretty much the original Barrel Aged Stout; the rest follow on.
There is a generally well regarded book on the subject, Barrel-Aged Stout and Selling Out: Goose Island, Anheuser-Busch, and How Craft Beer Became Big Business.
I enjoyed some of the content but was disappointed by the poor writing.

This place...The Dillon Dam Brewery in Dillon, CO:

https://www.dambrewery.com/beer/

I like all of their beers especially the three lite flagship beers. But I usually get the 4 beer sampler and mix it up. Highly recommended, but just make sure you've acclimated to the altitude of 9100 ft before indulging or you might get the mother of all hangovers...and she won't wait until morning to arrive.

I also did a 7 year vertical of Old Stock Ale (2012-2018) at my place on Blackout Friday with a bunch of friends. At 3 years it hits peak flavor.

Wow...Blackout Friday huh....geeze...I had a lot of those "back in the day"....is that the beer drinkers answer to Black Friday sales?

Great idea for a thread. I read a board for my favorite college basketball team (UConn Huskies, in case anyone cares) and they have a lot of "Off-Topic" threads, just to keep things interesting, and I keep thinking we should do that here.

I am fortunate enough to live in New England, home of some of the best craft brewers out there. Treehouse, Lawson's, The Alchemist to name a few. New England style IPA is my favorite style and there are literally hundreds of great variations out there.

I'll recommend one for starters:

Haze, by Treehouse.
https://www.treehousebrew.com/haze/

Enjoy!

bad256cc7b829b1e09b0e5218c0548a7.jpg

I LOVE BEER! A nice toasty Amber from Alaskan Brewing Company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am an IPA fan as well. I enjoy sampling new ones when I am in different areas, but have rarely found any that i enjoy as much as my local ones. I live in a slightly less populated area so not a whole lot of competition. That being said, the best local brewery is Evolution (or just Evo as it is called here). There are a few others, but most notably is Dogfish Head. Not sure how widespread any recognition goes, but figured I would throw out a few names. Evo is more conservative and has a stable of a stout, red, ale, and a few IPAs, with some seasonal stuff thrown in. Dogfish is constantly putting out some new variety, with some interesting flavors. They have been around a bit longer with a bigger base so they have the budget to play. It does make for a great excuse to drink, having to try new releases! There are several others I really enjoy from my state of Maryland. It would be cool if we could swap beers from different parts of the world to share our favorites, but not sure how practical that is. If you come across one, feel free to ask and maybe I can give my suggestions as to what is best.

I am an IPA fan as well. I enjoy sampling new ones when I am in different areas, but have rarely found any that i enjoy as much as my local ones. I live in a slightly less populated area so not a whole lot of competition. That being said, the best local brewery is Evolution (or just Evo as it is called here). There are a few others, but most notably is Dogfish Head. Not sure how widespread any recognition goes, but figured I would throw out a few names. Evo is more conservative and has a stable of a stout, red, ale, and a few IPAs, with some seasonal stuff thrown in. Dogfish is constantly putting out some new variety, with some interesting flavors. They have been around a bit longer with a bigger base so they have the budget to play. It does make for a great excuse to drink, having to try new releases! There are several others I really enjoy from my state of Maryland. It would be cool if we could swap beers from different parts of the world to share our favorites, but not sure how practical that is. If you come across one, feel free to ask and maybe I can give my suggestions as to what is best.
We get Dogfish here in Central IL. No worries there. I have to say that I've been drinking beer since 1977 and while I love all the IPA's, etc....I am so damn tired of 80% of the brews on the shelf are some sort of mega hoppy, mega citrus........those are so over populated now. I just want a well crafted micro brew, with high quality ingredients....that doesn't have any fruit. I want, a basic brew that has superior ingredients, therefore, tastes better. Where the hell did those go???

We get Dogfish here in Central IL. No worries there. I have to say that I've been drinking beer since 1977 and while I love all the IPA's, etc....I am so damn tired of 80% of the brews on the shelf are some sort of mega hoppy, mega citrus........those are so over populated now. I just want a well crafted micro brew, with high quality ingredients....that doesn't have any fruit. I want, a basic brew that has superior ingredients, therefore, tastes better. Where the hell did those go???

The damned millenials ruined it! They ruin everything we love!

And my favorite dogfish is the 90 Minute IPA. Which is just a plain, extra hopped higher alcohol IPA.

The damned millenials ruined it! They ruin everything we love!

And my favorite dogfish is the 90 Minute IPA. Which is just a plain, extra hopped higher alcohol IPA.
Yeah, that's a good one. I mean, there are so many great brews.....only the shelves are now stocked with watermelon flavored beer, lemon beer.....ugh. I'm so sick and tired of sifting through all those. Just give me a dense beer, that tastes like beer. I want to taste the grain, I want it to be smooth and all that. I don't want Budweiser...but I want a basic lager that is a micro brew that takes it off the charts. All grain beer......don't put freaking lemon peel in the mix. Jeez.....

Goose Island (now AB-InBev) from Chicago. That is their Thanksgiving release. The Stout is pretty much the original Barrel Aged Stout; the rest follow on.
There is a generally well regarded book on the subject, Barrel-Aged Stout and Selling Out: Goose Island, Anheuser-Busch, and How Craft Beer Became Big Business.
I enjoyed some of the content but was disappointed by the poor writing.
We have a place out here called Total Wine. It’s roughly the size of a small Best Buy Store (is there such a thing?). Half the store is wine and the other half is hard liquor, followed by beer (domestic and import). I get their specials each week via email. About a week before Black Friday, they’re advertising the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout that would be available that day. I thought that it sounded like something I would like to try. So, I go in there and spend about 15 minutes looking all over for this new beer. I couldn’t find it. I even had a vendor helping me. We looked in the new beer release section and it wasn’t there. Don’t tell me they’re sold out?! I kept asking myself. I really wanted to try it and was expecting a six-pack. I go up to customer service and I start telling this lady what I was looking for. I wasn’t halfway finished when she bends over behind the counter, out of sight. I thought to myself, that’s rude...when all of a sudden she pops back up with this one bottle and hands it to me. First question out of my mouth was, is that it?! She tells me that it’s only one per customer. I go to get in line, the whole time thinking, I came over here for this? Saying MF to myself and laughing on the inside. As I was standing there holding that bottle, I thought, this must be some pretty special beer. She rings me up at $12.99, and again, I had that WTF moment. I get outside and into my car, pull out the bottle and start reading it. As I sat there reading the alcohol content on the bottle, I about shit my pants. 15.2%. Needless to say, I’m afraid to open it. :ROFLMAO:

image.jpg
image.jpg

Back