The QuadraphonicQuad Wine Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We made a last minute decision the other night to have spaghetti and Mrs D wanted wine with it....found this 2012 Dolcetto from local NM Vivac Winery in the wine fridge red zone, time to enjoy I'd say, and we did.
Vivac-2012-Nebbiolo.jpg

Roast duck for dinner last night and this 2014 tempranillo from local winery Casa Abril was very nice.
Casa-Abril-2014-Tempranillo.jpg

Roast duck for dinner last night and this 2014 tempranillo from local winery Casa Abril was very nice.
Casa-Abril-2014-Tempranillo.jpg
Damn, 2014 huh? How was it? I had to look up Tempranillo, as I was not familiar. Says, in general, it's more a grape to be blended as it's a fairly neutral flavor profile. But what about the 2014? Did it take on quite a bit of oak? :)

Tempranillo is often blended but also holds up well on its own, the lighter profile works well with something like duck. This vintage was not heavily oaked and was really smooth and easy. We have some newer bottles here too.

Christmas brought forth a very special bottle of 2002 Krug champagne. Exceptional and I can see how it fetches the prices it does. My solo bottle was a lucky find in a closeout bin. Doubt I'll ever drink another.

Christmas brought forth a very special bottle of 2002 Krug champagne. Exceptional and I can see how it fetches the prices it does. My solo bottle was a lucky find in a closeout bin. Doubt I'll ever drink another.
Had a nice Bollinger at Thanksgiving. Don't imagine I'll be having more of that anytime soon, either.

...Also - I am a terrible snob. Cabernet S is my all time favorite and I can't find it in myself to appreciate any other kind. So, if any of you winos can point me to another wine that can compete with Cabernet in terms of depth of flavor, body and red....please let me know...

Just came upon this old post!!! I too am a confirmed Cab S. devotee, but the long lost brother of Cab S. is Carmenere that was rediscovered in Chile, and now there is some planted in Australia and USA. The Chilean Grand Reserves are truly wonderful with 5-10 years age, at accessible prices. I share your view that some Pinots are indeed THIN, but try a mature Pinot from South Africa. Clearly much lighter than a ¨meaty¨ Cab S., but definitely flavorsome.

My general experience is that there are too many over-priced boutique Cab S. wines with elegant presentations and florid descriptions, that finally are just ¨nice young wines¨ from here today, gone tomorrow, trendy new wine makers.
Oops :):cool:

Just came upon this old post!!! I too am a confirmed Cab S. devotee, but the long lost brother of Cab S. is Carmenere that was rediscovered in Chile, and now there is some planted in Australia and USA. The Chilean Grand Reserves are truly wonderful with 5-10 years age, at accessible prices. I share your view that some Pinots are indeed THIN, but try a mature Pinot from South Africa. Clearly much lighter than a ¨meaty¨ Cab S., but definitely flavorsome.

My general experience is that there are too many over-priced boutique Cab S. wines with elegant presentations and florid descriptions, that finally are just ¨nice young wines¨ from here today, gone tomorrow, trendy new wine makers.
Oops :):cool:
Oh yeah. I've had many Carmenere from Chile. Actually, had them while in Chile on business sitting on the Pacific coast. Good stuff for sure. I had forgotten about them.

Oooh, I've tried a couple of Carménères, one from Chile (Arboleda), and one from the Murray-Darling region in Australia (Alejandro). Both were in the A$20 (~US$15) area, and very nice with barbecued steak. I also have a fondness for straight Durif and Petit Verdot, both of which do quite well most years in Australia's hottest wine regions. 😋🍷 These would be my recommendations for Cabernet competitors, though nothing is truly the same, of course.

D'oh! I shouldn't be thinking about wine at work, at 7 o'clock in the morning. 😏

Mrs D brought home some italian food last night and wanted red wine....looked in the wine fridge red zone and found this bottle we've had for several years and just never got around to opening. It's blend called "Texas Rosso", not sure of exactly what anymore but this particular place - Duchman Winery near Fredericksburg TX basically only grows italian varietals. We bought an assortment of stuff when we visited there and all have been very good indeed.
Duchman-2012-Texas-Rosso.jpg

With dinner last night (grilled lamb leg steak with some sautéed spinach)...one that Mrs D really likes....Alexander Valley Vineyards "Temptation" zinfandel vintage 2015. Great wine with the food!
AVV-2015-Temptation-Zinfandel.jpg

Reactions: GOS
Back