The QuadraphonicQuad Craft Beer/Microbrew thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll be an IPA evening for me, mostly west coast style. First up:

Steel Bender Brewyard "You'll Shoot Your IPA Out" (6.6% abv). Really solid west coast IPA, very worthy of its great name.
SBB-Shoot-IPAOut.jpg

More hoppiness from this weekend:

Ex Novo "To the Extreme" cold IPA. Lots of grapefruit notes on this nice one.
[IMG]

Gravity Bound "Mechanical By Nature" west coast IPA. Super stuff, simply delicious!
[IMG]

Ex Novo "Off the Record" hazy IPA
[IMG]

Gravity Bound "Key Notes" hazy IPA....totl citrus bomb...goes down so smooth!
[IMG]

20221119_Raspberry Tart.jpg

one of my rapidly declining New Glarus Raspberry Tart.
It is without a doubt my favorite fruit ale/lambic. Lindemans Fraimboise Lambic is really good but instead of the cloying sweetness, New Glarus has replaced it with a puckering tartness.
Anyone coming to Ohio via Wisconsin ... whose your buddy ....

catching up ...
2019 Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout
3 years old and still chock full of everything that makes it tasty to begin with. I am so happy AB-InBev didn't break this beer.
View attachment 85957

I still have one of those that’s unopened in my fridge, dated 2018. I heard it gets better the longer it sits in the bottle. But, up until what point does it start to go bad? o_O

I still have one of those that’s unopened in my fridge, dated 2018. I heard it gets better the longer it sits in the bottle. But, up until what point does it start to go bad? o_O
2019 is fine. Your 18 should be but I can tell you right now, Founders KBS > 4 years starts to turn.
You should probably crack it sooner rather than later.

View attachment 85959
one of my rapidly declining New Glarus Raspberry Tart.
It is without a doubt my favorite fruit ale/lambic. Lindemans Fraimboise Lambic is really good but instead of the cloying sweetness, New Glarus has replaced it with a puckering tartness.
Anyone coming to Ohio via Wisconsin ... whose your buddy ....
New Glarus is amazing! I love that brewery. One of my all time favorites and super rare to see anyone drinking it. I too have to import my own when I travel to Illinois and Wisconsin.

If it's in your fridge, it no longer can age gracefully. The moment you put it in fridge, that's the flavor profile it will have until you open it.

If it's in your fridge, it no longer can age gracefully. The moment you put it in fridge, that's the flavor profile it will have until you open it.
A fridge will greatly retard any additional change, but that will not be the final flavor profile.
no matter how you store it, higher ABV beers will loose heat as they age and other flavors will come out.
same for bitterness, especially from dryhopping, it will fade.

If you are trying to age it to see how it changes though, GOS is right, do not do it in a fridge. Cellering should be in a wine fridge, basement or something pretty temperature constant which will allow the beer to change; especially if it has live yeast still in it.

Lower abv beers will just go bad, you want to drink those fresh.

The longest I have aged is 10 years, a vertical we did of North Coast Old Stock Ale. The carmel malts really came forward and the bitterness faded; almost too much. At 6 years it was super smooth though.

Reactions: GOS
A fridge will greatly retard any additional change, but that will not be the final flavor profile.
no matter how you store it, higher ABV beers will loose heat as they age and other flavors will come out.
Yeah, I'm sure you are right on that point. I was thinking more of how you read about wines and sometimes beers, will only get better with additional aging. But yeah, I bet. A beer stuck in the fridge for a longer period of time may go to some other place. Maybe a place that is not necessarily a good place.

I wouldn't know, truthfully. If there is beer in my fridge, it only lasts a few days max. I don't buy in quantity.

I cellar quite a bit so having wasted more than my fair share of tasty ales, I have some experience on what works and what doesn't.
Keeping in mind that I like Stouts, Belgians, OId Ales and Barleywines so my experience is focused there.

1670696230115.png

Copied a portion of an article from CNN

When I was in college in the 1970s, my friends and I frequently bought a case of Schlitz beer to fuel a weekend of socializing.

It was a popular choice, not because it was “the beer that made Milwaukee famous,” as it boasted, but because it was relatively cheap, and actually had a pleasant, and pretty distinct, lager taste.

But by the late 1970s, people were buying cans of Schlitz and literally spitting it out. The taste had – inexplicably to many consumers – turned to garbage, though stronger words were used at the time. According to beer historian Martyn Cornell, it seems what happened was directly tied to a decision by the beer’s maker, the Joseph Schlitz Brewing Company, to incrementally change some ingredients and accelerate the brewing process, which in turn altered the taste.

It got so bad that after droves of consumers had bolted for Budweiser, Miller Lite or Coors, Schlitz launched an infamous ad campaign in which actors playing Schlitz drinkers – a boxer, a lumberjack with a hungry cougar – threatened to punch you out or have you mauled and eaten for lunch if you dared take away the “gusto” of a mug of Schlitz. These became some of the most memorable commercials in TV history, nicknamed the “Drink Schlitz or I’ll Kill You” campaign.

If you’re a young beer drinker, you likely have never even heard of the Joseph Schlitz Brewing Company, because since 1982 it has been resting in peace in the dustbin of history. (You can buy something called Schlitz some places today, a recreation of the old formula, but it’s now brewed by Pabst.)

If you are trying to age it to see how it changes though, GOS is right, do not do it in a fridge. Cellering should be in a wine fridge, basement or something pretty temperature constant which will allow the beer to change; especially if it has live yeast still in it.

Lower abv beers will just go bad, you want to drink those fresh.

The longest I have aged is 10 years, a vertical we did of North Coast Old Stock Ale. The carmel malts really came forward and the bitterness faded; almost too much. At 6 years it was super smooth though.
Damn it, you guys! Now I’ll have to take the bottle out of the fridge and store it at room temperature for 4 more years. 😂🤣

• Haha
Shorts Brewing. Double Freedom of 78. 11.2 ABV and a relatively mild 54 IBUs. Made with guava and boy can you taste it ! Interesting beer. Ill go 7.5 on a 10 as the unique taste starts to wear on you. Taste fatigue?

shortsdoublefreedom1.jpg

View attachment 86130

Copied a portion of an article from CNN

When I was in college in the 1970s, my friends and I frequently bought a case of Schlitz beer to fuel a weekend of socializing.

It was a popular choice, not because it was “the beer that made Milwaukee famous,” as it boasted, but because it was relatively cheap, and actually had a pleasant, and pretty distinct, lager taste.

But by the late 1970s, people were buying cans of Schlitz and literally spitting it out. The taste had – inexplicably to many consumers – turned to garbage, though stronger words were used at the time. According to beer historian Martyn Cornell, it seems what happened was directly tied to a decision by the beer’s maker, the Joseph Schlitz Brewing Company, to incrementally change some ingredients and accelerate the brewing process, which in turn altered the taste.

It got so bad that after droves of consumers had bolted for Budweiser, Miller Lite or Coors, Schlitz launched an infamous ad campaign in which actors playing Schlitz drinkers – a boxer, a lumberjack with a hungry cougar – threatened to punch you out or have you mauled and eaten for lunch if you dared take away the “gusto” of a mug of Schlitz. These became some of the most memorable commercials in TV history, nicknamed the “Drink Schlitz or I’ll Kill You” campaign.

If you’re a young beer drinker, you likely have never even heard of the Joseph Schlitz Brewing Company, because since 1982 it has been resting in peace in the dustbin of history. (You can buy something called Schlitz some places today, a recreation of the old formula, but it’s now brewed by Pabst.)

having drank this swill in high school and college - we affectionately - and correctly ( I might add ) called it Shitz

• Love
Back