• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

    Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

    Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

The QuadraphonicQuad Wine Thread

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Glenshoreham

Well-known Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2018
Messages
127
Location
Melbside
Steaks for us, too, yesterday evening. 😁 Accompanied them with a 2012 Chapel Hill Abacus grenache/shiraz/mourvèdre. Quite a smooth drop. I’d only tried two of their wines before: the Abacus’ sibling shiraz, and their Parson’s Nose shiraz (more recently renamed simply The Parson). Both have that good McLaren Vale bite to them, yet it was fun to explore a softer side to the label. The Abacus bottles retail here for around $22 (~US$15), and The Parson for $17-18 (~US$12).
 

rawmacias

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Joined
Jun 2, 2012
Messages
353
Location
Merced, Calif
Just had lunch with some family I haven't seen in twenty years. Got invited to a family (mothers side) reunion in August . It will be at the E 16 Winery in Somerset , Ca. I just recently found out that a family member (mothers side) is the owner . So it will be great to find out some history . I know that my Grandfather was a winemaker . Us boys used to do a little tasting when the family was out taking care of the vineyards back in the 50's.
40835
 

Glenshoreham

Well-known Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2018
Messages
127
Location
Melbside
Nice! I wonder if Tabor Hill derives from Tábor, in the present Czech Republic. :unsure: Meanwhile, I get to relax after some low-stress gardening, with a glass of white from the Bellarine peninsula, southwest of Melbourne. 😋 I'm sure I won't be the first to lament the lack of white wine emoticon. 😛
41024
 

Glenshoreham

Well-known Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2018
Messages
127
Location
Melbside
This is it, I think: the greatest zin I've ever tasted. Enjoyed with roast lamb and root veg on a cold evening, followed by a cheese platter. Almost totally black, and please excuse the port glass I'm drinking it from: I needed to be sure I proceeded slowly, as it's a very heavy hitter, sitting at - wait for it - 17%. A huge amount of colour and flavour are packed into the remaining 83%. :LOL: @doppelbock, you mentioned that zinfandel in California represents the wine industry's equivalent to IPA. This drop probably corresponds to something like Stone's RuinTen IPA.

Not cheap at $35 (~US$24), though for me, utterly worth it. I'm unsure of the oak regime used; likely new AP John American puncheons, considering the winery. I'm hoping to visit the place itself next weekend; it's about 3½ hours' drive away, and fortunately I won't be on my own. The recommendation on the label is to cellar until 2019-2021, and I'm pleased to report I've squirreled three more bottles away in the cellar. Might enjoy one each year. ;)🍷

41247
 

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Joined
Apr 23, 2013
Messages
13,235
Location
Central Illinois
This is it, I think: the greatest zin I've ever tasted. Enjoyed with roast lamb and root veg on a cold evening, followed by a cheese platter. Almost totally black, and please excuse the port glass I'm drinking it from: I needed to be sure I proceeded slowly, as it's a very heavy hitter, sitting at - wait for it - 17%. A huge amount of colour and flavour are packed into the remaining 83%. :LOL: @doppelbock, you mentioned that zinfandel in California represents the wine industry's equivalent to IPA. This drop probably corresponds to something like Stone's RuinTen IPA.

Not cheap at $35 (~US$24), though for me, utterly worth it. I'm unsure of the oak regime used; likely new AP John American puncheons, considering the winery. I'm hoping to visit the place itself next weekend; it's about 3½ hours' drive away, and fortunately I won't be on my own. The recommendation on the label is to cellar until 2019-2021, and I'm pleased to report I've squirreled three more bottles away in the cellar. Might enjoy one each year. ;)🍷

View attachment 41247
Not sure how I've missed these posts.......so.....is the Zin super Plum flavored, or what?
 

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Joined
Apr 23, 2013
Messages
13,235
Location
Central Illinois
I would love it if you all who live in wine country, or even those of you who often try out new wines.......tell what you paid for a bottle. That helps put it all in perspective...at least for me.

I'm not the kind of guy to go out and spend much more than $23-25 for a bottle.......I prefer the $15-20 range to be honest. I'd drink cheaper, if it truly is a great wine. I'm not interested in wine that isn't good.

Also - I am a terrible snob. Cabernet S is my all time favorite and I can't find it in myself to appreciate any other kind. So, if any of you winos can point me to another wine that can compete with Cabernet in terms of depth of flavor, body and red....please let me know.

I do NOT prefer Cabernet's that lean towards jam. I honestly hate that, meaning...I tend to not like Zinfandel...at least the Zinfandels I've had.

Malbecs are great, but I still like Cabernet S better. :)
Ah, I see I spelled out my preferences in this post. lmao
 

doppelbock

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Joined
Jul 1, 2005
Messages
2,196
Location
Albuquerque, NM
I compare everything to Cabernet. So......is this a bold red? Never heard of it....
It's not a very common Italian varietal, only grows in a small region. Apparently a relative of the sangiovese (chianti) but is a little bit bolder than the average chianti but not as bold as a cab suav.. Went well with the meal as I expected, have 3 more bottles on hand as I got a really sweet deal on them from WTSO.
 

Glenshoreham

Well-known Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2018
Messages
127
Location
Melbside
It's not a very common Italian varietal, only grows in a small region. Apparently a relative of the sangiovese (chianti) but is a little bit bolder than the average chianti but not as bold as a cab suav.. Went well with the meal as I expected, have 3 more bottles on hand as I got a really sweet deal on them from WTSO.
I have a bottle of Conte Di Campiano Susumaniello (2015, I think) and am unsure quite what to drink it with. :unsure: Veal scaloppine, perhaps? A nice home made bolognese sounds like a great pairing, though. 😋
 

Glenshoreham

Well-known Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2018
Messages
127
Location
Melbside
Not sure how I've missed these posts.......so.....is the Zin super Plum flavored, or what?
It has some black plum, along with black cherry. Not as savoury as a cabernet, though still drier than some other zins I've tried. The winery does produce a cab sauv, though not every vintage. Nice black olive notes to that one, and their most recent (2017) retails for $25 (~US$17).
 
  • Like
Reactions: GOS
2
Top