The QuadraphonicQuad Craft Beer/Microbrew thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've a big mess of assorted curry stuff being prepped for dinner...yum.

Shared a couple cans of Gravity Bound "City Symphony" sour ale with blueberry, raspberry, basil and lime
Gravity-Bound-City-Symphony-Sour-Ale.jpg

and now another round with Bow & Arrow "Moody Hues" hazy IPA
Bow-Arrow-Moody-Hues-NEIPA.jpg

here is some real - in my opinion - shitty beer news

To the Kalamazoo Community and my Bell’s family:

When I first came to Kalamazoo as an ambitious freshman attending Kalamazoo College, I didn’t think I would stay here longer than my education required. I had aspirations to go far, but also had no idea that I would find my life-long passion and home in this city. It is here, in Kalamazoo, that I found my best friends and the hobby that has kept me around for the past four decades: brewing incredible-tasting beer alongside the people and community that I love.

It all started in the basement of my first house on Wheaton Street, which turned into my homebrew shop on Burdick Street, and ultimately grew into the downtown Kalamazoo and Comstock breweries you all visit and love to this day. But just like a stout sitting in a cellar, everything has its time, including me. That is why today, it is immensely exciting – and a little bittersweet – that I am writing to share some important news about the future of Bell’s Brewery.

I have made the decision to retire from the business that I have considered one of my best gifts in life, ever since I was an 18-year-old dreamer. When I started Bell’s, we were called Kalamazoo Brewing Company, a nod to our community’s original brewery that closed in 1915. I wanted to make a brewery that would last longer than us, for generations to come, like the great 500-year-old breweries in Germany – and I believe we have only begun on that path. But to keep Bell’s a strong and stable brewery for generations to come, we need someone to run it with the same energy and passion that I’ve had for these past decades.

That’s why this week, Bell’s finalized a sale agreement that will see us join forces with New Belgium Brewing in Fort Collins, Colorado. By bringing together two of the largest and fastest-growing craft brand families in the country and unifying our companies under a single business model, we’re creating one of the best and largest craft portfolios in the country. Under the terms of the deal, I am selling my stake in Bell's to Lion, who acquired Colorado-based New Belgium in 2019.

As I make this announcement, I want to make two things very clear: First, Bell’s home is – and will remain – in Kalamazoo County. While I fully expect this alignment with New Belgium will result in countless new fans around the country and beyond, we are still a Michigan-based operation brewing (world-class) Michigan beer. Second, our values, our DNA and our dedication to this community will not change. If anything, our belief in positively impacting the world will only be strengthened through our work with New Belgium.

I know the brewery is in good hands. Bell’s and New Belgium are very similar in a lot of ways. We share the same values and commitments to our people, to our communities, and to the quality of our beer. As hard as it is for me to let go, I know I have found in Lion and New Belgium true partners – and beer lovers – who value the Bell’s brand, employees, culture and places we call home.

This was a tough decision to make and one that I did not decide on lightheartedly. During the past six months, I was reminded of all the hard times in our history – times when we were barely making payroll, fighting for distribution rights, passionately advocating for new laws and so forth. But I was also reminded of the memories that I will cherish forever: fans wanting Bell’s beer at their weddings and other once-in-a-lifetime milestones, the clink of the glasses in our pub when our craft brew is raised in celebration, and the love for this company and the team who are at the heart of it all. You wanted to have Oberon at midnight, so we started having release parties. When we brewed Eccentric Ale, you wanted to celebrate, and Eccentric Day was born. Beer needs people to drink it and Bell’s needs you.

It is important to know that much will not change day-to-day for Bell’s. The company will continue to craft the beers you know and love, and our leadership team and staff will remain in place in Comstock/Kalamazoo. The same is true for Upper Hand in Escanaba. What I believe will change, however, is the impact Bell's will be able to have on our local communities and causes, and our ability to introduce more fans to the ‘national’ beer of Michigan.

I know this isn’t all about me. I brewed the beer originally, but it’s what you all did with it that brings us here today. On a personal note, I want to thank the township of Comstock, the city of Kalamazoo, the city of Escanaba, our wonderful employees, and our many fans for all of the love and support you have shown Bell’s. When I founded the company in 1985, I never could have imagined how far we would come. I’m so proud of what we – our team, network, fans and partners – have been able to accomplish together over the last 36+ years. From what began as a personal passion for delicious craft beer and turned into a household name that millions love and enjoy each year, this has been an incredible and profoundly satisfying journey.

In the coming weeks, we expect to provide more information about our future with New Belgium and the opportunities it brings to the table. For more information, I encourage you to visit our website:

Oof. New Belgium has (imho) really gone downhill the last few years - I rarely even bother trying most of their brews these days and I used to quite like a lot of them. I wish him well in his "retirement" from the industry but I really don't think it bodes well for the quality of the product. It happens. Ballast Point made a big splash here and the beer was really good...got bought out, now I never hear anything from them anymore....gone from our market apparently.

and for me....

Home from a work week, may do a short few hours tomorrow too...

Bow & Arrow "Western Flair" Helles lager
[IMG]

La Cumbre "Project Dank - Autumn Edition v2021" IPA
[IMG]

Bow & Arrow "Moody Hues" hazy IPA
[IMG]

Oof. New Belgium has (imho) really gone downhill the last few years - I rarely even bother trying most of their brews these days and I used to quite like a lot of them. I wish him well in his "retirement" from the industry but I really don't think it bodes well for the quality of the product. It happens. Ballast Point made a big splash here and the beer was really good...got bought out, now I never hear anything from them anymore....gone from our market apparently.

I'm with you; New Belgium has rarely impressed me. I have tried more Ballast Point than you can shake a stick at and I have never returned to any of them for a second pint.

trifecta agreement on the New Belgium. Had one or two a while ago --MEH - I see their product in all the Target stores - prolly where they generate their sales volume. Its the Budweiser of Target.....but in a - Target proclaimed - craft beer......so its Target hip and trendy. Larry Bell sold out to the same venue he claimed he never wanted to be !! I have Founders right down the road. They were awesome in 2000 to 2015. Then they sold out. And became Budweiser junior. They are boring and bland as fuck now. The Bells writing is on the wall and the message is not good. Oh well, there are 45 other breweries within 40 miles of my house that I get to support.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOS
I am super "stuck" on hazy IPA at the moment. Moment defined as the last year or so. I try, I really try, to enjoy other beers and always return to HIPA's. Man, just think.......roll back the clock to the late 70's early 80's. I was pounding Michelob bottles then. I was the rebel then, as everyone (friends) said I drank hi-brow beer. lmao

I am super "stuck" on hazy IPA at the moment. Moment defined as the last year or so. I try, I really try, to enjoy other beers and always return to HIPA's. Man, just think.......roll back the clock to the late 70's early 80's. I was pounding Michelob bottles then. I was the rebel then, as everyone (friends) said I drank hi-brow beer. lmao

I went Hazy for awhile because EVERY brewery jumped on the haze craze. There are some really good Hazy / Cloudy / Fuzzy / New Englands out there. But I have returned to my roots of good , strong , bitter IPA / DIPA/ TIPA and Quads ( when I can find them !!)

I went Hazy for awhile because EVERY brewery jumped on the haze craze. There are some really good Hazy / Cloudy / Fuzzy / New Englands out there. But I have returned to my roots of good , strong , bitter IPA / DIPA/ TIPA and Quads ( when I can find them !!)
I'll snap out of it, eventually. I'll probably burn out on them and get back to my love of sampling a wide genre of brew.

I'm with you; New Belgium has rarely impressed me. I have tried more Ballast Point than you can shake a stick at and I have never returned to any of them for a second pint.

I did enjoy some of the Ballast Point stuff when they were sold here. The "wench" sours were decent and I liked the Sculpin IPA's sometimes. I use to blend the grapefruit sculpin with the habanero sculpin...that worked really well!

Mrs D's Crosstrek needed gas and it's check-up (oil, rotate tires etc) so I took it into work today and did a few hours while the car was in our shop. Did a few errands afterwards including another stop at Gravity Bound for this 32oz growler of "Proof of Life" vienna lager. Great malty lager...tastes like a dark amber beer might...and I couldn't resist adding one of their new glasses to my collection.
[IMG]

Thanks. It is crazy how little work there is to do now that we use pumps to move the liquor and wort.
Not pictured is the Poncho which is basically a 20 gallon igloo we put ice and water in to feed the chiller.

Of course the first time we used Pumpzilla the designer/nutty professor that designed it left the circulation dip tube (clamped tube in right kettle) open so fluid dynamics and back-pressure sent 6 gallons of Belgian Strong Dark out the back and onto the driveway. It was a bummer, but now it is just another funny story of being knuckleheads while brewing.

Reactions: GOS
When we build our new place next spring/summer we will once again have the space to get the brewing gear out, really looking forward to that!

Didn't post last night...long day at work with a couple out of town trips to pick up vehicles we bought....north to Santa Fe in the morning then south to Los Lunas just before calling it a day. Relaxed after dinner with some TV time before some music time.

Ex Novo "Flat Spin Heading Out To Sea" dry-hopped lager
Ex-Novo-Flat-Spin.jpg

Gravity Bound "Disregard All Regards" hazy IPA
Gravity-Bound-Disregard-NEIPA.jpg

Second Street "Southern Hemisphere" IPA
Second-Street-South-Hem2020-IPA.jpg

Shorts Brew. Bellaire MI --- a couple hours north of me. Here is a DIPA that is kind of rare. Only found in their Super Hoppy Holiday 2021 gift pack Double Psychedelic Cat Grass. 9.1 ABV and 75 IBUs and very good , I may add..............super dankster

doublecatgrass.jpg

Last edited:
Went into work this morning expecting to just spend 2 hours or so cleaning up a few odds and ends....5 hours later....beer run time!

One from the fridge....Ex Novo "Marryin' Berries" marionberry raspberry sour
Ex-Novo-Marryin-Berries-Sour.jpg

And a new one from the beer run - Bow & Arrow "Native Land" IPA
A National Collaboration beer, hosted by Bow & Arrow Brewing Co., brewed to acknowledge the contributions and history of Native American People in the US while also generating funds for Native non-profits that support causes important to contemporary Native People. Bow & Arrow is the first Native woman-owned and operated brewery in the US. Profits from this beer will be donated to First Nations Development Institute’s Stewarding Native Lands program. Brewed on the Ancestral lands of the Tiwa People. // Juicy, pillowy hazy IPA pops with Citra, Strata and El Dorado hops. Notes of citrus, mango and pineapple tropical fruit. ABV 6.1%
Bow-Arrow-Native-Land-IPA.jpg

Back