The QuadraphonicQuad Wine Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The night of living dangerously....

A friend gave us a few small bottles of home made wine....500ml beer bottles with beer caps...yeah.

This is the gewurtz....was a bit fizzy on the pour....bit of a dank aroma....a few sips....down the drain.
KF-Gewurtz.jpg

My neighbor was a big wine fan. When he moved in he grew grapes in his back yard. After a few years the plants matured and he had what looked like a record crop. I've never seen so many grapes. He had to prop them up because the weight of all the grapes were damaging his plants.
Anyway that fall he harvested all the grapes and made what I heard was some incredible vino.
My neighbor who was friends with him sampled a bottle and said it was some of the best red wine he ever had.
Then in late October hurricane Sandy hit our neighborhood hard. The resulting flood from salt water ruined his plants and severely damaged his house.
So that was a one year vintage that few will ever taste. The guy is long gone. Moved away in disgust.

Dinner tonight was a basic spaghetti, tomato sauce, garlic bread...pretty much gotta have a chianti/sangiovese with it. On hand was this 2012 Italian chianti I got from WTSO (good deals to be had there, but you need to do a little research on each offering, and be willing to take a chance sometimes) a while back - did the trick.
Casalforno-2012-Chianti.jpg

Dinner tonight was a basic spaghetti, tomato sauce, garlic bread...pretty much gotta have a chianti/sangiovese with it. On hand was this 2012 Italian chianti I got from WTSO (good deals to be had there, but you need to do a little research on each offering, and be willing to take a chance sometimes) a while back - did the trick.
Casalforno-2012-Chianti.jpg
Wow, nice...2012!!

Wow, nice...2012!!

We've got just shy off 200 bottles on hand so we can get stuff and let it cellar for a while - reds often need to sit and mature a little longer than a lot of wineries are willing to do, and that's understandable....costs a lot to sit on inventory and the wines are ,usually most drinkable when they release them...aging more just makes them better!

We still have a few 2008/09/10 vintages on hand too - I always check the database to pick what should be dealt with first.

We've got just shy off 200 bottles on hand so we can get stuff and let it cellar for a while - reds often need to sit and mature a little longer than a lot of wineries are willing to do, and that's understandable....costs a lot to sit on inventory and the wines are ,usually most drinkable when they release them...aging more just makes them better!

We still have a few 2008/09/10 vintages on hand too - I always check the database to pick what should be dealt with first.

Now, you have just impressed me.....we don't buy volume and age......but how cool that is.

Whoa, that's cool. 🤩 I have between forty and fifty bottles, almost all Australian reds. My folks have rather more, as wine is their drink of choice. The oldest vintages I have are early 2000s, though two of the four bottles are magnums, so they'll last rather longer. I think the rule of thumb is about a 50% increase in cellar duration, when doubling bottle size. Occasionally I happen upon an older red in an independent bottle shop, that's worth gambling on. Even a white, oddly enough: last October, I tried a Yarra Valley wooded chardonnay from 1999, and it was delicious! Best $10 I've spent in a long time. 👌

Whoa, that's cool. 🤩 I have between forty and fifty bottles, almost all Australian reds. My folks have rather more, as wine is their drink of choice. The oldest vintages I have are early 2000s, though two of the four bottles are magnums, so they'll last rather longer. I think the rule of thumb is about a 50% increase in cellar duration, when doubling bottle size. Occasionally I happen upon an older red in an independent bottle shop, that's worth gambling on. Even a white, oddly enough: last October, I tried a Yarra Valley wooded chardonnay from 1999, and it was delicious! Best $10 I've spent in a long time. 👌

Lots of great wines from down under! Aussie shiraz of course, NZ suave blanc seem to be the biggies. I'd have to look it up as I don't recall the winery off the cuff, and of course what gets exported is not always the best of the lot, but we always loved to have this GSM blend (grenache, syrah, mouverdre) with burgers made from ground kangaroo.

Lots of great wines from down under! Aussie shiraz of course, NZ suave blanc seem to be the biggies. I'd have to look it up as I don't recall the winery off the cuff, and of course what gets exported is not always the best of the lot, but we always loved to have this GSM blend (grenache, syrah, mouverdre) with burgers made from ground kangaroo.
Ah, the GSM is a powerhouse blend! Suits any BBQ'd red meat, I reckon. I love the big, bold - some would say brash - Aus reds. We do a reasonable job of the softer red styles, too, particularly in Tasmania. There's a festival every year in Melbourne called Pinotpalooza, which pretty much explains itself. ;) I have little affinity for sauvignon blanc, I'm afraid; NZ are famous for it, though, as you say. Their pinots are also well-received, internationally. 🍷

What's the oldest wine y'all've had recently?

My parents have far too many bottles and they keep buying more at well above replacement rate. As such, they have some decently old stuff that has been well-stored in their Vinotheques. They have long been members of Ridge Vineyards out of the Santa Cruz Mountains at the southwestern edge of the San Francisco Bay Area. In the past several years, together, we have unearthed some Ridge Cabernets from the early '80s that still had backbone. In particular, I remember an '82 single-vineyard that was quite scrumptious.

What's the oldest wine y'all've had recently?
Ah, good question! Usually the wines I drink are under five years old, with some in the 10-15 range, on special occasions. As it happens, there was a most unexpected find that I enjoyed with my parents and sister last Saturday: Rosemount Estate Shiraz ..... 1986! :ROFLMAO: Not spectacular, by any means, yet the nose had taken on a charming, muscat-like character. Tasted a bit thin, though it was only 12% to start with, which could be why. Still, went very well with BBQ'd pork. Ullage was minimal, just below base-of-neck. I filtered & decanted it into a carafe, then let it breathe for close to an hour before pouring. 🍷

I didn't manage a photo before the bottle was emptied 😁 but yesterday evening I enjoyed a nice, moderately aged 2013 CR Barossa Shiraz, from Chris Ringland Wines. Started the bottle with a nice roast beef dinner, and continued it over a few hours with a cheese & charcuterie platter. A nice treat, and as my friends were all drinking lager or vodka, I had it to myself, heheh! Typically sells here for roughly $25 (US$17), and the current vintage is 2017.

No photos, but...

Went wine tasting yesterday in the Dundee Hills AVA (Willamette Valley, OR). Hit Stoller, Remy (tiny), De Ponte (beautiful location), and Methven's new tasting room in Dundee. The clear winners, to me, were all at Methven. All their wines are made from estate-grown grapes in the Eola-Amity Hills AVA. Their 2013 Estate Cuvée Pinot Noir is excellent, while the 2014 Jill Marie Pinot Noir is an incredible value at $25. We also tasted a $79 Pinot I now can't find online, which was out-of-this-world. If you're tasting in Dundee or Eola-Amity, don't sleep on Methven Family Vineyards.

Tonight, with dinner, we enjoyed a 2015 Stoller Reserve Pinot Noir and a 2016 Remy Kiona Vineyard Sangiovese (grapes from Washington State). The 2015 Stoller is last year's release, and currently better-drinking than the new 2016 release, which may or may not rise to the same level with bottle aging. We were advised by a staff member at Stoller that 2015 was a particularly good vintage, so perhaps the 2016 won't ever be as good. We also tasted at Remy thanks to this Stoller staffer, who recommended their Sangiovese. The 2016 was indeed quite good, but I think it will improve with age.

Roasted lamb leg for Easter dinner, Mrs DC loves her zinfandel with lamb so we tried a bottle of this 2016 vintage from Mountain Head (Sonoma, CA) that we got a good deal on from WTSO.com. California Zin is becoming kinda like the IPA's of wine - who can make the biggest and boldest....sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. This one was okay, a little harsh, but being a 2016 I think another year (or two) relaxing will make it a VG+ for the price...I'll sit on the other bottles we have for a while and see if that theory pans out.
Mountain-Head2016-Zin.jpg

Reactions: GOS
Drank a 2008 Silver Oak Alexander Valley with the lamb-didn't do much for me. Not much depth and pretty primary fruit. The best wine of the weekend was a 2006 Le Gode Brunello. Decanted for a couple of hours which was needed as this is a powerful wine just starting to move into prime time. I've really enjoyed the various 2006 Brunellos I've had but no rush to drink them.

Tri-tip beef, yukon golds and asparagus for dinner, opened this 2012 Meritage blend (merlot, zin. & syrah) from Pedroncelli Winery in Sonoma County. A very decent winery, not high-end by any means, but very good when you want that sub-$20 bottle, great value.
Pedroncelli-2012-Meritage.jpg

Last night we grilled some very nice ribeye steaks and enjoyed this french Cahors appellation 2015 malbec.
Cause-2015-Malbec.jpg

Reactions: GOS
Back