The QuadraphonicQuad Wine Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adam @fredblue keeps harping about Port....so I had to do some research as I've never had port. Hmmmmm. Originated from Portugal! I didn't know that.....PORTugal. Imagine that.

Port wine is typically richer, sweeter, heavier, and higher in alcohol content than unfortified wines. This is caused by the addition of distilled grape spirits to fortify the wine and halt fermentation before all the sugar is converted to alcohol, and results in a wine that is usually 19% to 20% alcohol.

Port is commonly served after meals as a dessert wine in English-speaking countries, often with cheese, nuts, and/or chocolate; white and tawny ports are often served as an apéritif. In Europe all types of port are frequently consumed as aperitifs.

you betta believe it baby, its the dog's danglies! (i'm gonna be hiiiiiiigh as a kite in about half an hour) 😋 🍷

Last night with dinner (grilled pork for me, shrimp and scallops for Mrs D) a very nice dry local one....2017 viognier from Casa Rondeña
Casa-Rondena-2017-Viognier.jpg

My magnum of
2005 Domaine Font de Michelle Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Etienne Gonnet
was in a great place last night with grilled carne asada and golden mashed potatoes. I usually save the mags for wine dinners but not going to any wine dinners or any dinners for a while.

I hear that. 😰 I only have a few magnums, one of which I'd been saving for years, expressly to open at my parents' 40th wedding anniversary. That has just gone by, and we're unable to celebrate it. :( Lucky that one has a year or two left in it.

We opened this one last night to have with our steak - a 2012 bordeaux blend from Cathedral Ridge Winery (Hood River, Columbia Valley, Oregon).
Cathedral-Ridge-Bordheauxd-Red.jpg

Here is one of my all time favorite cabernet's. As you see, at Binny's, it runs in the mid teens. To my palate, the flavor is simply outstanding. I've had wines in the $100 range that don't come close. In my goofy little town, they have this exact wine going for $12.99 a bottle. Wonderful!!

1589935554447.png

View attachment 50959

I've been enjoying this bottle over the past few days. Beautiful deep, inky color, good fruit, hint of spice. It definitely improves as it breathes. If you have a bottle cellared, now is a good time to drink it!

I also used some to deglaze a pan and the sauce was magnificent. 😋
Man, using a nice red for deglazing is the way to go! I love to use a strong cabernet to add to a crockpot, along with a nice beef roast. Wow!!

Spaghetti dinner...something to pair with that....gotta go with a sangiovese/chianti or a dolcetto...so how about this 2012 dolcetto from Hye Meadow (Hye, Texas, grapes from NM). Nice wine, really good in fact. When we were there we got 2 bottles and vowed to stash one for a year or two, aged beautifully, wonderful with the homemade tomato meat sauce on the pasta.
Hye-Meadow-2012-Dolcetto.jpg

One of the local wineries has a private club area for exclusive service etc....we're members. The winery tasting room is only open for "to go" stuff but this weekend the club was allowed to open up the patio so we stopped in for a glass....viognier for me.
Casa-Rondena-Viognier2019.jpg

Opened and decanted a 2013 and 2012 riserva brunello (different producers) last night. We drank half of each with seafood pasta and will finish them tonight with a grilled prime ribeye. Both good but young with the riserva bit smoother so far.

Grilled steak last night and that means a nice red wine is on the cards.

Opened up the 2011 blend of 48% Cab Sauv, 29% merlot and 23% petit verdot from Sister Creek Vinyards (Tx, USA). I know Texas is not really on the radar for most when it comes to wine, but this area in the hill country has some extremely good wines being made, and this was one of them - thoroughly enjoyable!
Sister-Creek-2011-Cab-Sauv-Merlot-Petite-Verdot.jpg

I know Texas is not really on the radar for most when it comes to wine, but this area in the hill country has some extremely good wines being made, and this was one of them - thoroughly enjoyable!
I can see Texas Hill Country being just about perfect for viticulture. Hell, this photo looks positively Mediterranean:

8C17E73B-DE31-4E03-92CD-EF962F30039A.jpeg

Grilled steak last night and that means a nice red wine is on the cards.

Opened up the 2011 blend of 48% Cab Sauv, 29% merlot and 23% petit verdot from Sister Creek Vinyards (Tx, USA). I know Texas is not really on the radar for most when it comes to wine, but this area in the hill country has some extremely good wines being made, and this was one of them - thoroughly enjoyable!
Sister-Creek-2011-Cab-Sauv-Merlot-Petite-Verdot.jpg
I'll be damned. It never occured to me they were making wines in Texas.

I can see Texas Hill Country being just about perfect for viticulture. Hell, this photo looks positively Mediterranean:

View attachment 53908
Where else could you get audio/video/music information and viniculture posts...you gotta love this forum...at one point in my life I considered being an oenologist...I mean it sounded so cool...I could spend my days drinking wine and reading John Steinbeck...those were the days my friends:unsure:

Hey! Snoop Dog enters the bidness like so many other celebrities alive or not:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/snoop-dogg-wine-label-debut/index.html
I would give it a try!
I must admit that I never "got" Snoop Dog"....probably because I don't like rap...but he seems sort of a pathetic looking rube to me:censored:...since I have been taking care of my sister I have been exposed to "day time" TV shows she watches...and it doesn't take much these days to be considered a "celebrity"....I mean there are "youtube" celebs now:rolleyes:..OK...back to the your regular programming:ROFLMAO:

I must admit that I never "got" Snoop Dog"....probably because I don't like rap...but he seems sort of a pathetic looking rube to me:censored:...since I have been taking care of my sister I have been exposed to "day time" TV shows she watches...and it doesn't take much these days to be considered a "celebrity"....I mean there are "youtube" celebs now:rolleyes:..OK...back to the your regular programming:ROFLMAO:

Snoop Dogg has released 17 albums & has a est net worth of $124 million, more than most of those celebrities you mentioned & have rightfully dismissed. Not that I knew that off the top of my head. I had to consult the Google Empire. I don't own a single album of his. He's always been an interesting personality to me.

Whether it's Coppola wines or Ryan Reynolds gin celebs seem to love getting in on the booze train. I wonder if a winery/liquor company approaches the celeb with an offer & mainly the high profile star is just offering a celebrity endorsement for a brand. Or are they more proactive in actually creating a particular style of adult libation?

Not that price is a perfect indicator, but I've never had a wine I would buy again under $20. So I wonder what Snoops wine at $12 would be like? Really the combination of Syrah, Zinfandel & Merlot is just beyond my ability to visualize. So curiosity will definetly get the best of me & I'll be seekeing out Mr. Dogg's wine. I shall report back!

Here is one of my all time favorite cabernet's. As you see, at Binny's, it runs in the mid teens. To my palate, the flavor is simply outstanding. I've had wines in the $100 range that don't come close. In my goofy little town, they have this exact wine going for $12.99 a bottle. Wonderful!!

View attachment 51332
An astute comment! Too many boutique wines are priced at $100+X, where X is the value of the wine and $100 is the cost of an exquisitely artistic label and marketing presentation. So many times I have found a richly mature 5-10 year red with a modest label languishing on the shelf below insipid 1-2 year old ¨boutique designer reds¨ (truly great as cooking wines?!?) at over twice the price !!!

Back