The QuadraphonicQuad Craft Beer/Microbrew thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friday at last, home from work.

First off, a share with Mrs D - Elysian "Salt & Seed" watermelon gose (4.3% abv, 10 ibu)...pretty tasty, especially on a very spring-like day here (mid 60's).
[IMG]

Onto something hoppier, La Cumbre "Altimeter" IPA (6.7% abv, 60 ibu)
[IMG]

Beer & Music, nothing better ... especially when it's your own Sunset Wheat homebrew and something off the Blackjazz labels.
Another home-brewer! Welcome!

After grandkids soccer game this afternoon we were close to Ex Novo so decided to stop in for a small glass and maybe some stuff to go - look, they even have parking spot for horses....yup, definitely in Corrales. After a couple samples I went for a light glass of "2020k Gold" hoppy blonde ale (5.7% abv, 40 ibu).
[IMG]

One of the items we got "to go" was a few cans of "Los Novos" michelada (mexican lager with red chile, lime and spices....4.6% abv)...nice little kick and bite from the chile!
[IMG]

Reactions: GOS
Home-brew....getting close to to the end of the keg of prickly pear gose...
[IMG]

A 32oz squealer from Ex Novo..."Fruits & Cats & Fruits & Cats" IPA with grapefruit, pomegranate and tangerine (7.5% abv)
[IMG]

I have a rookie "beer keg at home" question. So, we are doing some remodeling (again) at our house and also putting in a new deck outside. I've always loved the idea of having the ability to have a keg in my garage during the summer.

I'd probably prefer one with a small keg (pony, we used to call them). What do I need to get something going? Also, will the pony keg beer go flat if I don't drink it within a certain period of time?

I have a rookie "beer keg at home" question. So, we are doing some remodeling (again) at our house and also putting in a new deck outside. I've always loved the idea of having the ability to have a keg in my garage during the summer.

I'd probably prefer one with a small keg (pony, we used to call them). What do I need to get something going? Also, will the pony keg beer go flat if I don't drink it within a certain period of time?

If you plan on using your garage you want temperature control....basically a kegerator is the way to go. Most small ones can handle different size kegs easily - our 2 tap one fits 2 5 gallon kegs but we often connect 3 gallon ones too. You keep the keg(s) connected to a Co2 tank for pressure and carbonation, and it ought to stay carbonated almost indefinitely.

You can buy one new, lots of places to choose from online or a home-brew supply shop if you have one close by, or you can buy parts and convert and old mini-fridge if you're of the handy persuasion, or check your local for sale stuff like craigslist - not sure exactly where you are in Illinois or how close to Chicage....but a quick look turns up something like this:
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/hsh/d/chicago-beer-kegerator-mightysale/7088153497.html

I've heard of keg-o-retors.........is that a good price for used?
If in good working order then it is pretty good deal - we bought new (2 tap) and it was about $750 IIRC. If it's out in your garage and it gets really really hot out there then of course it's going to have to work pretty hard to keep cool. Handy thing too - if you just put one keg in you can always use the extra space for bottles, cans, growlers or anything else you keep in a fridge.

Another option is a small chest freezer with a regulator attached to prevent it from freezing, then using a co2 tank and "party tap" on the kegs.

If it comes with the CO2 tank, regulator and lines I don't think it's too bad. You might be able to fit a 5 gallon korny keg in that one, something that should be readly available at your local beer store. Just make sure that you have the right keg connector for the CO2 system.

Our kegerator measures 23 1/2 x 23 1/2 x 33 (H) on the outside and fits 2 korny kegs, the co2 tank and regulator, plus room around the sides for cans and bottles. As said above...different keg styles may use different connections but your local home-brew shop should have what you need, or you can buy online.

Trust me - this one does go to 11. 11 percent Red IPA...…..yummy !!View attachment 47323

Had that one a few weeks back....packs a wallop!

Slow week at work for the sales team (feel sorry for them as they work on commissions) but I kept busy with the deliveries of truckloads of cars. Owners decided to shut down a bit early today, normally one of the busiest days but really quiet today....

Supporting the locals, I stopped by Bosque taproom and grabbed a couple more 4-packs of "Scale Tipper" IPA....really taking one for the team here having to drink this 2-time national champ brew....
[IMG]

Had that one a few weeks back....packs a wallop!

Slow week at work for the sales team (feel sorry for them as they work on commissions) but I kept busy with the deliveries of truckloads of cars. Owners decided to shut down a bit early today, normally one of the busiest days but really quiet today....

Supporting the locals, I stopped by Bosque taproom and grabbed a couple more 4-packs of "Scale Tipper" IPA....really taking one for the team here having to drink this 2-time national champ brew....
[IMG]
Support Local ! I'd love to try this one !!!

Back