The QuadraphonicQuad Wine Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2006 Ramey "Larkmead" CA cab last night in a particularly sweet spot. Unfortunately, I believe it's the last bottle of 6 and the best which shows this wine needs cellar time. Served with marinated flank steak, local yellow squash and Yukon gold mashed potatoes.

Cool I think it's pretty cool if you live close to the vineyards- I am to some here in NYS.
I saw this and want to share:
A guy walks into the bar of a restaurant and goes to the bartender and asks "how much for a beer?" The bartender replies "$1". The customer completely amazed, orders a beer then asks the bartender "Well then how much for a NY sirloin, with side of mashed potatoes and salad, and an entire cheesecake for desert?" The Bartender reply's "$5". The guy still amazed then orders everything and after he is done eating his meal then says "Wow, this place is amazing, I really wish I could meet the owner of this place". The bartender then says "Oh well, he's upstairs in his office with my wife". The guy looks all confused then asks "What is he doing upstairs in his office with your wife?" The bartender then says "The same thing I'm doing to his business".

Trisaetum and Utopia in the Ribbon Ridge AVA.

Nope, not hit either but I'll make note and try get there next timer we're visiting up there. Our plan usually means family inn Portland, then a night or two in McMinnville to use as a base for checking out wineries - a cool b&b there has done us very well. I can't recall all the places we've done there, but a couple faves would be Airlie (their Foch is very nice) and Montinore for a couple of their whites.

Thanks for starting this off, JediJoker. Yesterday I attended a cheese festival, at which there were also wine stalls. Tasted a few medium-dry reds from a couple of wineries, and ended up buying a couple of bottles from one I hadn't heard of before: Bigibila Wines. They hail from the central-Victorian township of Moonambel, which is roughly between Maryborough and Stawell. I bought a lovely savoury 2017 cabernet franc, and a couple of bottles of a 2008 shiraz / cabernet sauvignon / cabernet franc / merlot blend, called Harmony. 🍷

Thanks for starting this off, JediJoker. Yesterday I attended a cheese festival, at which there were also wine stalls. Tasted a few medium-dry reds from a couple of wineries, and ended up buying a couple of bottles from one I hadn't heard of before: Bigibila Wines. They hail from the central-Victorian township of Moonambel, which is roughly between Maryborough and Stawell. I bought a lovely savoury 2017 cabernet franc, and a couple of bottles of a 2008 shiraz / cabernet sauvignon / cabernet franc / merlot blend, called Harmony. 🍷

Ooh, sounds pretty fine. If a '17 franc is good now then cellaring for another year or two ought make it even better. Really like cab franc and generally find that barrel aging is good to a point, then more bottle aging after gets it to its best.

Ooh, sounds pretty fine. If a '17 franc is good now then cellaring for another year or two ought make it even better. Really like cab franc and generally find that barrel aging is good to a point, then more bottle aging after gets it to its best.

Cheers doppelbock; that's great to hear. Single varietals really interest me, and Francs are hard to find here, in that form. Leconfield Wines produce a tasty one, but not every year. Their current vintage (2017) yielded one, so I'll try to chase down a bottle. :) A couple of Adelaide Hills wineries also offer straight or near-straight Franc, but they aren't available in Melbourne. You're definitely right about the age of Bigibila's Franc; I'll be laying it down until at least the winter after next. 🍷 I have plenty to keep me occupied in the interim! 😋

Nope, not hit either but I'll make note and try get there next timer we're visiting up there. Our plan usually means family inn Portland, then a night or two in McMinnville to use as a base for checking out wineries - a cool b&b there has done us very well. I can't recall all the places we've done there, but a couple faves would be Airlie (their Foch is very nice) and Montinore for a couple of their whites.
I could tell you a bunch of wineries in the northern Willamette Valley area to hit.

I would love it if you all who live in wine country, or even those of you who often try out new wines.......tell what you paid for a bottle. That helps put it all in perspective...at least for me.

I'm not the kind of guy to go out and spend much more than $23-25 for a bottle.......I prefer the $15-20 range to be honest. I'd drink cheaper, if it truly is a great wine. I'm not interested in wine that isn't good.

Also - I am a terrible snob. Cabernet S is my all time favorite and I can't find it in myself to appreciate any other kind. So, if any of you winos can point me to another wine that can compete with Cabernet in terms of depth of flavor, body and red....please let me know.

I do NOT prefer Cabernet's that lean towards jam. I honestly hate that, meaning...I tend to not like Zinfandel...at least the Zinfandels I've had.

Malbecs are great, but I still like Cabernet S better. :)

Oregon Pinot Noirs can. But you have to get the good stuff. The sweet spot for the wineries I like the best around here is around $45 a bottle...

Love Cabernet Sauvignon.

My go to when I am not pairing is "Joel Gott 815" the taste is pretty darn good for the $16 range.

:smokin

Oregon Pinot Noirs can. But you have to get the good stuff. The sweet spot for the wineries I like the best around here is around $45 a bottle...

Well, that falls way outside what I can afford (or willing to afford). Maybe on very special occasion, would I spend $50 on a bottle. And, it better damn well be way better than those half the price.

I would love it if you all who live in wine country, or even those of you who often try out new wines.......tell what you paid for a bottle. That helps put it all in perspective...at least for me.

I'm not the kind of guy to go out and spend much more than $23-25 for a bottle.......I prefer the $15-20 range to be honest. I'd drink cheaper, if it truly is a great wine. I'm not interested in wine that isn't good.
I live in easy distance (less than 90 minutes' drive) from two of the greater metropolitan Melbourne wine areas: Mornington peninsula, and Yarra valley. Both offer some great cool- and moderate-climate reds, as well as whites. Being a poor scientist 😅 I'd almost never spend over USD30 on a bottle of wine. (Too much surround material to save up for!) Fortunately for me, we've an abundance of supply here, and - all taxes included - I find there's an excellent variety of interesting, flavoursome drops available in the USD15-20 area (that's $22-30 for us, at present). 🍷

Reactions: GOS
Well, that falls way outside what I can afford (or willing to afford). Maybe on very special occasion, would I spend $50 on a bottle. And, it better damn well be way better than those half the price.
I am sure there are solid Oregon Pinots in your price range. Is there Trader Joes in your area of Illinois?

Well then I would bet Oregon wine is gonna be spendy there. You're too far away.

Back